• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

It's possible that the book you're referring to was actually New Mutants #87, which DID have a much lower print run/distribution than later issues. The "100k" figure, while inaccurate, could be based on the 110k figure that was tossed around (I think even by Liefeld) in the early 90's.

Nope #98. You defended, hotly, where it was a bottom dweller that wasn't "out there". Ridiculous. Your case was wildly_fanciful_statement at the time and still. Did you have a case of the comics at the time? Because others did. I can tell many stories of the Mannheim shows where there stacks of comics. Arch. Where are you? Release that discussion. If not for a historical perspective.

Jim

If you can't produce my actual quotes, then this is all just unnecessary hostility for no purpose. I'm perfectly willing to reason with you, and if I said what you're claiming I said (itself a concession to you), then I'm perfectly willing to reconsider...but saying "you said this, and that, and the other" without any proof isn't reasonable.

We don't generally indict, much less convict, people in this country on the basis of what someone thinks they said "years ago", but cannot provide any evidence for.

What a bizarre turn of the conversation.

from New Mutants 89 - Avg. Print Run: 313,910 Avg. Distribution: 210,460

from New Mutants 99 - Avg. Print Run: 289,387 Avg. Distribution: 182,599

-------

that would imply that NM was selling worse during liefield's run than before. that doesn't make a lot of sense.

It was. Remember, that SOO only covers up to issue #96, and includes newsstand returns. New Mutants was not an ultra hot seller, and the first Liefeld book to crack 500,000 copies printed was #100.

And, of course, those are averages. On average, the book's sales continued to steadily decline...about 13% that year....until you get to X-Tinction Agenda, but that would not have contained #97 (which had a higher print run than #98), or the rest of the run.

And where do you get that metric? You are unbelievable. Still living the dream...

Jim

"Cap City*** for issues cover dated 2/91:

New Mutants #98 - 55,200

Alpha Flight #93 - 21,400

Excalibur #34 - 37,400 (PS. Excalibur numbers blew New Mutants out of the water for all of 1989 and half of 1990.)

West Coast Avengers #67 - 28,500

Conan #241 - 11,800

Thor #429 - 36,000

Daredevil #289 - 25,200

Captain America #382 - 28,800

Iron Man #265 - 31,800

You are comparing a title that WAS just coming off an incredibly successful crossover, was gaining a lot of popularity because of Cable and Liefeld, and was a mutant title. Comparing it to the absolute dregs of the Marvel line at the time doesn't say much, but it does say something that the Cap City orders for NM #98 were only about double those.

***Cap City accounted for about 20-30% of the market at this point."

The above puts it in perspective. NM 98 was 1/2 - 1/4 of "hot" titles, but it was beating up a number of mainstream titles that none of us would associate with being uncommon.

You're plagiarizing my posts. ;)

It's possible that the book you're referring to was actually New Mutants #87, which DID have a much lower print run/distribution than later issues. The "100k" figure, while inaccurate, could be based on the 110k figure that was tossed around (I think even by Liefeld) in the early 90's.

Nope #98. You defended, hotly, where it was a bottom dweller that wasn't "out there". Ridiculous. Your case was wildly_fanciful_statement at the time and still. Did you have a case of the comics at the time? Because others did. I can tell many stories of the Mannheim shows where there stacks of comics. Arch. Where are you? Release that discussion. If not for a historical perspective.

Jim

Again:

Find it yourself. (shrug) The boards' native search function may does suck, but a hypothetical thread where RMA said NM98 had a tiny print run/low distribution wasn't likely "deleted" (moved to moderation section). You don't need Arch.

Hey, look at this post from the "purged archives" (and before RMA joined).

-------

that would imply that NM was selling worse during liefield's run than before. that doesn't make a lot of sense.

It was. Remember, that SOO only covers up to issue #96, and includes newsstand returns. New Mutants was not an ultra hot seller, and the first Liefeld book to crack 500,000 copies printed was #100.

And, of course, those are averages. On average, the book's sales continued to steadily decline...about 13% that year....until you get to X-Tinction Agenda, but that would not have contained #97 (which had a higher print run than #98), or the rest of the run.

And where do you get that metric? You are unbelievable. Still living the dream...

Jim

This is a great example of someone who gets some sort of false impression stuck in their head, and carries it around with them for years, which shades their entire perspective about a person. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

I don't have any idea what I did to Jim here, or why he's so angry at me, but it was obviously something, something he's carried around for a long time, and which has caused him to make claims about something that may or may not (another concession to you, Jim) have been said at one time or another, but which he cannot provide any evidence of (yes, yes, sentence ended a preposition with.)

-------

Does the SOO (Date of Filing: October 1, 1990) cover issue 96 (cover date: December 1990)?

Just goes to show that if anyone ever became interested in conan again, the last few years of the title, not just 275, were not produced in large numbers. Although I never seem to have a problem picking up a few at each show...

Of course, the current conan series probably doesn't have much more of a print run than 11.8k whereas I'm guessing in 1990 it was more like 50-70K (of course, 241 isn't exactly hard...there are 32 listings right now!)

-------

Does the SOO (Date of Filing: October 1, 1990) cover issue 96 (cover date: December 1990)?

Well, see, there's the question, isn't it? It's really a bit too close to call.

New Mutants #96 was published Oct 9, 1990. So, technically, they might have had the print run set by Oct 1, but I'm not super familiar with how publishers dealt with SOO filing AND...certainly that was obviously before they had numbers for distribution.

But....after a while, I considered the timing of the filing, and how it coincided with the release of the "last issue" of the year. It also makes sense that the SOO would use the "Jan-Dec" issues, for tidiness.

So, it could be #94, #95, and they could have fudged the numbers for #96. In the past, I've said #94 or #95.

I'd sure like to know the correct answer.

In any event, it's probably one of those issues.

-------

Those numbers are really low compared to most key coins which were made in the multiple millions and those key coins have value.

It doesn`t really matter if NM 87 and 98 had print runs about 300,000 because the demand is there.

People always try to make a big thing about the supply,but forget demand.

Supply is overrated,while demand is underrated.

2c

-------

Jim

This is a great example of someone who gets some sort of false impression stuck in their head, and carries it around with them for years, which shades their entire perspective about a person. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

I don't have any idea what I did to Jim here, or why he's so angry at me, but it was obviously something, something he's carried around for a long time, and which has caused him to make claims about something that may or may not (another concession to you, Jim) have been said at one time or another, but which he cannot provide any evidence of (yes, yes, sentence ended a preposition with.)

Nope. I don't carry grudges. You were wrong and called you out on it. Not a crime. Your challenge of that cause a pause though. If that's important to you then so be it. I read a couple posts here and laughed at where it evolved to.

This Forum used to be serious comic collectors talking serous issues. Now after perusing the various threads, it's more a joke. Your previous erroneous posts on the availability of issues ha made thin almost a joke.

Jim

-------

Jim

Nope. I don't carry grudges. You were wrong and called you out on it. Not a crime. Your challenge of that cause a pause though. If that's important to you then so be it. I read a couple posts here and laughed at where it evolved to.

This Forum used to be serious comic collectors talking serous issues. Now after perusing the various threads, it's more a joke. Your previous erroneous posts on the availability of issues ha made thin almost a joke.

Jim

Show me the posts, and let's examine them. This isn't a difficult request, and I've been completely willing to give your claims the benefit of the doubt....a courtesy you are utterly unwilling to extend to me.

Just goes to show that if anyone ever became interested in conan again, the last few years of the title, not just 275, were not produced in large numbers. Although I never seem to have a problem picking up a few at each show...

Of course, the current conan series probably doesn't have much more of a print run than 11.8k whereas I'm guessing in 1990 it was more like 50-70K (of course, 241 isn't exactly hard...there are 32 listings right now!)

I really don`t think it will matter much if Conan ever got hot again,as the market seems to be all about keys such as first appearances,significant game changing stories or hot artists.

The days of someone trying to get a complete set of Fantastic Four 1-102 or Uncanny X-MEN 94- 143 seemed to have passed.