• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the future of PGX?

118 posts in this topic

My point was as I stated earlier, if PGX actually graded comics subjectively, nobody would care where or how many graders they had.

I still think three is better than one. A pro bout will have more than one judge. A pro football game will have more than one referee. A trial will have more than one juror.

My point was as I stated earlier, if PGX actually graded comics subjectively, nobody would care where or how many graders they had.

I still think three is better than one. A pro bout will have more than one judge. A pro football game will have more than one referee. A trial will have more than one juror.

Not disagreeing but In the NFL, ref's miss obvious calls that can cost a team the game all the time. At trial, OJ Simpson was found not guilty as was Casey Anthony. In Boxing/MMA fighters are robbed by judges all the time. Despite all the extra "experts" opinion is just that, opinion.

Not disagreeing but In the NFL, ref's miss obvious calls that can cost a team the game all the time. At trial, OJ Simpson was found not guilty as was Casey Anthony. In Boxing/MMA fighters are robbed by judges all the time. Despite all the extra "experts" opinion is just that, opinion.

As far as bouts and football matches, that's exactly why they have multiple referees (or judges for fights). Because as much as ten referees miss, a single referee working the game alone would miss more, right?

And the justice system is built on innocent until proven guilty. The justice system tries to error in favor of the plaintiff. Letting a couple guilty off the hook is better than executing someone who is innocent, which also happens unfortunately, but would happen a lot more often if a single juror was deciding the case. That's why a guilty verdict has to be unanimous. A single jurors doubt can stop someone from serving time.

As far as bouts and football matches, that's exactly why they have multiple referees (or judges for fights). Because as much as ten referees miss, a single referee working the game alone would miss more, right?

And the justice system is built on innocent until proven guilty. The justice system tries to error in favor of the plaintiff. Letting a couple guilty off the hook is better than executing someone who is innocent, which also happens unfortunately, but would happen a lot more often if a single juror was deciding the case. That's why a guilty verdict has to be unanimous. A single jurors doubt can stop someone from serving time.

But despite those 10 referees, they still miss calls that cost teams games. I remember watching a TV show where they found 27 separate people innocent in the state of Texas after being convicted by a jury of their peers. DNA evidence reversed their convictions but not until after spending years or decades in prison. So despite all the number of jurors, innocent people were wrongly convicted & had years of their lives wasted. Sometimes more people complicate things rather than help. If you were to ask 10 people their opinion on any particular subject, you would probably get 10 completely different answers.

CGC has also graded more than 2 million books - it's crazy to think that there wouldn't have been mistakes along the way.

When you say "People have resubmitted books that had blue labels come back with purple & actually some were purple that came back blue" you're talking about, what, 3-4 examples that have been highly publicized here on the boards? In the grand scheme of things, for a company that grades 1000s of books a month, it's not indicative of anything other than the fact that no company is perfect :thumbsup:

yup, it was never about the error, it was how you guys handled and treated the customer during the purple blue purple blue saga that made it so bad.

PGX had the potential to be a valuable company, but their greed and stupidity got the better of them. I wouldn't let one guy wreck my entire business and continue doing him favors. It is clear what is happening between certain parties and PGX.

PGX could have been big had it been managed correctly - clearly it hasn't and that likely isn't going to change anytime soon. Watching people throw away these fantastic opportunities just kills me. :screwy:

I'm wondering how much they actually pull in. Don't they charge like ten bucks for a grade? The slab probably cost a dollar, that leaves three dollars per grader. If they grade a hundred slabs a month that's $300 each. What if this guy is half their business?

Whoa! Three dollars for the grader?? Each?!? :ohnoez:

I've always imagined any pro grader not kickin' through 80 or so books per hour would be shown the door fairly quick. PGX or CGC or whoever. You know, averaging 15/25 seconds per book, or less.

Three bucks a book, I read that as, I don't know, Graders pulling a $240 per hour wage. :o:ohnoez:

But despite those 10 referees, they still miss calls that cost teams games.

Yeah, nobody is perfect. Do you think they would miss more or less calls if there was only one referee?

That's why more graders is better.

PGX had the potential to be a valuable company, but their greed and stupidity got the better of them. I wouldn't let one guy wreck my entire business and continue doing him favors. It is clear what is happening between certain parties and PGX.

PGX could have been big had it been managed correctly - clearly it hasn't and that likely isn't going to change anytime soon. Watching people throw away these fantastic opportunities just kills me. :screwy:

I'm wondering how much they actually pull in. Don't they charge like ten bucks for a grade? The slab probably cost a dollar, that leaves three dollars per grader. If they grade a hundred slabs a month that's $300 each. What if this guy is half their business?

Whoa! Three dollars for the grader?? Each?!? :ohnoez:

I've always imagined any pro grader not kickin' through 80 or so books per hour would be shown the door fairly quick. PGX or CGC or whoever. You know, averaging 15/25 seconds per book, or less.

Three bucks a book, I read that as, I don't know, Graders pulling a $240 per hour wage. :o:ohnoez:

That's a best case scenario, if the slab only cost a buck. I figure there's some real business overhead I left out. I didn't figure on a comic being graded in under a minute. How do you check every page, check for restoration, count pages, check for coupons, and decide the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 in under a minute? Or the difference between a 9.9 and a 10.0? Maybe that's how a TMNT 3rd print got in a 1st print slab. Fifteen seconds. If those guys with three million dollar books knew that grade was based on a fifteen second glance.

I was figuring on five minutes per grade minimum.

So I read through the entire thread on the other page. The thread could of been better modifed with certain posts deleted by the moderators. The constant asking about Ryan Elliot did not allow the thread to move forward. The conversation seemed more like trolls showed up to get Daniel worked up. As far as responses Daniel said nothing to me that would me think his organization is any better. There also seemed like one guy on board who kept pushing for PGX saying he submits so much stuff and no problems and that PGX books go for more than CGC books. Bottom line is when my group does it yearly test PGX is the only come we have only spoken to one person from and that is Daniel. So I think PGX is a one person operation.

So I read through the entire thread on the other page. The thread could of been better modifed with certain posts deleted by the moderators. The constant asking about Ryan Elliot did not allow the thread to move forward. The conversation seemed more like trolls showed up to get Daniel worked up. As far as responses Daniel said nothing to me that would me think his organization is any better. There also seemed like one guy on board who kept pushing for PGX saying he submits so much stuff and no problems and that PGX books go for more than CGC books. Bottom line is when my group does it yearly test PGX is the only come we have only spoken to one person from and that is Daniel. So I think PGX is a one person operation.

Basic and simple core questions have been dodged for 11 years.

Where are you located?

What type of security/vault/insurance covers my submissions?

How is your team more 'expert' than ,say, 3 random hobbyists?

Who is your Signature Authenticator?

That last question, professional signature authentication, is a solid legit "who is the person?" question. People who do it professionally will have resumes and associations as long as your arm, and rightly so.

Anyway, PGX's cloak is "just ask our customers". Any legit question being diverted with that "hey, look over there" instead of just providing the information asked.

PGX had the potential to be a valuable company, but their greed and stupidity got the better of them.

+1

And being just plain greedy. Now, I have to go and crack all my slabs to make sure they havent't been switched at birth. And " I just got off the phone with ma honey".

PGX had the potential to be a valuable company, but their greed and stupidity got the better of them.

+1

And being just plain greedy. Now, I have to go and crack all my slabs to make sure they havent't been switched at birth. And " I just got off the phone with ma honey".

That's when I muted it until the book was out of the holder.

Is the tmnt video still online?

I still think that TMNT video was a fake.

I am of the belief that he submitted a 3rd Printing and they mislabeled it. Then upon realizing that they mislabeled it, he cracked it, did a horrible job of acting surprised and then claimed they switched it to see if he could get some bank.

I am of the belief that he submitted a 3rd Printing and they mislabeled it. Then upon realizing that they mislabeled it, he cracked it, did a horrible job of acting surprised and then claimed they switched it to see if he could get some bank.

+1

It feels scripted and fake to me. It helps the narrative though.

Daniel did talk about this on the other forum and said just that.

He did end up paying out the guy who posted the video...

My memory of the story was the TMNT guy was told after he submitted that there were problems @ PGX and that he wanted to video cracking the book in case there were problems as he was planning on resubbing to CGC anyway.

Not sure why someone would need to resort to faking something like that with respect to PGX. They've consistently managed to demonstrate incompetence and fraud all on their own over the years without any outside assistance.

(shrug)

So who is buying PGX graded books? People who just don't know any of the history?

I've bought 2 or three. They were in auctions, they weren't expensive books, they weren't high grade, and I bought them based on what I graded them as based on the scans - based on what I would pay for raw for the same book.

I don't collect slabbed books of any kind, so I'm planning on cracking these out. When I have someone to witness it, just in case. ;)