• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the future of PGX?

118 posts in this topic

oh man that "flame out" on the other boards was one of the most classic reads in message board histories.

Heres the coles notes; another message board was created and there is a sub section for every grading company. Each company was contacted and asked to join the discussion to better communicate with customers and no doubt help grow the community.

Well the PGX one the owner/founder Daniel took them up on the offer.

Answered questions about PGX's reliability and when asked about the Ryan Elliot.

Daniel admitted that they made mistakes in the past but have since cut all ties with Ryan Elliot - the guy who buys restored CGC and send them to PGX and gets unrestored - and buys CGCs, trims them and gets huge grade pumps at PGX.

Than the question was asked "who are you graders" with Daniel, not wanting to disclose that information - he did give the first names of the graders.

Than someone went on facebook and did some online investigating - found the full names of the graders and did a friend list search - showing Ryan Elliot, his ex wife and his new fiance all as being facebook friends with the graders. There are even statuses where Ryan comments and likes posts - all within 60 days of being posted.

Anyways, Daniel took this as a personal attack and instead of explaining it left the board in a fire rage saying things like "none of my customers care about this stuff"

CGC only lets us talk about PGX because of how much of a joke they are.

If you have something to hide the best strategy is to remain silent. 'Jedi mind-tricks' never work.

oh man that "flame out" on the other boards was one of the most classic reads in message board histories.

Heres the coles notes; another message board was created and there is a sub section for every grading company. Each company was contacted and asked to join the discussion to better communicate with customers and no doubt help grow the community.

Answered questions about PGX's reliability and when asked about the Ryan Elliot.

Daniel admitted that they made mistakes in the past but have since cut all ties with Ryan Elliot - the guy who buys restored CGC and send them to PGX and gets unrestored - and buys CGCs, trims them and gets huge grade pumps at PGX.

Than the question was asked "who are you graders" with Daniel, not wanting to disclose that information - he did give the first names of the graders.

Than someone went on facebook and did some online investigating - found the full names of the graders and did a friend list search - showing Ryan Elliot, his ex wife and his new fiance all as being facebook friends with the graders. There are even statuses where Ryan comments and likes posts - all within 60 days of being posted.

Anyways, Daniel took this as a personal attack and instead of explaining it left the board in a fire rage saying things like "none of my customers care about this stuff"

Appreciate the Coles Notes (I also appreciate the reference to Cole's - I used to love that bookstore).

I don't really want to delve into Daniel's personal life but I am curious about their business practices.

I've bumped into Ryan Elliott at shows and I am sure he knows who I am but pretends he doesn't.

If Ryan Elliott has cut ties with PGX, why is he at so many shows buying books (and either grading them or reholdering CGC books in PGX holders) and selling them online?

This leads me to not believe anything that Daniel says. That is something I'd like to hear a rebuttal to.

[

I've bumped into Ryan Elliott at shows and I am sure he knows who I am but pretends he doesn't.

So he's like all rational CGC board members? lol:insane:

Pretty much. :devil:

I read this a few days back and realized that they literally guarantee nothing.

"PGX’s grading is based on the PGX Grading Standards (more nebulous standards) developed by PGX and the opinions of the PGX Grading Team and does not guarantee complete acceptance in the marketplace. The assigned grade represents our opinion, as grading is subjective. A restoration check is made on every book that comes through PGX. Every effort is made to detect restoration, but we do not guarantee the result."

A restoration check is made on every book that comes through PGX. Every effort is made to detect restoration, but we do not guarantee the result."

JIM 83. blue - purple - blue.

A restoration check is made on every book that comes through PGX. Every effort is made to detect restoration, but we do not guarantee the result."

That was epic! You think they got their magic coin from NGC?

The sequence was actually blue, purple, definitely purple, blue, no it's purple.

The sequence was actually blue, purple, definitely purple, blue, no it's purple.

lol (thumbs u

And now it resides here

raiders5.jpg

What do you think the future of PGX is going to be?Are they truly on the edge with Danial's recent flame out on another board?Is the other company the final nail?Interested in your thoughts

Wow, that entire thread could've been pulled from ComicsPriceGuide forums circa 2005. Same legit and obvious questions, same non-answers, same mea culpa spin and departure.

Here's a question: Why hasn't anyone in your neck of the woods ferreted out those answers over the decade? Not in a stalker way, but in a investigative journalistic blogger type way?

It just seems curious that a company could remain 'hidden' for a decade without some enterprising person pealing back all the layers. In the age where even the most private celeb selflies get drug into the light, somehow they've kept a lid on basic company details for 10 years and counting. Seems like such an anomaly for this era.

Appreciate the Coles Notes (I also appreciate the reference to Cole's - I used to love that bookstore).

I don't really want to delve into Daniel's personal life but I am curious about their business practices.

If Ryan Elliott has cut ties with PGX, why is he at so many shows buying books (and either grading them or reholdering CGC books in PGX holders) and selling them online?

This leads me to not believe anything that Daniel says. That is something I'd like to hear a rebuttal to.

I'm assuming he's still allowed to submit. Probably their single largest account. The gift grades could be a conspiracy or could just be amateur graders, sounds like either is possible. Probably a little of both. Knowing the books are from their largest account, they probably rather error in favor of him than against him.

I read this a few days back and realized that they literally guarantee nothing.

"PGX’s grading is based on the PGX Grading Standards (more nebulous standards) developed by PGX and the opinions of the PGX Grading Team and does not guarantee complete acceptance in the marketplace. The assigned grade represents our opinion, as grading is subjective. A restoration check is made on every book that comes through PGX. Every effort is made to detect restoration, but we do not guarantee the result."

So they follow the same business model as any credit rating agency hm