• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think I just got ripped off on ebay

221 posts in this topic

For me there was some cases where I emailed the seller to help resolve the issue that I didn't get the product. They kept going in a circle it was a less than $15 item but I was upset and gave the seller more than enough time and a few chances to resolve; well what happened was they said it might still be stuck in shipping, go check the post office, etc.. to much time passed and I couldn't leave feedback on the item. So some of those situations could occur. I know I could call eBay and sit on the phone forever with some one or forget it and move on. 

I moved on. 

Edited by Krishosein

56 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I've always believed (incorrectly?) that the FB percentage was based on the past 12 months...not the total FB received over the years. Is this right?

Correct. FB is now only calculated for the past year, and has been that way since....2009? 2010? 2013? Clearly don't remember, but it's been a while. ;)

1 hour ago, wiparker824 said:

Lol, okay. Let me fill you in on what’s happened since 1999 and your “study” entire websites and huge companies like Yelp have launched and are widely used because it is in fact very different. Leaving feedback behind the anonymity of the internet the next day is much different than ruining your night and having a face-to-face confrontation with a waiter in a restaurant. People are conditioned now to leaving feedback online, positive and negative. It’s a very different world than 1999 with that regard. We do it on everything - from movies we see on rottentomatoes to products we buy on Amazon. The fact that you’re still living in the 40’s where people don’t complain online, well I can’t help you with that, but the rest of us don’t live in that world. 

Ooo, spicy! Me likey! :banana:

I wish I lived in the 40s...can you imagine buying Bats #1 off the stands for a DIME? :cloud9:

The date of that particular study is irrelevant. There have been studies conducted before and since. eBay itself has done massive research into the psychology behind feedback, which is why it is substantially different today than it was in 1999. Did you know, back in 1999, you could leave feedback for any other member on eBay, you could leave as much as you wanted, for any reason you wanted, and it was totally unrelated to any transaction? Man, the feedback wars that used to go on....wowza! It was a complete and total mess. At one point, hilariously, eBay tried to limit negative feedback to "one per day"...as if that even remotely addressed the problem. lol 

It took two decades of tweaking and fiddling to finally figure out that feedback ought to be tied to a specific transaction, that buyers won't complain if they fear retaliatory feedback (that's the "someone complaining about them" point from earlier), leaving anything but positive feedback for buyers was driving buyers away (again.."someone complaining about them"), and that, despite their best efforts, buyers still won't complain in general, for the reasons I listed before.

...which is why you can rip people off left and right and still maintain 100% positive feedback.

Human nature doesn't change. People who don't understand that...like eBay...are forced to modify to adapt to human nature, not the other way around. 

As for the rest of your points: collectors behave like addicts. The phrase coined here "you would crawl over broken glass to deal with Satan if he had a book you wanted at a good price" is not said without cause. The comic collecting community is, despite its reach, still a small one. I run into the same people on a regular basis. Word travels. And those who do complain had better be able to justify their complaints...or they'll frequently find themselves on the receiving end of a whole lot of "thanks, but no thanks" situations.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Just now, thunsicker said:

While you're there can I give you a short list to pick up for me?

Sure, whatever you want! The only problem is, all those fantastic Schomburg Nedors mostly haven't been published yet. :cry:

I know this sounds totally silly to some people...but can you imagine having Sig Series back in the 40s, and going to conventions to have Xela sign your books...?

why-people-faint-1024x683.jpg&f=1

On 5/14/2015 at 9:21 AM, techtre2003 said:

I'd be willing to bet if you asked around here you'd be able to find someone that will either have any SA or BA book you'd want, or know where to get it.

This. 100% this. I am quite sure that if you put a posting in the WTB section for any raw comic book published since 1960 someone will be able to provide it for you.

6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sure, whatever you want! The only problem is, all those fantastic Schomburg Nedors mostly haven't been published yet. :cry:

I know this sounds totally silly to some people...but can you imagine having Sig Series back in the 40s, and going to conventions to have Xela sign your books...?

Thrilling 7,9,10,11,12,13

Exciting 7

(I'll also take his Marvel Mysterys, Daring Mysterys, Human Torches, and Mystics, Thanks) 

And yes, if you could get those Sig Series for me that would be great.  And see if he has any OA from those you could snag.

EDIT:  Plus he said the 40's so that would go all the way to '49.  My list just got much longer.

Edited by thunsicker

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

I've always believed (incorrectly?) that the FB percentage was based on the past 12 months...not the total FB received over the years. Is this right?

Your percentage is the last 12 months rolling and going forward. Note that neutral feedback is counted exactly the same as negative feedback - the feedback loop on eBay is binary, positive or not positive. The total number of feedback used to be much more important in the feedback schema but has been replaced by the rolling feedback and your DSRs. 

And, FWIW, RMA is 100% correct on the way people complain/do not complain. I could send someone literally a bag of dog excrement, and I would say "OH I'M SO SORRY THAT BAG OF DOG EXCREMENT WAS MEANT FOR SOMEONE ELSE", refund their money, and I would get a positive feedback. The overwhelming majority (I would say 98-99%) of feedback is positive, because no one cares - it is at this point meaningless because the system is far too easy to be gamed.

49 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

collectors behave like addicts. The phrase coined here "you would crawl over broken glass to deal with Satan if he had a book you wanted at a good price" is not said without cause. 

lol

30 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Thrilling 7,9,10,11,12,13

Exciting 7

(I'll also take his Marvel Mysterys, Daring Mysterys, Human Torches, and Mystics, Thanks) 

And yes, if you could get those Sig Series for me that would be great.  And see if he has any OA from those you could snag.

EDIT:  Plus he said the 40's so that would go all the way to '49.  My list just got much longer.

Sorry, I'm only going back to 1940 to pick up my bundle of Batman #1s. Do you know how hard it would be to find them as back issues in 1949??

lol

I get the vapors thinking about an Alex Schomburg sig series.

Startling #49, here I come!!

A while back (15-20 years ago at this point :preach:) I was selling quite a bit on eBay.  I really ran into only one problem when I overgraded a Daredevil 168.  The buyer was, um... not happy and chewed by butt off up to the base of my spine.  I offered a full return/refund, and that took care of the problem.  Once he returned it, I relisted the book at his suggested grade and resold it without any problems.

I now wonder if that buyer is a board member here...  :whistle:

I've had a handful of issues as a buyer, but it takes a lot for me to leave negative feedback.  I usually contact the seller to let them know of the problem and either leave neutral feedback or none, depending on the seller's response and the dollar values involved.  I'm definitely one of those non-complaining people RMA's been talking about, and I'm sure there are plenty more like me out there.

Well that’s fine. I’m okay with you and I living in different worlds. As someone who buys quite often on eBay I see sellers all the time with negative and neutral feedback for things much less egregious than selling restored books as unrestored. If you don’t, and all the sellers who you deal with have 100% feedback ratings regardless of if they’re defrauding people left and right or not, well that sounds pretty awful - I’m sorry you have to deal with that. It’s certainly not been my experience. In general, I rely heavily on reviews for everything now - from restaurants to hotels to Amazon to eBay and they are for the most part very helpful, and I’ve not seen an unwillingness to leave negative feedback anonymously online that you’re claiming at all.   

21 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

Well that’s fine. I’m okay with you and I living in different worlds. As someone who buys quite often on eBay I see sellers all the time with negative and neutral feedback for things much less egregious than selling restored books as unrestored. If you don’t, and all the sellers who you deal with have 100% feedback ratings regardless of if they’re defrauding people left and right or not, well that sounds pretty awful - I’m sorry you have to deal with that. It’s certainly not been my experience. In general, I rely heavily on reviews for everything now - from restaurants to hotels to Amazon to eBay and they are for the most part very helpful, and I’ve not seen an unwillingness to leave negative feedback anonymously online that you’re claiming at all.   

I understood your point and needed no help to understand it-people DO complain on ebay.  If someone is suspected of doing shenanigans and has 100% feedback, there must be another reason besides "People dont complain".  People do complain on ebay I dont care how many studies someone throws at me.

Edited by kav

I've been burnt on Ebay

Especially when it comes to buying Raws

Thinking I'm getting a pristine book that turns out to be "Not so pristine"

What about the worst line in all of Ebay

"I'm not a professional grader...but"

Be nice if someone from CGC came on and said

"I'm a proffessional grader,and the book you are looking at is absolutely not the grade the seller is suggesting"

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I understood your point and needed no help to understand it-people DO complain on ebay.  If someone is doing shenanigans and has 100% feedback, there must be another reason besides "People dont complain".  People do complain on ebay I dont care how many studies someone throws at me.

People don't complain on eBay. People complain to the seller, and then the seller fixes the problem. 

I can assure you that I've had more than one "negative" transaction in the past 12 months. I fix the problem, and that person then leaves me a positive feedback - or no feedback at all - and then the market moves on.

3 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

People don't complain on eBay. People complain to the seller, and then the seller fixes the problem. 

I can assure you that I've had more than one "negative" transaction in the past 12 months. I fix the problem, and that person then leaves me a positive feedback - or no feedback at all - and then the market moves on.

what is negative feedback if not a 'complaint on ebay'?

7 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Yes, this is usually the case for me.  I've turned a few potential negative feedbacks into positives once the seller fixes the problem in some way.  I've even left positive feedback along the lines of "damaged in shipping but seller replaced or refunded" or something like that.  I guess that's kind of a passive/aggressive, though...  hm

In the case with the DD 168 I stated above, I think the buyer just didn't leave feedback at all, which I felt was a win at the time after the ripping he gave me.

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

Indeed. No one said...as has been falsely reported...that no one ever complains about anything ever. 

What all sellers should be worried about, though, is the great mass of people who aren't dissatisfied enough to complain, but nevertheless move on from you, never coming back...because you'll not only never know they exist, you have absolutely no way of addressing a problem you know nothing about.

Someone says "I've not seen an unwillingness to leave negative feedback anonymously online"...of course, because you cannot see what isn't there to be seen, but nonetheless still exists. Unhappy customers are like an iceberg: the visible part, the part above water, are the people who make that official complaint. The vast majority, as has been proven time and again, is invisible, under water, the people who have a complaint, but just choose not to say anything...and you have no way of knowing just how much that represents.

It's why sellers should....and smart business owners do...appreciate and be grateful for the people who are willing to complain: it lets the seller know there's a potential problem, which...if they're smart....they'll analyze and see if it's a real issue that needs resolving, such as improper shipping methods. It's too bad so many people, in business and elsewhere, cannot train themselves to not take complaints personally: the very best businesses are genuinely grateful when a problem is brought to their attention, rather than getting angry at the customer instead.

The reason those legitimate studies were posted was to demonstrate that this isn't mere opinion...it's actually been studied by actual people who actually work in and study customer service on a daily basis and actually make decisions based on actual data they've gathered.