• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thank You CGC!

74 posts in this topic

Bringing a crew of 15 or 20 from Florida to NYC,putting them up,feeding them,renting booths and grading rooms is not cheap. I'm not sure the difference in the prices charged covers those expenses,even if the forumites heavily subsidize Steves wine bill.

That said,I wish they could pull a few marathon sessions,knock off 1300 books a day for awhile and get reasonably caught up.

CGC is probably smart keeping the MODERNS as current as possible. Remember, when we talk about moderns a lot of those are NEW ISSUES. And there is a very short shelf life for those books being hot.

Still very frustrating.!!!!!!!!!!

Bringing a crew of 15 or 20 from Florida to NYC,putting them up,feeding them,renting booths and grading rooms is not cheap.

Ahh but it can be...you forget that they were based in NJ originally and most of them still have family in the NYC area...why Scott alone could house the CGC crew in his many roomed family mansion in the exclusive section of Staten Island... tongue.gif

Doubtful that they'll ever get rid of on-site grading just to catch up. It's a cash cow (what is the charge for "on-site"?) and great promotion for their service.

No doubt...you do what you have to do to pay the bills!

The biggest problem is that if CGC decided to put EXTRA HOURS in to get caught up, would the QUALITY of the GRADING SUFFER?

Based on any other type of job, the answer is YES.

While I realize that all of us would like the turnaround times to get better, I don't want CGC to become less consistent in their grading.

All of this is the reason I only submit books at on-site grading now. The additional cost, which is miniscule in the greater scheme of things, is more than made up by the availability to market time my books. If CGC is performing on-site grading again this summer, you know I will be there.

All of this is the reason I only submit books at on-site grading now. The additional cost, which is miniscule in the greater scheme of things, is more than made up by the availability to market time my books. If CGC is performing on-site grading again this summer, you know I will be there.

The Hedgehog hath spoken! smile.gif

I submit that 50% is WAY MORE than miniscule, but that's just me! 27_laughing.gif

This solution may work in your case, but is not a good solution to the painfully long turn-times for the majority of CGC's customers that are unable to attend the few shows where CGC does on-site grading. I heard that CGC decided to do the on-site grading at Baltimore this year after Geppi indicated he would like to submit bundles of books, otherwise they would not have... confused-smiley-013.gif

Right you are.

A 50% premium to pay for on-site grading on a book that might only be worth $100, is too much profit to give up.

Say the book sells for $100 if CGC'd. Assume you paid $30 for the book.

1) On-site grading cost $45 so you make a $25 profit (an 83% return on your money).

2) Economy grading cost $25 so you make $45 profit (a 150% return on your money).

So unless you know a place where you can take that $25 profit and guarantee a return of an additional $20 in four months, it doesn't make sense.

Now of course as the value of the book goes up, the less % of profit you lose by using on-site grading.

Also, maybe for a Modern book, the time of the sale is so crucial, that it will lose value over the next 4 months, but for normal GA/SA/BA books, that's not the case.

Don't forget saving on shipping costs - both ways! makepoint.gif

AND, let's all not forget that on-site grading leads to addled brains and bleary eyes for the CGC graders resulting in higher overall grades which more than makes up for the extra cost! insane.gif

AND, CGC likes it when a customer is doing cartwheels by their booth after getting high grade books back. That kind of show is like free advertising!! thumbsup2.gif

All things ($) considered, if I lived in NY, Chicago, or SD I would probably do on-site grading for some books, that one time a year CGC was in town. If I was a dealer or collector that attended these shows, I would also probably submit some books that way. But realistically, how many CGC customers attend more than 1 or 2 shows a year where CGC does on-site grading?

I don't think it really helps the modern/9.8+ flippers that much as the modern turn-time is only 4 weeks anyway, and with new batches of books needing grading weekly, the frequency of being able to utilize on-site grading a few times a year probably isn't that big of a plus overall.

I submit that 50% is WAY MORE than miniscule, but that's just me! 27_laughing.gif

actually, if you forget about shipping and insurance for a moment, the price of a non-discounted $45 per book Econ is practically DOUBLE the 20% discounted $29 fee (becomes $23.20). if you just had 20 Econs done on-site, it'd cost you $900 (which is an ADDITIONAL $436............).

if you paid twelve cents for the books, maybe that's no big deal, but if you're a part-time dealer and paid close to market value, that's significant on books that top out at $250.

BUT, when you factor in both the elimination of S/H/INS and the immediate turnaround, perhaps it's worth it. for someone like me, the immediate gratification isn't worth the extra cost. that's why i'd just like them to live up to their posted turnaround targets................

actually, if you forget about shipping and insurance for a moment, the price of a non-discounted $45 per book Econ is practically DOUBLE the 20% discounted $29 fee (becomes $23.20). if you just had 20 Econs done on-site, it'd cost you $900 (which is an ADDITIONAL $436............).

if you paid twelve cents for the books, maybe that's no big deal, but if you're a part-time dealer and paid close to market value, that's significant on books that top out at $250.

BUT, when you factor in both the elimination of S/H/INS and the immediate turnaround, perhaps it's worth it. for someone like me, the immediate gratification isn't worth the extra cost. that's why i'd just like them to live up to their posted turnaround targets................

I agree 100%. I'd like to find out how many economies are graded per any given year by CGC. If the number is around 100,000, then I wouldn't mind paying an extra $1 per each book for CGC to higher 3 additional graders to reduce the turn around time by another month. I will gladly pay an additional $25 for my 25 books if I can get them back a month sooner.

I agree 100%. I'd like to find out how many economies are graded per any given year by CGC. If the number is around 100,000, then I wouldn't mind paying an extra $1 pe

It doesn't seem like we should have to pay more. If CGC is so phenominally successful that they're four months behind, they should be hiring more people and LOWERING prices.

If they were struggling, I could understand the need to limit their payroll and raise prices, but they appear to be doing quite well.