• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charge Backs, eBay, and Paranoia

88 posts in this topic

One thought I had is that if the OP was reading the holiday return policy and not a permanent change? I know I got the heads-up on increasing my holiday return policy to 180 days, but I don't recall reading that this was an all-year thing.

Peace,

Chip

The update notice was received today. Here's a little broader context: (copy/paste) - - -

"And last but not least, you'll see some updates to our User Agreement that go into effect November 18, 2014. If you're interested in all the details, take a look at our Policy Updates Page. Here are the highlights:

• We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days.

• We're extending buyer protection to include item not received claims for custom made products.

• Because PayPal Seller Protection and Buyer Protection policies may vary from country to country, we're adding language to clarify which country's policy applies when a seller makes a sale to a buyer outside of the U.S.

If you use PayPal after the date these changes become effective, we will take that usage as your consent to the changed terms."

Let's call this what it is. More overreach to protect the stupid and ignorant in an entitled world.

All started with the dumb who spilled McDonalds coffee on herself, sued, and won.

An often used example of a frivolous lawsuit, without looking at the facts in the case. The 79-year-old woman suffered third-degree burns THROUGH her clothes to 6% of her skin, and lesser burns to 13%, spent 8 days in the hospital, underwent skin grafts, and was partial disabled for 2 years after. McDonalds kept their coffee at 180-190 degrees, hot enough to cause third-degree burns in 2-8 seconds, despite having had over 700 people burned over the previous decade (and having paid compensation of over $500,000 in claims). She tried to get McDonald's to cover the $20,000 in actual costs, and they offered $800.

Oh, and the jury found that she had contributed to the injury, but that it was mostly the fault of McDonalds.

Maybe that´s why ebay is splitting from paypal . Ebay already lost half its traffic in the comic business Lyria

C Link doing that well, or where did it go?

It could just be the people who would list endless dollar comics and large runs for nothing simply don't sell comics online anymore. I've noticed lately while looking for Groo back issues that the common low price is $2 for bargain bin stuff and runs can't be had for ten cents per issue like they used to. Not specifically for Groo have I seen that in the past, but for most things I collect that don't differ too much from Groo. Seems Groo is going for what I'd see Heavy Metal mags sell for a few years ago. Not worth the trouble for a couple dollars per longbox anymore?

For big business yeah I'd say the auction houses hurt eBay a lot. That Action #1 selling on eBay was a big surprise.

Maybe that´s why ebay is splitting from paypal . Ebay already lost half its traffic in the comic business Lyria

C Link doing that well, or where did it go?

Mile High Comics and MyComicShop has scaled back their listings. The account for most of those "lost" listings.

One thought I had is that if the OP was reading the holiday return policy and not a permanent change? I know I got the heads-up on increasing my holiday return policy to 180 days, but I don't recall reading that this was an all-year thing.

Peace,

Chip

The update notice was received today. Here's a little broader context: (copy/paste) - - -

"And last but not least, you'll see some updates to our User Agreement that go into effect November 18, 2014. If you're interested in all the details, take a look at our Policy Updates Page. Here are the highlights:

• We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days.

• We're extending buyer protection to include item not received claims for custom made products.

• Because PayPal Seller Protection and Buyer Protection policies may vary from country to country, we're adding language to clarify which country's policy applies when a seller makes a sale to a buyer outside of the U.S.

If you use PayPal after the date these changes become effective, we will take that usage as your consent to the changed terms."

"Significantly" not as described. I think some of us are being a little bit too paranoid. I know there are some scamming buyers out there but most of us buying and selling on Ebay are good honest people, so personally I am not going to be scared away from any listings due to fear that I may encounter one of the scammers out there. Just protect yourself as best you can and go about your business, as over the long run fear and paranoia is going to hurt you more than any scammer ever will.

Peace,

Chip

"Significantly" not as described. I think some of us are being a little bit too paranoid. I know there are some scamming buyers out there but most of us buying and selling on Ebay are good honest people, so personally I am not going to be scared away from any listings due to fear that I may encounter one of the scammers out there. Just protect yourself as best you can and go about your business, as over the long run fear and paranoia is going to hurt you more than any scammer ever will.

Yep "Significantly" is the key word here . If we grade righ ,provide scans and pics and dont hide major deffects we will be protected .

"Significantly" not as described. I think some of us are being a little bit too paranoid.... Just protect yourself as best you can and go about your business, as over the long run fear and paranoia is going to hurt you more than any scammer ever will.

Yep "Significantly" is the key word here . If we grade righ ,provide scans and pics and dont hide major deffects we will be protected .

None of those things will protect you from a SNAD filed by someone who knows how to work the system and often they won't even protect you from the average claimant.

Another question, true or not:

For the casual seller is it now safer to take advantage of all the consignment and blind auction venues than it is to mess with eBay?

Bumping my question in hopes of more opinions on consignment venues.

I sold on eBay for several years with practically zero problems. No complaints, no negatives, no return requests, no disappointments over grade. There was a non-paying buyer or two to block, but overall buyers were thrilled things were exactly or better than described. Safely packed, and all that.

But that was back when mutual feedback was still in play.

Ebay is still very tempting. But knowing I'll be using the money makes me hesitate. If part of the deal is sitting on the cash for months on end, waiting on the unknown, eBay may not be for small frys any more. Times change. How much they've changed is what I'm so unsure of.

For the casual seller is it now safer to take advantage of all the consignment and blind auction venues than it is to mess with eBay?

I sold on eBay for several years with practically zero problems. No complaints, no negatives, no return requests, no disappointments over grade. There was a non-paying buyer or two to block, but overall buyers were thrilled things were exactly or better than described. Safely packed, and all that.

Ebay is still very tempting. But knowing I'll be using the money makes me hesitate. If part of the deal is sitting on the cash for months on end, waiting on the unknown, eBay may not be for small frys any more. Times change. How much they've changed is what I'm so unsure of.

I used to sell on Ebay until they changed their rules on sellers unable to leave negative feedback for buyers.

I listed six books on Ebay right after these new rules and had three non paying buyers. Prior to the new rules, I only had two non-paying buyers in several years.

I'm not saying I won't ever sell on Ebay but the books listed will be of small value like no more than $50 or maybe even $75.

Now some jerk has 179 days to get a refund for some bogus reason is not good at all.

I'm definitely a small fry and I have recently been back to Ebay a few months ago and have already sold hundreds of comics since then. Mostly individual comics in the $5-50 range, so nothing huge. The worst problem I've had were a few non paying bidders and a package or two that took forever to get to Canada. I also never let cash sit in my PayPal account as I always withdraw once that I am around $200 or so. I think people are going way overboard with their fears over this new policy. However with big dollar books I can understand more the cause for concern. If you are really concerned on the big dollar books you can always go through the channel where you give bidders the ability to bid. I don't know how that works, but if someone is interested in bidding they need to contact you first in order to be able to place a bid.

an awful lot of potential abuse if the value of a comic cools big time. i understand this can happen in 45 days too, but 180 is nuts. true, it does give enough time to send to cgc and get it back though.

does ebay care how this impacts collectibles sellers? i guess they just don't care, but this notion that they will be able to be a global giant being a middle man for other big retailers is going to blow up in their faces eventually and they may need to go back to relying on the little people who got them here.

i worry that with more and more legit sellers saying "f-it" with ebay and going to other venues more legit buyers will go to those other places and it will leave ebay as the land of scammer sellers and scammer buyers with the legits of both types stuck in the middle.

personally i never actually had a problem with this stuff. i did have someone complain about slow shipping (before he got the package) and it got there a couple of days after the estimated date and i got burned because it was over $750 and i didn't get signature confirmation and ebay told me tough luck even though there was delivery confirmation. i didn't get burned for the whole amount though as the seller decided he would pay me what he decided it was "worth" knowing that he had all the leverage...but also that i lived 30 minutes from him....i think i got shorted $100 on that one (back in the days when i sold ebay grab bags)

Peace,

Chip

It isn't a keyword at all. That comic book you sold to your unhappy buyer can easily be bent in half or otherwise significantly damaged to make a SNAD claim.

There are so many "what if this" and what if that".... Looks like many of you are looking at the worst case scenario and going off on it. I know many of us can recall some bad experience on Ebay, just like we can call up occasional bad experiences with everything else we do in life. Geez, I know there is the potential for abuse here but it sounds as if many of you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Well, I guess that is in people's nature, so go at it guys.....