• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Keaton Turned down Batman 3 because...

18 posts in this topic

Bleeding Cool has been told that Joel Schumacher is writing a twelve issue Batman comic, currently being drawn by Dustin Nguyen, which will revisit his intentions for the three films, or which two were made. Rewritten from scratch and telling one story, this will contain his original vision for the movies.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/24/joel-schumacher-to-revisit-batman-forever-batman-robin-and-batman-triumphant-in-year-long-comic-with-dustin-nguyen/

Yeah, that's happening.

I'm going to give him a chance. I like tales of redemption :grin:

I was only ten when Batman Returns came out, my older brother took me to a midnight showing - it's one of those childhood movies for me. I also liked the first film when it came out. I remember being surprised when it was announced that Keaton wouldn't be coming back. I remember hearing about a year or so after Returns came out the Warner Bros. wouldn't let Tim Burton direct the next film - they apparently didn't like like how the second film was very dark - and that Robin Williams was going to be the Riddler.

I remember the shock from people that Keaton turned down such a role, Forever did do very very and people loved it... but only in 1995 did they love it. This was a good move on Keaton's part in the long run.

I still wonder to this day what a third Batman with Burton and Keaton would have been like. It looks like Burton had a few ideas but there was not much that was really developed before Burton read between the lines with Warner Bros.

I tried watching Schumacher's two opuses on DVD recently, but couldn't make it through them (the commentary on how these movies were produced and what purpose is the only curious reason now, I guess). I remember enjoying Batman Forever way back when too. But, it just feels like a "product" now.

...It Sucked! :applause: As if I didn't need another reason to like this guy.

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/12/michael-keaton-says-he-didn-t-do-third-batman-movie-because-it-s/

This from the guy who starred in White Noise? and Jack Frost?? :sick:

I remember thinking, when they cast Keaton as Batman, how bad of a choice it was even though I was a big fan of Keaton in his previous movies. He didn't look like Bruce Wayne or Batman in any way, shape or form. However, by the end of the movie, Keaton was Batman. He pulled it off and a lot of the credit goes to the writing of the first movie.

"Never rub another man's rhubarb."
''And now, folks, it's time for "Who do you trust!" Hubba, hubba, hubba! Money, money, money! Who do you trust? Me? I'm giving away free money. And where is the Batman? HE'S AT HOME WASHING HIS TIGHTS!''