• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the future of PGX?

118 posts in this topic

I have bought a few PGX books. Have not had a bad experience yet.

I had someone purchase a James O'Barr Crow book for me a few years ago as a gift. They purchased it from one of Ryan Elliott's accounts.

I wish I had kept the photos, as when I received it something didn't look right. It turned out to be a 2nd printing noted as a 1st printing, and it was drastically overgraded. I'm glad I broke it out of the case, because that is when we realized the 'mistake' that had been made.

To his credit, at least he took it back without a complaint once we sent him the photos.

Is the tmnt video still online?

I still think that TMNT video was a fake.

I am of the belief that he submitted a 3rd Printing and they mislabeled it. Then upon realizing that they mislabeled it, he cracked it, did a horrible job of acting surprised and then claimed they switched it to see if he could get some bank.

+1

It feels scripted and fake to me. It helps the narrative though.

Yea he said that since then there have been other people trying to get money out of him from label errors.

Is the tmnt video still online?

I still think that TMNT video was a fake.

I am of the belief that he submitted a 3rd Printing and they mislabeled it. Then upon realizing that they mislabeled it, he cracked it, did a horrible job of acting surprised and then claimed they switched it to see if he could get some bank.

That seems pretty likely, but it still goes to show how poor PGX is at records and such. They should have been able to provide proof it was a mislabel and show an invoice for a grade provided to a TMNT third print.

Not sure why someone would need to resort to faking something like that with respect to PGX.

Money. He submitted a $20 comic and got back a slab with a label indicating a four figure value. He got paid out about $800 i think, and still got to keep his comic if I remember correctly. He ended up buying a first print with whatever he got paid out, in pretty high grade, maybe a 9.8. Can't remember exactly, but he made out like a bandit on that deal. It wasn't about destroying the credibility of PGX, it was about getting paid.

Talking about credibility; the real question is why would someone film the unslabbing of a comic book (other than for tutorial purposes) and mention "ma honey"?

If he was in anyway nervous about unslabbing the book based on previous misdemeanours of PGX (which would be understandable) it would be for evidential purposes. Would anyone really act and behave in the way he did?

My theory is the guy in the video has a severe case of Alzheimer's and needs to record every waking minute of his day to ensure he remembers who he was on the phone to before he looking at his comics.

Not sure why someone would need to resort to faking something like that with respect to PGX.

Money. He submitted a $20 comic and got back a slab with a label indicating a four figure value. He got paid out about $800 i think, and still got to keep his comic if I remember correctly.

He allegedly commits out-and-out fraud against PGX, and PGX responds by shelling out dough for him? Hard to believe.

I am more than okay with many of you thinking that PGX books are untouchable trash.

I'm more than ok with you cleaning up that trash.

As I said...

EDIT - Why show my hand?

Because of THIS thread...... I decided to crack out the only PGX book I have, right now, just a minute ago, and y'know..... the grade looks about right :shy:

But now .... I CAN READ IT !! :acclaim:

001_zps35e3a258.jpg

0022_zpsb7074b96.jpg

I am more than okay with many of you thinking that PGX books are untouchable trash.

As I said...

EDIT - Why show my hand?

Is a rose inside an ugly vase any less a rose? I collect comics, not molded pieces of polystyrene.

Because of THIS thread...... I decided to crack out the only PGX book I have, right now, just a minute ago, and y'know..... the grade looks about right :shy:

But now .... I CAN READ IT !! :acclaim:

001_zps35e3a258.jpg

0022_zpsb7074b96.jpg

Pretty bad spine roll, and I agree the grade is probably accurate. But if somebody is going to spend the money to slab THIS book, then they may as well spend the money to press it so it will grade nicer. It would have graded a bit higher with a press.

What do you think the future of PGX is going to be?Are they truly on the edge with Danial's recent flame out on another board?Is the other company the final nail?Interested in your thoughts

cXWPD38.jpg

Their future same as their past.... shady.

Are you saying everything that gets graded should be pressed?

:popcorn:

I read it that a book like that with a spine roll should be pressed and I agree.

I didn't read it as all slabbed books should be pressed.

As I said...

EDIT - Why show my hand?

Is a rose inside an ugly vase any less a rose? I collect comics, not molded pieces of polystyrene.

As long as you can tell it's a rose...or you accept the risk of getting a dandelion. :grin:

As I said...

EDIT - Why show my hand?

As long as you can tell it's a rose...or you accept the risk of getting a dandelion. :grin:

I can usually tell the difference between a rose and a dandelion :takeit: And I think dandelions are actually pretty and get a bad rap. But you make a valid point. (thumbs u Consider though It is a point that is valid in purchasing comics period. Slabbed by CGC, PGX or any of the other places I could mention and likely get in trouble for with the mods. OR raw. Buyers should be diligent.

Looking books over closely, only purchasing from sellers that take returns, paying via credit card or paypal - these are wise things to do regardless of the book and it's current state of encapsulation or lack thereof.

I can usually tell the difference between a rose and a dandelion :takeit: And I think dandelions are actually pretty and get a bad rap. But you make a valid point. (thumbs u Consider though It is a point that is valid in purchasing comics period. Slabbed by CGC, PGX or any of the other places I could mention and likely get in trouble for with the mods. OR raw. Buyers should be diligent.

The worry with PGX is missed restoration, or other defects. The idea that Ryan Elliot may have free access to the equipment, or that Mr Patterson refuses to identify PGXs resto expert erodes credibility.

You can try to arbitrage the situation, though, if you accept the risk. Buy the PGX books at a market discount, and hope to get an equivalent product to a CGC book.