• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alamo City Comic Con -- September 11-13, 2015

148 posts in this topic

I was kind of hoping somewhere close. Would be willing to pay the extra few bucks for the food if it means I don't have to drive after having a beer or two.... or three.

If you can catch a ride with someone who will DD it is a win-win.

Luckily the venue for this is next to Rivercenter Mall. Plenty of free parking, food, beer, and margaritas!

I'd suggested the mall, but it sounds like a nonstarter with a big football crowd in town for the weekend. I imagine we'll hit it for dinner after load-in Thursday night, but Friday the concensus seems to be that we'll have better luck a bit further away from the convention center.

what's the word on dinner friday? how about Casa Rio? It appears to be close to the con and gets good marks, reasonably priced.

http://www.casa-rio.com/

I think we're on for something, it is just a matter of where. I'm happy for someplace walkable, but we'll see what the locals say when they chime in. So far the feeling seems to be that the area around the con may be too slammed.

Luckily the venue for this is next to Rivercenter Mall. Plenty of free parking, food, beer, and margaritas!

I'd suggested the mall, but it sounds like a nonstarter with a big football crowd in town for the weekend. I imagine we'll hit it for dinner after load-in Thursday night, but Friday the concensus seems to be that we'll have better luck a bit further away from the convention center.

Parking at Rivercenter is not free: Rivercenter Mall Parking and there is no parking attendant- you have to find one of the 5 kiosks to pay to get out of the damn place. I suggest that, if you are staying downtown and don't want to drive your car and give up your parking space and have to pay twice that you pair up with someone local. With the UTSA game across the street on Saturday along with the Con, wait times will be horendous around the River and the Convention Center. River Center Mall has a food court, but otherwise, bleh. In short, locals don't eat there. Ever. The closer you stay to the con, be prepared to do lots of walking and/or waiting.

The further away you get from the East end of Downtown SA where the Con and game are, the better- which means going west on Commerce or Cesar Chavez towards St. Mary's or Alamo in Southtown/King William (that's a bit of a walk) There you have Rosarios, El Mirador, La Tuna, Liberty Bar, Blue Star)or going North up 281 around Broadway and Grayson ((The Pearl area tons of places to eat, La Gloria, Southerleigh, The Grainery)), Mulberry (Augies BBQ, Good Time Charlie's, where we ate 2 nights last year) or Hildebrand (Koi Kawa, Tre, Boardwalk Bistro, Smoke (not sure it's open that late) which gives you all the local stuff, not tourist traps, but you are about 5-7 minutes drive from the convention.

Out of town guests should look at yelp or the SA Current dining guide. I will be with Weird Paper at our booth, and we are going to have a TON of GA/SA/BA and we will all be in the thick of it for all 4 days and by Friday evening we are going to be getting tired and I for one will look forward to eating out and having some beer and decompressing, but you gotta get outta the Convention Center/Alamodome epicenter to really do that. (thumbs u

Also- it looks like they are trying to kill fewer trees and are promoting a mobile app for the program guide, which includes all the con stuff, and some restaurants in the area too:

Guide Book App- ACCC2015

I just downloaded it on my phone- it's a generic app that ACCC2015 is participating in, so just type in ACCC2015 in the search field in the app- you can skip the registration and stuff, it's not necessary.

Updated board dinner list

Interested

mysterio

jaster-mereel

Weird Paper +2

Trev?

THB

Bubbagump +1

bug33fouf?

Meeklo?

Kaholo?

Able to drive (extra slots)

Weird Paper (1-2 extra)

THB (1 extra, 2 claimed)

Bubbagump (maybe 2 passengers)

Well we just figured out that there is a Thursday night preview, good thing my brother downloaded the app. You'd think that they might advertise that a bit more heavily. Wonder if anyone else setting up was unaware of that...

Well we just figured out that there is a Thursday night preview, good thing my brother downloaded the app. You'd think that they might advertise that a bit more heavily. Wonder if anyone else setting up was unaware of that...
Only because there was one last year... hopefully the organizers will have lanyards this time. :grin: