• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think I just got ripped off on ebay

221 posts in this topic

I would take RMA's explanation of what he meant at face value.  Of all people, I would guess RMA would be the least likely to say no one ever complains on the internet.  I would guess he's had at least 15-20 complaints about him on the boards today alone.

2 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

I would take RMA's explanation of what he meant at face value.  Of all people, I would guess RMA would be the least likely to say no one ever complains on the internet.  I would guess he's had at least 15-20 complaints about him on the boards today alone.

I would hope not. What's there to complain about? Sadly, I suspect you're right.

41 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Seller resolves a problem to buyer's satisfaction = positive or no feedback at all.

Seller remains mute or fails to resolve, going in circles instead and ebay/paypal must remedy when a seller refuses to = neutral or negative.

yeah my problem was ebay said to much time passed so I couldn't leave negative feedback as the seller strung me along and me being gullible insufficiently_thoughtful_person thought they would remedy the situation, but they did nothing. 

6 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I know I've kept it to myself as opposed to complaining.

I've even left positive feedback for transactions I was not happy with and just never did business with them again.

I recognize that as a fault and have worked to correct it.

One would think that despite what was said, not doing any further business is the real feedback.  Thats the way I would take it anyway.

2c

Edited by kav

9 minutes ago, kav said:

One would think that despite what was said, not doing any further business is the real feedback.  Thats the way I would take it anyway.

2c

Kind of how it was intended, but whacha gonna do (shrug)

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Kind of how it was intended, but whacha gonna do (shrug)

Maybe you could say your good feedback was just a figure of speech?

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Are you aware of the fake review industry?

ebay feedback is not anonymous. :facepalm:

I’m aware. It’s why I take positive feedback with a grain of salt on a lot of sites that don’t even verify purchase like eBay does. This doesn’t change the fact that ebay’s verified purchase system is one I see negative and neutral feedback left all the time in. And one I’d expect to see turn up at least 1 neutral review if there was a seller defrauding people “left and right” for thousands of dollars.

Ebay feedback isn’t entirely anonymous but it’s not really the same thing as talking to a waiter face-to-face after a meal, which is what I was mostly trying to compare and contrast with since that is apparently the source of truth which we present studies on to understand eBay’s feedback. I get it, if I leave feedback for some guy who lives on the other side of the world as me he now knows what my name is and has my address. I’m still probably never going to see this person in real life, or have anything to do with them beyond that, and they wouldn’t be able to identify me in a crowd of people if I happen to be in the same room as them in the future. 

In any case this conversation has been a waste of energy it seems. I’m done. I’ll continue buying on eBay and checking the feedback system, it’s been a useful tool for me personally despite what some people believe doesn’t include complaints.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

I would hope not. What's there to complain about? Sadly, I suspect you're right.

I've been humping buttons all day, and I still can't get no satisfaction...., :sorry: 

Just now, Mystafo said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I've been humping buttons all day, and I still can't get no satisfaction...., :sorry: 

Purvurt.

Damm buttons aren't very responsive or stimulating....., :blush:

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

yeah my problem was ebay said to much time passed so I couldn't leave negative feedback as the seller strung me along and me being gullible insufficiently_thoughtful_person thought they would remedy the situation, but they did nothing. 

In the final analysis, feedback should matter to potential buyers. Ebay gives members a good look into a seller's track record so they can look before they leap, thus it should matter, but I seriously question to what extent negatives impact a bidder/buyer. I sometimes see a seller with a history of negatives that should deter potential buyers from participating in their auctions and yet the bidding and results often don't reflect any impact at all that I would think should drastically impede the results! So in my estimation, we here may put a good deal of stock into a seller's track record of neutrals and negatives, but overall, I don't think it at all impacts the outcome as much as we think it does.

3 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I've been burnt on Ebay

Especially when it comes to buying Raws

Thinking I'm getting a pristine book that turns out to be "Not so pristine"

What about the worst line in all of Ebay

"I'm not a professional grader...but"

Be nice if someone from CGC came on and said

"I'm a proffessional grader,and the book you are looking at is absolutely not the grade the seller is suggesting"

There was a seller with about 2 dozen raw books listed for auction about 5 years ago. I don't remember the ID. he had relatively low feedbacks, maybe 50 or so and he listed a nice group of raw S.A. Marvels; a mixture of FFs,, Amazing Spider-mans, some X-Men, etc. random issues, non-keys, and from the clear, large pictures, you could easily tell that these were 9.0 to 9.4 territory books. Nowhere in the title or listing did he offer a grade or superlative as a stand-in for a grade. The listings only had the issue, year, and publisher, and in the description section mentioned, "Please see the pictures for condition, the book pictured is the exact one you will receive", or some such language.

I don't remember even one of them finishing for less than GPA CGC 9.2 for that issue and some finished well above that, in CGC 9.4 to 9.6 territory for that time. A windfall. All from pictures, no grades, no superlatives mentioned even once! 

53 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

And one I’d expect to see turn up at least 1 neutral review if there was a seller defrauding people “left and right” for thousands of dollars.

And yet, you have an excellent example in all_things_comics where that's not true.

54 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

In any case this conversation has been a waste of energy it seems

There's been a ton of valuable and important information shared in this discussion, so regardless of your feelings on the matter, and despite misconstruing some of the things said, I thank you for the opportunity to discuss it in depth. Principles are principles, whether you're dealing with someone face-to-face, or halfway around the world. Dynamics are certainly different, but underlying principles remain the same.

There are people (not referring to you) who have no idea how real business works, even if they do sell things on occasion, but have all sorts of opinions on it anyway. Some customers walk away...others get fired, and don't even realize it. Transactions are always two-way streets.