• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever hear of Mister Magik Woo?

106 posts in this topic

My philosophy is, if I'm a guest at someone's house and they ask me not to take a mess on their lawn, I don't urinate in their bushes.

My philosophy is quit your damn whining. :baiting:

If feels more like being a guest in someone's house who's heartbroken ex asks everyone to never ever speak his name again. Completely understandable, but still a bit nutty.

Here's a thread with Mr Woo's books: Vancouver Comic Show August 17/14

"Featuring the Pedigree Collection of Mr Magik Woo. One of the finest quality vintage comic collections on the planet. Available to the public for the first time in over 2 decades!"

Some of Woo's hi-grade comics/scans:

9wQPrZ9.jpg

Thanks for posting that. The books also include some golden age comics because there was a suspense 3 9.0

3F496FE7-9700-4923-B418-8C91D3A51CD1_zpstfaqhsra.jpg

Quite an amazing collection. I wonder who will end up auctioning them...

Saw that one in the flesh - so cool to see truly rare books in such high grades. All of his uber HG stuff are all stored in the bank. Magik Woo is also a great guy to chat with and a very passionate comic book collector.

My philosophy is, if I'm a guest at someone's house and they ask me not to take a mess on their lawn, I don't urinate in their bushes.

My philosophy is quit your damn whining. :baiting:

If you had bushes, I'd urinate in them on principal :slapfight:

BTW, my guess is that Mr Woo's real first name is Larry.

I was wondering why the fake name. Since most other collections are attributed to the owner's true name, there must be something behind it.

He was an entertainer and it was his stage name. He may have changed it legally by now even though he's retired.

"Featuring the Pedigree Collection of Mr Magik Woo. One of the finest quality vintage comic collections on the planet. Available to the public for the first time in over 2 decades!"

9wQPrZ9.jpg

Thanks for posting that. The books also include some golden age comics because there was a suspense 3 9.0

3F496FE7-9700-4923-B418-8C91D3A51CD1_zpstfaqhsra.jpg

Quite an amazing collection. I wonder who will end up auctioning them...

Heritage :gossip:

Good for him. Surprised to see them up for sale though as he always said he wanted to continue to keep and had mentioned the suspense 3 in particular was promised to someone in his will. Interesting

9.8 ASM 14

737499A5-134E-4E33-AEDB-118ED14D76EC_zpsynbchrbq.jpg

Gorgeous copy of one of my favorite books. :cloud9:

Still wondering if that's a softly graded 9.8 or not? (shrug)

Hard to tell from the scan but that upper left corner looks blunted slightly. If so, does this mean the other guys are softly grading SA books?

Looks like a gift grade to me, which is disappointing.

It's hard to tell...the scan isn't that clear on my phone. There is a tiny white speck there which could be some wear.

I'm not sure if it's over graded but it sure is one of the nicest copies I've ever seen of ASM 14

9wQPrZ9.jpg

9.0 white Suspense 3 :)

It's hard to tell...the scan isn't that clear on my phone. There is a tiny white speck there which could be some wear.

I'm not sure if it's over graded but it sure is one of the nicest copies I've ever seen of ASM 14

Yeah I think it's just a tweener . On this screen it looks too nice for 9.6 but not perfect enough to be a killer 9.8

Pretty sure this thread will be deleted shortly, as it does not promote or support Cgc who grants us collectors the privelage of this online forum. :tonofbricks:

Well, there are already a few guys saying the book is over graded.

Pretty sure this thread will be deleted shortly, as it does not promote or support Cgc who grants us collectors the privelage of this online forum. :tonofbricks:

I dunno.

The focus in this thread is on a new-to-the-market collection. The only graded book shown was done so in a discrete manner (I think) and unless it was mentioned, I wouldn't have paid attention to the fact that the book wasn't encapsulated by CGC.

I don't think it will get to the point that collections can't be talked about if some of the books are graded by another company, unless members subvert the thread by pushing the boundaries in order to promote an agenda (such as: Look, CGC is censoring the forums again! Poor us! We didn't do anything wrong!)

I don't see why grades can't be discussed if the focus is on the book, not the plastic.

2c

edit: I just realized you're probably being sarcastic- I'm so gullible- if so, please ignore my comments :)