• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

Not sure that Punisher's a good example to use as a proxy for eBay's change on the market because the character was out-of-favor overall for a few years in the late '90s.

The three titles were cancelled, the Bernie Wrightson mini bombed & the character didn't get respect again until the Garth Ennis series.

I know because I picked up a 9.0 copy of ASM 129 from my local comic shop in the late '90s for just $100. It had been a solid $200-$225 book at that same shop just a few years before.

Ditto, Punisher War Journal 1 went from being a $20 book to $4 (or less) during that time period.

This I think started the Punsher craze. To me it`s undervalued.

PunisherLimitedSeries1.jpg

Not sure that Punisher's a good example to use as a proxy for eBay's change on the market because the character was out-of-favor overall for a few years in the late '90s.

The three titles were cancelled, the Bernie Wrightson mini bombed & the character didn't get respect again until the Garth Ennis series.

I know because I picked up a 9.0 copy of ASM 129 from my local comic shop in the late '90s for just $100. It had been a solid $200-$225 book at that same shop just a few years before.

Ditto, Punisher War Journal 1 went from being a $20 book to $4 (or less) during that time period.

Yep. The Zeck mini is definitely the book that lit the fire for the character.

Yep. The Zeck mini is definitely the book that lit the fire for the character.

on a related note, this series has my least favorite Zeck art.

Joe Collector was the one claiming ASM #129 was "$25 on eBay", which I don't believe.

---

ok. i thought it was you, so i wasn't going to dispute it. usually if you have a specific number you don't pull it out of your rear. i wasn't actually putting the number out there other than in anticipation of the counter-argument to NM 98 sticking around --- "but ASM 129 went down 90%!". if it went down 80% that's a lot too.

the comparison i was making was to deadpool given that punisher was also huge (and really playing devil's advocate, because i don't think NM 98 is dropping much for a while)

There are a couple of hundred copies of New Mutants #98 for sale on eBay right now, with several more hundred recently sold. Even the most cursory glance will tell even the freshest novice that this isn't rare. It isn't 1991 anymore, and buyers aren't confined to information from a few dealers.

Weren't you the guy a couple years ago defending that this comic wasn't common? Just like I said at the time, EBay and CGC has proven that there are HG issues galore out there. Funny to see you now accepting that fact based on your attitude back then.

Jim

There are a couple of hundred copies of New Mutants #98 for sale on eBay right now, with several more hundred recently sold. Even the most cursory glance will tell even the freshest novice that this isn't rare. It isn't 1991 anymore, and buyers aren't confined to information from a few dealers.

Weren't you the guy a couple years ago defending that this comic wasn't common? Just like I said at the time, EBay and CGC has proven that there are HG issues galore out there. Funny to see you now accepting that fact based on your attitude back then.

Jim

That is a mischaracterization. RMA's position has been to refute broad statements like "NM98 had a massive print run." It did not, for the time frame in which it debuted.

Wow. Thank you.

:o

Holy blast from the past!

First a resurrected Supa thread.

Then a squidmo appearance.

Now awe4one / Jim out of nowhere!

:o

That is a mischaracterization. RMA's position has been to refute broad statements like "NM98 had a massive print run." It did not, for the time frame in which it debuted.

No. NM98 was a hot comic at the time. All X-comics were. He claimed that they weren't until #100. That's untrue. 98 sold really well and is demonstrated by the number of HG copies graded and sold. This comic is relatively common and not an overlooked comic. Did people then know Deadpool would be what he is today? No. But the comic sold really well at the time and the remanents are now being shown. He denied that years ago.

Jim

Jim

Wow. Thank you. Yes, that's correct. It is neither rare, nor did it have a super massive print run, relative to its time frame.

No. NM98 was a hot comic at the time. All X-comics were. He claimed that they weren't until #100. That's untrue. 98 sold really well and is demonstrated by the number of HG copies graded and sold. This comic is relatively common and not an overlooked comic. Did people then know Deadpool would be what he is today? No. But the comic sold really well at the time and the remanents are now being shown. He denied that years ago.

Jim

Not correct, and, as always, context is everything.

#98 was a "hot comic" like all New Mutants at the time were hot comics. You won't find a quote of me saying "New Mutants #98 wasn't a hot comic", or something along those lines (and, of course, what does "hot" actually mean? It's useless when discussing sales and the like.)

In this thread, you'll find fairly exhaustive analyses of this book, by myself and others, giving it context of where it was at the time, relative to everything happening around it.

Are you aware, for example, that the Capital City order numbers for X-Men #273, the book that came out the same month as NM #98, are nearly DOUBLE NM #98's numbers? And that Spiderman #7, also the same month, are nearly quadruple? And that was before the madness really kicked into high gear.

You'll have to find the exact quote of mine you're referring to. I suspect you won't find it, because I've never said anything like that, much less denied that it sold really well.

Sorry. Maybe you're thinking of someone else...?

The CGC boards...where you are not only held to things you said, but may have changed your mind about later, from a decade ago...you're also held to the things you DIDN'T say.

:cloud9:

Not complaining, the alternative, where no one is ever held to anything they say, is much, much worse.

:D

Jim

Not correct, and, as always, context is everything.

#98 was a "hot comic" like all New Mutants at the time were hot comics. You won't find a quote of me saying "New Mutants #98 wasn't a hot comic", or something along those lines (and, of course, what does "hot" actually mean? It's useless when discussing sales and the like.)

In this thread, you'll find fairly exhaustive analyses of this book, by myself and others, giving it context of where it was at the time, relative to everything happening around it.

Are you aware, for example, that the Capital City order numbers for X-Men #273, the book that came out the same month as NM #98, are nearly DOUBLE NM #98's numbers? And that Spiderman #7, also the same month, are nearly quadruple? And that was before the madness really kicked into high gear.

You'll have to find the exact quote of mine you're referring to. I suspect you won't find it, because I've never said anything like that, much less denied that it sold really well.

Sorry. Maybe you're thinking of someone else...?

No. You implied it was a comic that didn't find much distribution. If I remember right it was barely a 100K. You implied no one was watching the title and as a result was rarer. That is definitely not true. Comic dealers were buying boatloads of X-Marvel comics since Wolverine #1 came out. Wish Arch could resurrect the thread to show the hypo racy.

Jim