• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Welcome to the Global Shipping Program: More eBay Drank My Milkshake

82 posts in this topic

Just curious, would you prefer a seller use the GPS or not ship outside the U.S.?

Same difference.

Either way you don't get my money. (shrug)

Yup, I get it. But, without GPS you wouldn't be able to buy my books (shrug)

That hurts you, not me. There are a ton of sellers out there that ship to Canada without using the GSP. I prefer NOT to be azz-raped by that program.

Just curious, would you prefer a seller use the GPS or not ship outside the U.S.?

Same difference.

That hurts you, not me. There are a ton of sellers out there that ship to Canada without using the GSP. I prefer NOT to be azz-raped by that program.

I understand it. Buyers outside the U.S. pay more for books from U.S. sellers. I wouldn't like the azz-raping either.

But as was mentioned by someone else in the thread, since using the program as a U.S. seller I've gotten more bidders and higher sales prices. GPS doesn't make sense to you, but it does make sense to me.

Sounds like your experience shows there's more than enough room in eBay for all types of U.S. sellers. (thumbs u

I have ranted on this topic before as I also think GSP sucks big time.

But I can understand sellers using it for the peace of mind it gives.

What I cannot accept or understand is the sheer dishonesty of ebay!

Import duty on comics to the UK is 0%

So how ebay think they can add on approx 30% in non-existent import duty is beyond me.

I cannot help but think that this is bordering on criminality.

It seem to me that in many cases ebay simply pockets the extra cash as the UK taxman will not be charging ebay the non-existent duty.

:mad:

Same difference.

I would rather you didn't use it so it doesn't show up in my search results.

So how ebay think they can add on approx 30% in non-existent import duty is beyond me.

It seem to me that in many cases ebay simply pockets the extra cash as the UK taxman will not be charging ebay the non-existent duty.

+1

Same difference.

I understand it. Buyers outside the U.S. pay more for books from U.S. sellers. I wouldn't like the azz-raping either.

But as was mentioned by someone else in the thread, since using the program as a U.S. seller I've gotten more bidders and higher sales prices. GPS doesn't make sense to you, but it does make sense to me.

Sounds like your experience shows there's more than enough room in eBay for all types of U.S. sellers. (thumbs u

Actually, GPS just gives you a taste of what you've been missing by not shipping globally. The gains you experience by using GPS are just a percentage of the gains to be had by shipping globally. (thumbs u

Same difference.

Actually, GPS just gives you a taste of what you've been missing by not shipping globally. The gains you experience by using GPS are just a percentage of the gains to be had by shipping globally. (thumbs u

+1!

Imagine the higher prices if you catered to everyone. Do sellers know that if you don't offer international shipping, I can't even see your auction? And if I see the "import" fees next to the auction I don't even click on it. Canadians ship to the states without the help (lol) of the GPS rip off scheme, why can't Americans do the same?

I think they do it simply because they can. It's like the auction houses that attach a buyers premium. It's an added fee passed on to the buyer that helps their bottom line.

They do it because they can. (shrug)

I don't mind shipping internationally here because I have been here and know a lot of the international boardies

My beef with international on eBay outside of the GSP is:

(1) very expensive for the buyer to ship international outside of N. America

(2) unless you do priority, no tracking beyond USA boarders

(3) low cost books don't need priority, but ship is still high for buyers and no tracking

(4) high cost books need priority, but so many things can go wrong beyond the boarder

Inside the GSP, protections for the seller (yes) but much much higher costs for the buyer (no)

The eBay conundrum continues ..... hm

I don't mind shipping internationally here because I have been here and know a lot of the international boardies

(3) low cost books don't need priority, but ship is still high for buyers and no tracking

(4) high cost books need priority, but so many things can go wrong beyond the boarder

Inside the GSP, protections for the seller (yes) but much much higher costs for the buyer (no)

Totally agree. There needs to be some kind of special shipping option for north america that provides a flat fee with tracking for articles sold online. Some of the shipping quotes I get are just ludicrous. It should not cost anyone over $10 to ship one comic.

I get these kinds of messages all the time -

Total due is $25 + $28 Priority Shipping (Canada)

Please PayPal $53...

Do you other internationals pay these kinds of fees?

Same difference.

+1!

Imagine the higher prices if you catered to everyone. Do sellers know that if you don't offer international shipping, I can't even see your auction? And if I see the "import" fees next to the auction I don't even click on it. Canadians ship to the states without the help (lol) of the GPS rip off scheme, why can't Americans do the same?

Because they don't believe they have to. I have often said when the economy becomes a little more global the Americans will have to race to catch up on international transactions.

But most of this is made worse by the global shipping program. The costs you mention double or triple using the program. The only 2 things the program does is allow US sellers to ship nationally which I believe allows for at home parcel pickups and offers slightly more protection because of the belief that packages can't be tracked beyond the border.

It should not cost anyone over $10 to ship one comic.

It doesnt, for First Class. As a seller I get no tracking and therefore ZERO protection when shipping that way. The buyer could say they never received the comic and file a claim through eBay/Paypal. Since I have no tracking, they get a free comic.

Please PayPal $53...

If you're getting packages from the USA, that's higher than needed. My shipping costs to Canada are $22 for up to 5 comics via International Priority.

Peace,

Chip

It should not cost anyone over $10 to ship one comic.

It doesnt, for First Class. As a seller I get no tracking and therefore ZERO protection when shipping that way. The buyer could say they never received the comic and file a claim through eBay/Paypal. Since I have no tracking, they get a free comic.

Please PayPal $53...

If you're getting packages from the USA, that's higher than needed. My shipping costs to Canada are $22 for up to 5 comics via International Priority.

Peace,

Chip

Through the USPS website: A one pound Priority Mail package (not envelope) to Canada that is one pound is $27.13 (online discounted rate).

If you are Top Rated seller on eBay and enrolled in their discounted shipping program the rate is around $23, but the seller gets charged the Final value fee on the shipping. They do this to offset the fee.

And through GSP you're looking at $40+

Yup. I'm not enrolled in GSP and never will be. I have a lot of UK buyers and understand to put Comic Books (PRINTED MATTER) on their custom forms so they avoid the tax.

Same difference.

+1!

What Branget and Chadwich say really is it in a nutshell for people who live outside the US. The GSP is garbage for those on the receiving end but it does make it easier for those who previously didn't want to ship outside the US.

And I'm betting that even if many are willing to pay more for US comics, they don't realize they're being taken advantage of until it's all said and done and will learn to stay away from it later.

eBay is almost like legalized theft now. Well, not really because they continue to get to agree to their terms as they change but that's pretty much like getting a junky to continue to buy from you once you've already gotten them hooked.