• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's time to purge.

47 posts in this topic

I myself wonder how many books could be fit within a bag, boarded, to have them protected and handy to read. For example, in my New Mutants collection I would like to put the few nicer or more costly issues (like #98) in single Mylite bags, but some sequences which are not the best of the run… I would like to bag them in small batches.

Currently they are (mostly) just bagged, as I put them in bags when they came out and they had been there since the early 1990s.

How many books, then? Three, four, ten? hm Same goes for other titles…

For my reorganization process I decided to store the books 2-two-a-bag. back to back with a board in the middle. I only do this when they are consecutive issues. With this method I have recovered so many bags and boards that I replaced hundreds of bad bags, but have not yet actually had to use any new ones.

I also try to store my silver age in Mylites. I sometimes even double book those bags.

Ends up saving quite a bit of space. I can almost fit as many books in the new shorter Drawer Boxes as i had in my old long boxes.

If you are gonna make a bed out of comic boxes you are for sure going to want to use the drawer boxes from :

http://www.collectiondrawer.com/

You could decide to go two levels high, and then later even add a third level.

This would have to be the only setup where you could still have access to your books. Nothing worse than having a burning desire to reread FF48 and having to dump the mattress (not to mention your wife) to get to it.

I spoke to the Drawerbox people at the NYCC show they attended about this very thing when I first bought them. My thoughts were to sack two drawboxes high by five long, custom fit a piece of plywood on top and stick a mattress on top to use as a guest bed.

They strongly discouraged it. They didn't even think putting a large screen television on them was a good idea.

They highly recommend you use them as cubes- equal height and width ie 3 boxes high by three wide, or five by five. Two high by more than three wide is less than optimal.

My current set up is six high by eight wide. Going seven by seven ended up too high to use the top layer. Even six high isn't so hot.

I would think the concern here would be the entire thing shifting to one side or the other- the drawer boxes, individually, are not very strong, especially with the box out of them. I imagine their worry it that it would all shift to one side or the other and dump everything. At least that is their 'don't sue us' answer.

If you are gonna make a bed out of comic boxes you are for sure going to want to use the drawer boxes from :

This would have to be the only setup where you could still have access to your books. Nothing worse than having a burning desire to reread FF48 and having to dump the mattress (not to mention your wife) to get to it.

I spoke to the Drawerbox people at the NYCC show they attended about this very thing when I first bought them. My thoughts were to sack two drawboxes high by five long, custom fit a piece of plywood on top and stick a mattress on top to use as a guest bed.

They strongly discouraged it. They didn't even think putting a large screen television on them was a good idea.

They highly recommend you use them as cubes- equal height and width ie 3 boxes high by three wide, or five by five. Two high by more than three wide is less than optimal.

My current set up is six high by eight wide. Going seven by seven ended up too high to use the top layer. Even six high isn't so hot.

Did they have the BOXLOCK system then? That will really tie the rows together. If each stack can easily go 4 high and you are only going 2 high seems to me that a 5 long and 2 deep setup topped with plywood should easily be able to support and spread out the weight of another 20 boxes.Assuming 40 lpb for a full box that should be able to support 800 lbs of Mattress and bodies.

As i recall he told me that if I used the plywood topping method I could easily go 5 and maybe 6 high in a configuration.

Yes, they had the boxlock system then. I've used it from jump street.

He was pretty insistent that cubes were the way to go and the bed idea was a bad one.

They said you can go six high, but to go that high, you should go five or six wide.

Yet on their website, they show photos of a five high by two wide, so go figure.

I've had my system set up for about five years now. The bottom row was starting to bow a bit but I simply switched the top row with the bottom and all is good.

I've broken down the whole system twice now, to move it to two different locations.

Popped a few boxlock tabs along the way, but it was actually easier to breakdown and reassemble than I thought it would be.

But I think my kids (hopefully they want the books) would appreciate a kick collection of 1,000 or so books instead of X-Factor 1 - 100 or Avengers West Coast 1 - 100 you get my point.

To be honest, there are a number of X-Factor books which are excellent… not the very first ones or the later ones, but when Louise Simonson started he managed to deliver some of the most compelling Marvel stories of the late 1980s (same on the New Mutants).

I have too little experience on Avengers West Coast to comment, but surely the Byrne ones were (pretty much) off. What he did with the Vision and Wanda… :sick:

But I think my kids (hopefully they want the books) would appreciate a kick collection of 1,000 or so books instead of X-Factor 1 - 100 or Avengers West Coast 1 - 100 you get my point.

To be honest, there are a number of X-Factor books which are excellent… not the very first ones or the later ones, but when Louise Simonson started he managed to deliver some of the most compelling Marvel stories of the late 1980s (same on the New Mutants).

I have too little experience on Avengers West Coast to comment, but surely the Byrne ones were (pretty much) off. What he did with the Vision and Wanda… :sick:

On the mark and I think I could make an argument for keeping everything.

:applause: Good to see someone's taking this seriously!