• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's time to purge.

47 posts in this topic

I myself wonder how many books could be fit within a bag, boarded, to have them protected and handy to read. For example, in my New Mutants collection I would like to put the few nicer or more costly issues (like #98) in single Mylite bags, but some sequences which are not the best of the run… I would like to bag them in small batches.

Currently they are (mostly) just bagged, as I put them in bags when they came out and they had been there since the early 1990s.

How many books, then? Three, four, ten? hm Same goes for other titles…

All depends on the bag you use. If I buy Current Peel & Stick from Midtown I could fit 5 comfortable but stick to four. So if you're currently using one bag one board just look at the thickness of a pack of 100 of each and you'll be able to judge space saved.

The 80's and 90's that we all have loads of easily can go 4 per bag board. I go single for the Amazing, Uncanny, Batman and anything of value ($10 or more). Anything of real value like Amazing 121 is CGC'd.

Thanks. I have a few kinds of bags, but starting to put most of the older books in Mylite2 bags proved space-consuming (previously most books were in polietilene bags, many without the boards). I think I may also fit more issues in a Golden Age format Mylite2, but you are right: probably better to bag them in batches of three/four. :)

PBK78, ignore the 2 newbs...

I'm in the same boat, although my collection isn't quite as vast as yours. I have 3 long boxes, about 10 short boxes and about 100 slabs. I also have 20 long boxes of my brother-in-laws collection that I need to sell.

I am keeping my finger on the pulse of the movie speculation and selling lots that get hot when movies or characters are announced. I've been able to sell lots/runs like X-Force and X-Factor for a premium by being patient and waiting for the speculators to start salivating over some of this 90's drek. I've also listed quite a few books on E-bay for decent Buy-It-Now prices (some agressive) and have had success widdling down the slabbed books this way. I plan on offering up lots and runs of my and my brother-in-laws collection to the board for 'I want to move these' prices soon...just need to take inventory, pictures and price.

(thumbs u

This is the approach I am planning on taking myself. I want to get rid of half of my collection in the next few years (about 70 short boxes.) As books heat up, I plan on selling off those titles.

With kids ... closet space is at a premium

I have fewer books than you do... more like 2K than 7K... but boy, I can definitely relate to this. I've been trying to pare down myself as time allows...

I realized today, will I ever really read some of these books again? Or would I prefer to sell 6K books and create space for all sorts of Silver Age or Graded Grails?

... and to this. I've let go some childhood runs like Miller DD, Byrne X-Men etc that I was keeping out of habit and not looked back, moving more towards GA books that I love or the occasional SA/BA key. In broad strokes I'd much rather have a smaller, tighter collection that I'm happier with.

One thing to keep in mind too is that for runs of 1980s and newer books, the internet has made it infinitely easier to reacquire them if you decide you need to. Only hesitate to sell stuff that you know you couldn't find again without great effort.

Will keep everyone posted, I think I will start small and grow from there, need to see how much time it will take to sell and what the rewards are, if any. Maybe the only reward is space.

But I think my kids (hopefully they want the books) would appreciate a kick collection of 1,000 or so books instead of X-Factor 1 - 100 or Avengers West Coast 1 - 100 you get my point.

With kids ... closet space is at a premium

I have fewer books than you do... more like 2K than 7K... but boy, I can definitely relate to this. I've been trying to pare down myself as time allows...

I realized today, will I ever really read some of these books again? Or would I prefer to sell 6K books and create space for all sorts of Silver Age or Graded Grails?

... and to this. I've let go some childhood runs like Miller DD, Byrne X-Men etc that I was keeping out of habit and not looked back, moving more towards GA books that I love or the occasional SA/BA key. In broad strokes I'd much rather have a smaller, tighter collection that I'm happier with.

One thing to keep in mind too is that for runs of 1980s and newer books, the internet has made it infinitely easier to reacquire them if you decide you need to. Only hesitate to sell stuff that you know you couldn't find again without great effort.

I agree with P5's sentiments and just add that quality is better than quantity. You can always read the TPBs instead of your favourite modern runs.

I agree with P5's sentiments and just add that quality is better than quantity. You can always read the TPBs instead of your favourite modern runs.

Expensive doesn't mean it's good, and there's plenty of "drek" I like that isn't available in TPB.

Cut my collection down to a short box and a few slabs. Liberating for me. If you've got a bunch of drek, you may consider donating to a charitable organization that focuses on literacy for children//young adults as long as the content is appropriate.

...Make Comic Book beds...

Does this type of storage need to be disclosed?

:roflmao:

d2ik0.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

I'm not sure what is more funny… Bill1's post or this meme…

:applause:

Or the fact that he thinks someone would every get laid on a bed of comics... (shrug)

40yearoldvirgin.jpg

Don't sell them, you will regret it. Make Comic Book beds- a Queen size bed will hold about 28 long boxes under it- no frame, two layers of boxes, matress on top, and a higher than normal bed. Or just do one layer of boxes, 14, and put a dust ruffle over them- no one will know the difference!

Is this for real? Aren't you going to destroy all the comics with your weight?

Very real- the weight is spread out very nicely, especially with the mattress on top. I stored about 70 boxes this way for years.

Heh heh, many years back ()When I was still single, lol ) I bought an old store stock and made a couch in the LR out of about 30 boxes. Took the cushions off an old couch, tossed them on top of the seat and used it for months. Eventually I worked it down to a love seat, and bulked everything out at the end, replaced everything with another $25 garage sale sofa.

Or the fact that he thinks someone would every get laid on a bed of comics... (shrug)

40yearoldvirgin.jpg

lol I was thinking of that movie too. I loved that there were a couple of scenes in his home where some stacked long boxes were clearly visible in the background.

First ask yourself, "What will I never look at again, even if I live to be 100?" Then ask yourself, "With the remaining books, when would I rather have the money?"

Then, in this order, use...

1. Heritage

2. Ebay

3. Boards

4. Table at mini-con

5. Craigslist and Kijiji

6. Yardsale

7. Book store

Follow this simple plan and they will be gone and you will have money. It will take a while.

...Make Comic Book beds...

Does this type of storage need to be disclosed?

:roflmao:

d2ik0.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

I'm not sure what is more funny… Bill1's post or this meme…

:applause:

40yearoldvirgin.jpg

tumblr_n39tffhoed1sej561o3_400.gif

If you do it, I'm not sure if I would want you to provide proof!

:fear:

If you are gonna make a bed out of comic boxes you are for sure going to want to use the drawer boxes from :

http://www.collectiondrawer.com/

You could decide to go two levels high, and then later even add a third level.

This would have to be the only setup where you could still have access to your books. Nothing worse than having a burning desire to reread FF48 and having to dump the mattress (not to mention your wife) to get to it.

If you are gonna make a bed out of comic boxes you are for sure going to want to use the drawer boxes from :

http://www.collectiondrawer.com/

You could decide to go two levels high, and then later even add a third level.

This would have to be the only setup where you could still have access to your books. Nothing worse than having a burning desire to reread FF48 and having to dump the mattress (not to mention your wife) to get to it.

I spoke to the Drawerbox people at the NYCC show they attended about this very thing when I first bought them. My thoughts were to sack two drawboxes high by five long, custom fit a piece of plywood on top and stick a mattress on top to use as a guest bed.

They strongly discouraged it. They didn't even think putting a large screen television on them was a good idea.

They highly recommend you use them as cubes- equal height and width ie 3 boxes high by three wide, or five by five. Two high by more than three wide is less than optimal.

My current set up is six high by eight wide. Going seven by seven ended up too high to use the top layer. Even six high isn't so hot.