• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will the New Mutants 98 bubble burst?
1 1

1,121 posts in this topic

PS. your sig pic is disturbing.

:D

Who thought that ad campaign was a good idea? lol

My wife texted it to me this morning and coffee came out of my nose when I looked at it.

Anyway, I have taken it off because I can't figure out how to make it not take up a whole screen. It's funny, but I should respect the eyes of others.

CG MAD LIBS

Insert the words or phrases from the WORD BASE into the appropriate spaces.

When you write _____________, you clearly ____________ what you're talking about. In fact, when you state ____________, you are _________ yourself ____________.

What I'm really implying is that I am ___________ ____________. I would never ________, but let's not kid ourselves about _________.

Once your _______ and _______ of the hobby reach the ____________ levels of my own, which is about as likely as ______________, we can talk again.

WORD BASE

• put that in writing
  • whatever asinine opinion you're spouting at the moment
  • Jack Kirby rising from the grave to do his first SS event
  • do not know
  • with the naive exuberance reserved for the mentally damned
  • what I'm really getting at
  • insight
  • an intellect that exceeds not only yours but that of most humans on the planet, and certainly the ninnies who frequent this board
  • frighteningly vaunted
  • contradicting
  • in possession of
  • anything
  • knowledge

"Long-term success ultimately is driven by a character's abilitity to resonate with generations of children and find sufficient space in the hearts and minds for nostalgia to fill in adulthood. This requires well-rounded, stand-alone characters that can be written over multiple generations and remain relevant. Good examples are Spider-Man and more recently Wolverine."

This says nothing about why Deadpool can't or doesn't resonate.

“His long term success in movies is also unproven as his character (beyond his origin story) largely depends on the ability to be increasingly inappropriate and vulgar with his co-stars. If you read his comics all he does is break the 4th wall, be violent and make sexual/violent references towards the others. It will be difficult to keep this schtick fresh and still build a brand without denigrating the superhero co-stars to a point where they become parodies of themselves and no longer bankable. The used two throw-away stars in his first movie, there isn't an endless list of these and there is only so much believability in that type of rinse and repeat approach. Marvel certainly isn't going to let him drink grade their premium A listers. Everybody is doing backflips over a one-trick pony. He just doesn't have any depth or breadth to bridge generations once his extreme form of humor is no longer core to pop culture.”

The same could be about for Wolverine. Much like Deadpool, Wolverine was not popular right out of the gates (remember everyone thought Cable would be the big book?). After Wolverine joined the X-Men, it was his dark, brooding attitude that made him a star. After all these years, the "dark" concept in comics is still entrenched. Despite being over used, over played... Wolverine still remains popular and this is reflected in the 8000+ copies of Hulk#181. 20 years later, people are more cynical, cautious and feel let down by their employers, government, etc. (Nielsen report, 2006). Many of us are tired of Wolverine, but we still recognize the importance of his 1st appearance. Enter sarcasm, humor (please, can we all stop saying 4th wall... it's becoming another one of those cliches) and suddenly it hits home with the current audience. Marve and DC have another hit with Deadpool and Harley. Will they ever be big as Wolverine, maybe, maybe not... but they are on their way... and they are big enough as is for their 1st appearances to have value. They reflect the new cultural mindset. If this doesn't make them relevant... what does? How are they any different than what Wolverine did for his generation?

CG MAD LIBS

Insert the words or phrases from the WORD BASE into the appropriate spaces.

When you write put that in writing, you clearly with the naive exuberance reserved for the mentally damned what you're talking about. In fact, when you state Jack Kirby rising from the grave to do his first SS event you are insight yourself frighteningly vaunted.

What I'm really implying is that I am in possession of. I would never what I'm really getting at but let's not kid ourselves about knowledge

Once your do not know and an intellect that exceeds not only yours but that of most humans on the planet, and certainly the ninnies who frequent this board of the hobby reach the whatever asinine opinion you're spouting at the moment levels of my own, which is about as likely as anything we can talk again.

hm

"Long-term success ultimately is driven by a character's abilitity to resonate with generations of children and find sufficient space in the hearts and minds for nostalgia to fill in adulthood. This requires well-rounded, stand-alone characters that can be written over multiple generations and remain relevant. Good examples are Spider-Man and more recently Wolverine."

“His long term success in movies is also unproven as his character (beyond his origin story) largely depends on the ability to be increasingly inappropriate and vulgar with his co-stars. If you read his comics all he does is break the 4th wall, be violent and make sexual/violent references towards the others. It will be difficult to keep this schtick fresh and still build a brand without denigrating the superhero co-stars to a point where they become parodies of themselves and no longer bankable. The used two throw-away stars in his first movie, there isn't an endless list of these and there is only so much believability in that type of rinse and repeat approach. Marvel certainly isn't going to let him drink grade their premium A listers. Everybody is doing backflips over a one-trick pony. He just doesn't have any depth or breadth to bridge generations once his extreme form of humor is no longer core to pop culture.”

The same could be about for Wolverine. Much like Deadpool, Wolverine was not popular right out of the gates (remember everyone thought Cable would be the big book?). After Wolverine joined the X-Men, it was his dark, brooding attitude that made him a star. After all these years, the "dark" concept in comics is still entrenched. Despite being over used, over played... Wolverine still remains popular and this is reflected in the 8000+ copies of Hulk#181. 20 years later, people are more cynical, cautious and feel let down by their employers, government, etc. (Nielsen report, 2006). Many of us are tired of Wolverine, but we still recognize the importance of his 1st appearance. Enter sarcasm, humor (please, can we all stop saying 4th wall... it's becoming another one of those cliches) and suddenly it hits home with the current audience. Marve and DC have another hit with Deadpool and Harley. Will they ever be big as Wolverine, maybe, maybe not... but they are on their way... and they are big enough as is for their 1st appearances to have value. They reflect the new cultural mindset. If this doesn't make them relevant... what does? How are they any different than what Wolverine did for his generation?

You clearly haven't read Deadpool if you cannot tell the difference between his one-dimensional nature and that of characters with depth and breadth. Deadpool is about making violent and sexually suggestive jokes - that is everything he is. Nothing has ever been added to his character and writer after writer continue to push the same cheap inappropriate laughs that won't last forever. Deadpool is his own baby hand pleasuring himself - moderately humorous now, definitely not the stuff worth remembering long-term.

Harley is the same way - she is a submissive, BDSM laced, supporting character that is loved for her looks and sexual innuendo. If it wasn't for female cosplay (and the dichotomy of "look but don't touch" combined with the misogyny of comic culture) she wouldn't even exist anymore. Only recently has anything of substance been written outside of that. However, she is easily replaceable at current - like all sex symbols they come and go with the tide.

This.

It's not like Deadpool is a new character.

He's been around for 25 years, which means he has proven popularity spanning more than one generation.

For perspective, he's only a year younger than Wolverine was when the first X-Men movie came out.

This.

It's not like Deadpool is a new character.

He's been around for 25 years, which means he has proven popularity spanning more than one generation.

For perspective, he's only a year younger than Wolverine was when the first X-Men movie came out.

How so? He was obscure until a few years ago.

Being around for a number of years and proving you can span generations are two different things. The Lone Ranger was hugely popular in the 50's, sat dormant for decades and then returned in 2013 - does that prove he can span generations? Clearly not.

He failed miserably the first time around because the current tide of pop culture didn't link into his inappropriate brand of one-dimensional humor. Current pop culture embraces it.

However because he isn't anything more than the cheap laughs he garners, he will fade when the trend changes - which it inevitably will.

Long-term success ultimately is driven by a character's abilitity to resonate with generations of children and find sufficient space in the hearts and minds for nostalgia to fill in adulthood. This requires well-rounded, stand-alone characters that can be written over multiple generations and remain relevant. Good examples are Spider-Man and more recently Wolverine.

Or maybe you don't understand this generation and this character resonates with them.

Have you looked at the current generation? lol

Apologies to the current generation for insulting you, just a little bit. :devil:

Marketing marketing marketing.

They are pushing this movie like crack.

You make it sound like Marvel and Disney aren't pushing their movies.

Deadpool is just hitting it's target market better than Marvel has been.

The market is out there and they've managed to reach the viewers they wanted to hit.

Long-term success ultimately is driven by a character's abilitity to resonate with generations of children and find sufficient space in the hearts and minds for nostalgia to fill in adulthood. This requires well-rounded, stand-alone characters that can be written over multiple generations and remain relevant. Good examples are Spider-Man and more recently Wolverine.

Or maybe you don't understand this generation and this character resonates with them.

Apologies to the current generation for insulting you, just a little bit. :devil:

Exactly, my 10.5 year old picks up the house phone and answers "Juan's Butt Cleaning Service." He thinks he's really hilarious.

He is the deadpool generation. (And he supposedly has an IQ just shy of 150, which I'm not buying, but those school test proctors are always right...)

Which is why my wife dug this up (we are hoping he might eat some vegetables now, look how happy that guy looks...):

IMG_3366_zpsqqzmnoyh.jpg

Edited by the blob

Exactly, my 10.5 year old picks up the house phone and answers "Juan's Butt Cleaning Service." He thinks he's really hilarious.

He is the deadpool generation. (And he supposedly has an IQ just shy of 150, which I'm not buying, but those school test proctors are always right...)

Yup. Our kids are all 13-20 and the majority of them are the same: random, off the wall, everything is hilarious and nothing is serious.

And they're all very smart kids that get strong grades in school and have good social skills. Their humor has shark-jumped over anything I can relate to.

Would this current Deadpool movie have been as successful if it was PG-13 instead of R? Did the R rating actually increase ticket sales or hold it back?

No idea. Would it have been R without the gratuitous sex scene and stripper club scene? Frankly, I don't think they added anything to the movie. I don't think they do R just for language, do they? There was a fair amount of brain splattering though, which might have gotten it an R rating. About as much as John Wick, which also got an R, although there might have been strip club type nudity in the background in John Wick, I forget.

They will grow up eventually and want more than poop and hyper violent jokes. Of course kids of today like it, by emulating it they get away with adult themed activities they would normally have no view of.

He does the same thing to everyone, all the time. There has to be more than that for Deadpool to be anything other than a short-term fad.

Edited by rfoiii

Marketing marketing marketing.

They are pushing this movie like crack.

You make it sound like Marvel and Disney aren't pushing their movies.

Deadpool is just hitting it's target market better than Marvel has been.

The market is out there and they've managed to reach the viewers they wanted to hit.

Take a step back and look at how much more marketing there was out there on Deadpool. It was outside of the box, brilliant work and very different than what we have seen. From they start they crafted a story that Ryan Reynolds championed this project, faked leaked photage and created a narrative that lead the fans to believe they were part of the creation and release of the movie. Again, brilliant, but completely and utterly untrue. They even went as far as creating silly little sub-plots where Ryan stole the Deadpool suit because he could. There were Valentine's day ads for H's sake. Give me a break, either it didn't happen or they let him have it. Companies do not let employees steal, it was an elaborate story and it worked.

In reality movie studios do not let actors who failed multiple times in a genre push them to create more movies and spend millions. It was a stunt. A very well planned stunt and it worked like a charm, but a stunt nonetheless.

Now compare that to everything Marvel has advertised to date, Deadpool activity blew it out of the water. Now that it worked look how Marvel is jumping on the bandwagon with "team Cap or team Iron Man" Civil War advertisements. After Deadpool their tone lightened and became more interactive - they saw a new method and are emulating it.

Edited by rfoiii

You clearly haven't read Deadpool if you cannot tell the difference between his one-dimensional nature and that of characters with depth and breadth. Deadpool is about making violent and sexually suggestive jokes - that is everything he is. Nothing has ever been added to his character and writer after writer continue to push the same cheap inappropriate laughs that won't last forever. Deadpool is his own baby hand pleasuring himself - moderately humorous now, definitely not the stuff worth remembering long-term.

Harley is the same way - she is a submissive, BDSM laced, supporting character that is loved for her looks and sexual innuendo. If it wasn't for female cosplay (and the dichotomy of "look but don't touch" combined with the misogyny of comic culture) she wouldn't even exist anymore. Only recently has anything of substance been written outside of that. However, she is easily replaceable at current - like all sex symbols they come and go with the tide.

Your right... I haven't read a single Deadpool book. But I also don't listen to new music or follow current trends... because the whole cultural world has become void of depth. Look at the current art world and what is being passed off as "art". Look at Hollywood movies... it's ALL violent and sexually suggestive. I can't even watch DC animation with my kids because it's sooo bloody violent for a cartoon. As for misogyny... this has been around since the dawn of man. It's in our advertising, it's in our entertainment, it's in our music, movies, apparel, products and even the food we eat.

The issues you cite against Deadpool are Harley are the changing times my friend. I'm old, closing in on 50. I worry for my children and I have deep concerns about the world they will grow up in. Case in point, have you taken a peak at the current trends in pornography lately? Imagine, billions of young kids watching young girls getting abused in what can only be described as consensual rape... all available at the click of a button. What do these images do to a society en masse over an extended period of time? And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

So, while I don't disagree with you on your opinion about Deadpool... like it or not... as an investment, I'm inclined to believe that the value will hold. My evidence is the larger social trends and shifting demographics that keep characters like Deadpool and Harley propped up. How do you stop such massive forces of change? I openly admit that I don't get the appeal. I'm not a fan of Deadpool and I'm one of the few people who didn't like his movie, nor do I buy his books. So, I say this from purely an objective, analytical perspective.

Is Deadpool a pyramid scheme or a game of hot potato. Damn right it is. But again, so is all of comics and other forms of investment. In fact, wealth itself is a pyramid scheme as banks continue to lend out money based on their gold reserve (or lack there of, to be more accurate). Cash is nothing but a I.O.U. which is why it's referred to as a "bank note". What amazes me is that banks are allowed to lend out money that they don't have. Imagine if I did that... they'd lock me up. Legalized crime... acceptable because it's supported by the government, who in turn is supported by corporations... ie; the banks. CRAZY right? Or why does the government continue to borrow from the banks and not the reserve? This way, even if they are charged ridiculous amounts of interests, at lease it all goes back to the people... and not into the pockets of Goldman Sachs. I digress (don't get me started on Goldman Sachs).

None of this makes sense and a time of reckoning is in our future. The rise of Deadpool is symptomatic of the larger issues but in the mean time... Hey! Let the comic party continue, because who cares about all that other stuff. It's a “downer” man, and people just wanna have fun.

Your right... I haven't read a single Deadpool book. But I also don't listen to new music or follow current trends... because the whole cultural world has become void of depth. Look at the current art world and what is being passed off as "art". Look at Hollywood movies... it's ALL violent and sexually suggestive. I can't even watch DC animation with my kids because it's sooo bloody violent for a cartoon. As for misogyny... this has been around since the dawn of man. It's in our advertising, it's in our entertainment, it's in our music, movies, apparel, products and even the food we eat.

The issues you cite against Deadpool are Harley are the changing times my friend. I'm old, closing in on 50. I worry for my children and I have deep concerns about the world they will grow up in. Case in point, have you taken a peak at the current trends in pornography lately? Imagine, billions of young kids watching young girls getting abused in what can only be described as consensual rape... all available at the click of a button. What do these images do to a society en masse over an extended period of time? And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

So, while I don't disagree with you on your opinion about Deadpool... like it or not... as an investment, I'm inclined to believe that the value will hold. My evidence is the larger social trends and shifting demographics that keep characters like Deadpool and Harley propped up. How do you stop such massive forces of change? I openly admit that I don't get the appeal. I'm not a fan of Deadpool and I'm one of the few people who didn't like his movie, nor do I buy his books. So, I say this from purely an objective, analytical perspective.

Is Deadpool a pyramid scheme or a game of hot potato. Damn right it is. But again, so is all of comics and other forms of investment. In fact, wealth itself is a pyramid scheme as banks continue to lend out money based on their gold reserve (or lack there of, to be more accurate). Cash is nothing but a I.O.U. which is why it's referred to as a "bank note". What amazes me is that banks are allowed to lend out money that they don't have. Imagine if I did that... they'd lock me up. Legalized crime... acceptable because it's supported by the government, who in turn is supported by corporations... ie; the banks. CRAZY right? Or why does the government continue to borrow from the banks and not the reserve? This way, even if they are charged ridiculous amounts of interests, at lease it all goes back to the people... and not into the pockets of Goldman Sachs. I digress (don't get me started on Goldman Sachs).

None of this makes sense and a time of reckoning is in our future. The rise of Deadpool is symptomatic of the larger issues but in the mean time... Hey! Let the comic party continue, because who cares about all that other stuff. It's a “downer” man, and people just wanna have fun.

One question - why the red font?