• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Witness or unwitnessed?

29 posts in this topic

If the authentication of the signature is an "opinion" I would be a little hesitant unless I knew more about the company doing the work. If it's from a computer, I would want to know the % match and have it printed on the label. If 51% means it's considered real, I probably would not buy the book. If the computer said it's a 91% match, then I would be more likely to buy it.

Forging a signature is not an easy task and there is never a 100% authentication if not personally witnessed. Change the label color and stop being stubborn. Like someone said, a lot of Kirby sigs are out there and people are getting ripped off left and right. If CGC isn't going to do it, someone else will IS.

Yep

And some sigs just can't be verified-Jack Kirby can be forged to look exactly accurate. John Byrne would be more difficult.

Witnessed leaves little room for mistakes, errors and scams.

Some of the companies that provide this service have dubious records, to say the least.

You mean 3rd parties? That's concerning as I send my books to companies that partner with CGC at shows I can't attend.

If a company can be trusted to grade a book and grade levels of restoration, then the same trust could be assigned for authenticating signatures.

There is confidence in the company's ability to grade a book & detect resto because of the experience of the personnel. The same trust could be assigned for authenticating signatures, but on what basis? Because they have witnessed some creators signing books? That is better left off to an established and trusted signature verification company, with whom a comic grading company could work with to provide the service to their comic customers, at least until the proper trained personnel is in house. At this point giving trust to CGC to verify signatures just because they are CGC is probably not the best reason.

Don't forget that it costs considerably more to verify those signatures so if I had the choice between witnesses and verification it's going to be witness every time. $25 or more PER SIGNATURE for verification is going to get mighty pricey on one of those cast signed books from the Walking Dead.