• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Think I just got ripped off on ebay

221 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Gonzimodo said:

Yes, this is usually the case for me.  I've turned a few potential negative feedbacks into positives once the seller fixes the problem in some way.  I've even left positive feedback along the lines of "damaged in shipping but seller replaced or refunded" or something like that.  I guess that's kind of a passive/aggressive, though...  hm

In the case with the DD 168 I stated above, I think the buyer just didn't leave feedback at all, which I felt was a win at the time after the ripping he gave me.

What was the user name of the buyer...?

Asking for a friend. :whistle:

(I kid, I kid! It wasn't me. Honest!)

19 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Be nice if someone from CGC came on and said

"I'm a proffessional grader,and the book you are looking at is absolutely not the grade the seller is suggesting"

They can and will. There was a thread that referred to CGC rendering a second opinion for a book listed on ebay for a small fee. They've had this type of non-submission, online opinion service in different collectable arenas for quite some time. Many hobbyists can easily tell when a book listed as NM is really a Fine, or spackled with color touch, or obviously trimmed, but there are those that can't, even with a clear, large scan. For those in that group, buying CGC's online opinion is money well spent.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 hours ago, Krishosein said:

For me there was some cases where I emailed the seller to help resolve the issue that I didn't get the product. They kept going in a circle . 

Seller resolves a problem to buyer's satisfaction = positive or no feedback at all.

Seller remains mute or fails to resolve, going in circles instead and ebay/paypal must remedy when a seller refuses to = neutral or negative.

16 minutes ago, kav said:

what is negative feedback if not a 'complaint on ebay'?

I think what he's saying is that most reasonable people would/should try to fix the problem with the seller before actually leaving negative feedback on eBay. If the issue is resolved to everyone's satisfaction, a potential negative feedback may actually turn into positive feedback.  If not, then fire away with negative feedback, or, if you're a spineless wuss like me, just don't say anything at all and move on.

I know that defeats the whole point of the feedback system, so I realize I am part of the problem. :facepalm:

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Indeed. No one said...as has been falsely reported...that no one ever complains about anything ever. 

Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 1.09.07 PM.png

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What was the user name of the buyer...?

Asking for a friend. :whistle:

(I kid, I kid! It wasn't me. Honest!)

I really wish I knew, but it was YEARS ago.  He really laid into me, though, which was pretty shocking to me at the time, especially since I wasn't THAT far off in my grading, as I recall.  (Maybe...? hm)  God bless the internet...

50 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

In general, I rely heavily on reviews for everything now

Are you aware of the fake review industry?

51 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

I’ve not seen an unwillingness to leave negative feedback anonymously online that you’re claiming at all.

ebay feedback is not anonymous. :facepalm:

14 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

They can and will. There was a thread that referred to CGC rendering a second opinion for a book listed on ebay for a small fee. They've had this type of non-submission, online opinion service in different collectable arenas for quite some time. Many hobbyists can easily tell when a book listed as NM is really a Fine, or spackled with color touch, or obviously trimmed, but there are those that can't, even with a clear, large scan. For those in that group, buying CGC's online opinion is money well spent.

After I read your post I remember seeing something like that.

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
15 hours ago, kav said:

Yes.  If people "didnt complain" then no one would ever complain.  But there are lots of people that complain.  I've seen sellers with 20 neg feedbacks.  Those are complaints.

Here, let me see if I can help you understand my post if I break it up a little:

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Because people don't complain.

This does not literally mean that no one has ever complained, nor ever will complain, about anything in the entire history of the universe, ever and ever, amen. It's a figure of speech; it's not meant to be taken absolutely literally. How do you know that...? 

You know it because the rest of the post...its context...makes that clear, specifically this line:

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Something usually has to be realllly wrong for most people to complain.

That's an acknowledgement that yes, in fact, people DO complain...it just takes a lot to get them to that point. That context makes the original statement clear.

Common sense tells you that if a seller is packaging your books by just putting them in a manila envelope and hoping for the best, resulting in damaged comics, you can't be the first buyer of this seller who has received damaged books. But, time and again, I've heard the "you're the only person to ever complain about it!"...which is almost certainly true. Was it because the seller packaged all the rest of his/her shipments to withstand a nuclear blast, and only got lazy the ONE time, with YOUR package? No. Of course not.

It means that the rest of his/her buyers do not care, and do not complain, just like the seller in question here.

Thanks for the opportunity to explain! :)

12 minutes ago, kav said:

Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 1.09.07 PM.png

This was already explained to you, requoted in the post above, which you vociferously complained you did, in fact, understand...only to repeat the same misunderstanding the next day. What is someone supposed to take away from posts like yours, if not malignant misrepresentation for personal purposes...?

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Still having problems understanding context, I see. :frown:

I mean I'm just taking his actual words as written, as he urges people to do-

1 minute ago, Gonzimodo said:

I really wish I knew, but it was YEARS ago.  He really laid into me, though, which was pretty shocking to me at the time, especially since I wasn't THAT far off in my grading, as I recall.  (Maybe...? hm)  God bless the internet...

And what must be factored into this complaints vs. no complaints equation is that some people just cannot be satisfied. When I was buying on ebay, before I contained all my buying to conventions, Heritage, ComicLink, Connect and a few of the better dealers in the hobby, if I reviewed the feedback of a seller whose item I was going to bid on and saw a negative, I'd look further. Ebay gives you the ability to do that, or used to years back anyway. I'd look at the "feedback given" comments that person leaving that seller a negative posted for others. I'd see results that ranged from that being the only negative that buyer ever left to buyers that give nothing but negatives to everybody! Like the only reason they bought anything was to leave negatives, leaving comments like "Seller ripped me off", etc., etc. for everybody!!! "Everybody is ripping this guy off"? I would think. Then I would overlook a negative left for someone from a buyer giving out negatives like Halloween candy. Take things from the source. "At face value" doesn't often paint the entire picture.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I mean I'm just taking his actual words as written, as he urges people to do-

Yes. I want you to take my actual words as written. And sometimes, those actual words contain figures of speech. 

"A figure of speech is a word or phrase that possesses a separate meaning from its literal definition. "

https://examples.yourdictionary.com/figure-of-speech-examples.html

5 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:
12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

After I read your post I remember seeing something like that.

I don't know if it's yet in effect, but it was discussed, and I thought this quick opinion was as great an idea for raw comics as it is for other hobbies!

It's in effect, go look at any comic book ebay listing, and it is there under payment options....... right by PayPal Credit etc..

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, kav said:

you always says you choose your words carefully-you could have said 'people rarely complain' or 'people dont always complain when dissatisfied' but you chose 'people dont complain'.   I guess anytime there is a contradiction in things people say they can just claim 'figure of speech'-

(shrug)

There was no contradiction. The context of the rest of the post made clear that "Because people don't complain" was a figure of speech, and not meant to be taken as a literal statement of literal fact. Once more:

"A figure of speech is a word or phrase that possesses a separate meaning from its literal definition. "

https://examples.yourdictionary.com/figure-of-speech-examples.htm

You are creating controversy where there is none. One can only conclude malignant intent on your part.