• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Welcome to the Global Shipping Program: More eBay Drank My Milkshake

82 posts in this topic

For those people questioning why someone wouldn't buy from a seller using GSP, it's as simple as this completely random example. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-X-Men-128-1st-APP-Phantomex-Signed-2x-Townsend-Van-Sciver-Global-Shipping-/141421003692?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20ed5943ac

Shipping charges to the UK are $16.29 which is completely fair enough but GSP are adding on a charge of $12.61 for import charges. There are no import charges to the UK therefore eBay are just keeping this money under false pretences.

Why the #### would I buy that book now? I'm not having a go at this particular seller, I just clicked on his auction because he listed Global Shipping in the title so it made a good example.

For those people questioning why someone wouldn't buy from a seller using GSP, it's as simple as this completely random example. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-X-Men-128-1st-APP-Phantomex-Signed-2x-Townsend-Van-Sciver-Global-Shipping-/141421003692?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20ed5943ac

Shipping charges to the UK are $16.29 which is completely fair enough but GSP are adding on a charge of $12.61 for import charges. There are no import charges to the UK therefore eBay are just keeping this money under false pretences.

Why the #### would I buy that book now? I'm not having a go at this particular seller, I just clicked on his auction because he listed Global Shipping in the title so it made a good example.

Must be that gold-plated reshipping package? :P

I don't necessarily avoid GSP sellers, but if ebay is adding 10%-15% in fees, my bids will be that much lower.

From that perspective, though GSP is a hassle for international buyers, it's really impact is to siphon money from American sellers.

USPS Priority box usually costs me $61.75 to the UK......... I wonder what level of service one gets for $ 16.29 ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The only time I boughht rough GSP it cost about $21 shipping (compared to $13 first class) and there were no hidden costs of any kind.

I'd do it again. Just my one off experience. 2c

I avoid GSP sellers, seen a few things I like, but I'm not paying their extortionate fees.

I contacted ebay about this, they said I shouldn't have to pay the fees, but it's done through a third party company, they said they would make enquiries and get back to me but never did.

I also contacted the company that does the GSP, they just ignored my email.

I avoid sellers using GSP and here's a great example why

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avengers-1-CGC-4-0-1963-Thor-Captain-America-Iron-Man-B8-914-cm-/350607919896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a1dc4b18

Great comic decent selling price $435 import charge!! U what? No one pays that. Ebay keeps it!

Not knocking the seller at all, just showing the extra an international customer unnecessary pays.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avengers-1-CGC-4-0-1963-Thor-Captain-America-Iron-Man-B8-914-cm-/350607919896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a1dc4b18

Great comic decent selling price $435 import charge!! U what? No one pays that. Ebay keeps it!

Not knocking the seller at all, just showing the extra an international customer unnecessary pays.

And if you don´t get the book or if it gets damaged the seller is not responsible!

And if you don´t get the book or if it gets damaged the seller is not responsible!

Which puts them on equal ground with buyers.

USPS Priority box usually costs me $61.75 to the UK......... I wonder what level of service one gets for $ 16.29 ? GOD BLESS...

Wow, that's huge. What's the weight on that package? 50 pounds?

I can ship Priority to the UK for far less than that.

Peace,

Chip

Exactly - a book has just come up that I want for $400, but the GSP thieves want another $93 for no reason other than their own greed.

Shows $241 import charge for Australia. That's about right, as there's 10% GST on anything over A$1,000 (US$880). If I bought the book from any seller who followed the law and declared the correct value, that's what I'd pay.

Wow, that's huge. What's the weight on that package? 50 pounds?

I can ship Priority to the UK for far less than that.

Peace,

Chip

It's USPS Priority box...... I keep all the receipts and it's been that same price for the last 5 or six packages in a row..... it used to be around 30 bucks and then it just jumped this year. That's at more than one P.O. in the area. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

New take (I think) on the GSP problem:

Listed a hot book using GSP and it was won by an international buyer. He hemmed and hawed, all but flat out asking me to send him the book outside of GSP claiming he couldn't pay on the site.

I called eBay, confirmed he could pay. I opened and closed a case but gave the buyer the benefit of the doubt, calling eBay and ensuring no negative ding on the buyer's account.

I relisted the book and ... guess what? Same buyer bought the same book and again, only after winning the auction, refused to pay unless I sent outside of GSP. This time chiding me for not "being a help" to him.

I opened a case but, thanks to Chip, I learned of flat-rate international shipping, I told the buyer I could send for a price, he agreed but wanted me to cancel the auction, relist with a BIN and let him buy it.

This would be the third listing of the book. I asked him to "be a help" to me and meet on the boards here to close the deal via PM. He refused, saying he wasn't protected.

To me, he has twice submitted winning bids he refused to honor, and won't meet me halfway on the transaction, instead asking me to take 100% of the risk of selling outside GSP while he assumes 0%.

How would you proceed in this situation?

New take (I think) on the GSP problem:

Listed a hot book using GSP and it was won by an international buyer. He hemmed and hawed, all but flat out asking me to send him the book outside of GSP claiming he couldn't pay on the site.

I called eBay, confirmed he could pay. I opened and closed a case but gave the buyer the benefit of the doubt, calling eBay and ensuring no negative ding on the buyer's account.

I relisted the book and ... guess what? Same buyer bought the same book and again, only after winning the auction, refused to pay unless I sent outside of GSP. This time chiding me for not "being a help" to him.

I opened a case but, thanks to Chip, I learned of flat-rate international shipping, I told the buyer I could send for a price, he agreed but wanted me to cancel the auction, relist with a BIN and let him buy it.

This would be the third listing of the book. I asked him to "be a help" to me and meet on the boards here to close the deal via PM. He refused, saying he wasn't protected.

To me, he has twice submitted winning bids he refused to honor, and won't meet me halfway on the transaction, instead asking me to take 100% of the risk of selling outside GSP while he assumes 0%.

How would you proceed in this situation?

What an arsehole. Neg and block him.