• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When do you use signature confirmation?

21 posts in this topic

When do you use signature confirmation?

I ask because I recently bought a $100 slab on eBay. It wasn't for anything fancy, but it was a book I've been trying to find. It should have come this Thursday and I thought it was odd when I didn't see it Friday. I pulled up the tracking and it was signature confirmation doh! which now means I have to find time to go to the post office. It isn't a huge deal, but it is just a nuisance and I've never had someone do it on a book that cheap.

I live in a bad area and a package on my front stoop all day could be too tempting for some and also not much protection from the elements. I like not having to worry about the delivery attempt and I just go to the PO the next day and there it is. Stress free livin'

I find it odds sometime seller use signature confirmation but when I got the box from USPS, they never ask me for signature. Mailman just scanned the barcode & left the box on the door without anyone picking it up. Luckily nobody took my package when I came back home. :P

I use it for practically everything, unless a shipment is heading to a PO Box, or unless the buyer asks specifically for me to not use sig confirmation.

It is a pain, but it protects people from having boxes taken from their front porch, which in many neighborhoods is fairly easy to do, and is done with increasing frequency around the holidays.

I eat the three bucks for the service, and the buyer eats the drive to the post office. Both tasks suck, but it does offer a bit of security for the buyer and seller.

Why use Sig Confirmation? Just insure it. Under $200, no need. $200 and up, it's automatic.

Sig Conf is a waste of money.

Because with signature confirmation there's less chance that the book will get lost/stolen? Sure, insurance covers you financially, but I'd prefer that the book reach the buyer.

Why use Sig Confirmation? Just insure it. Under $200, no need. $200 and up, it's automatic.

Because with signature confirmation there's less chance that the book will get lost/stolen? Sure, insurance covers you financially, but I'd prefer that the book reach the buyer.

As I said before: signature is automatic on books that are insured for $200 or more through the USPS.

Signature confirmation is no more and no less guaranteed to reach the buyer than insurance. Insurance is, essentially, signature confirmation plus.

I have had signature confirmed packages given to the wrong recipient, and thankfully, they turned it back in, but there was nothing preventing them from keeping it, and the sender would have been completely out of luck.

As I said before: signature is automatic on books that are insured for $200 or more through the USPS.

Signature confirmation is no more and no less guaranteed to reach the buyer than insurance. Insurance is, essentially, signature confirmation plus.

I have had signature confirmed packages given to the wrong recipient, and thankfully, they turned it back in, but there was nothing preventing them from keeping it, and the sender would have been completely out of luck.

Many of us have insurance policies through collectinsure. They require signature confirmation to pay a claim. As a result, in the vast majority of cases, its cheaper for me to buy signature confirmation than insurance.

I believe eBay/PayPal give you the options.

When I see their addresses with PO Box, Apt and Unit number, I take the option by checking the box for the signature confirmation. I know I really don't want to do it but I have no choice to take the option rather than being sorry.

I always use Signature Confirmation on my sales; I am paranoid because of an issue I had once where Delivery Confirmation showed an item was delivered, but the buyer claimed he never received it and opened a case against me. EBay ruled in his favor and I was screwed even though Delivery Confirmation showed the item was delivered. This was a while ago and I don't know if eBay shipping rules have changed now, so I'm going to have to read up and maybe in some cases not mail using Signature Confirmation.

It just gives me peace of mind though; in March I got hit with a cc chargeback for an eBay sale I made in December for pair of Jordan sneakers. EBay found me not liable because I had mailed them out and used Signature Confirmation and USPS records showed someone had signed for them.

On a personal note I prefer when seller's use Signature Confirmation because I've had too many non-sig required packages go missing after the mailman "left them by the door."

Many of us have insurance policies through collectinsure. They require signature confirmation to pay a claim. As a result, in the vast majority of cases, its cheaper for me to buy signature confirmation than insurance.

Interesting point hm

I live in a bad area and a package on my front stoop all day could be too tempting for some and also not much protection from the elements. I like not having to worry about the delivery attempt and I just go to the PO the next day and there it is. Stress free livin'

^^

I use it for practically everything, unless a shipment is heading to a PO Box, or unless the buyer asks specifically for me to not use sig confirmation.

It is a pain, but it protects people from having boxes taken from their front porch, which in many neighborhoods is fairly easy to do, and is done with increasing frequency around the holidays.

I eat the three bucks for the service, and the buyer eats the drive to the post office. Both tasks suck, but it does offer a bit of security for the buyer and seller.

^^

I always use Signature Confirmation on my sales; I am paranoid because of an issue I had once where Delivery Confirmation showed an item was delivered, but the buyer claimed he never received it and opened a case against me. EBay ruled in his favor and I was screwed even though Delivery Confirmation showed the item was delivered. This was a while ago and I don't know if eBay shipping rules have changed now, so I'm going to have to read up and maybe in some cases not mail using Signature Confirmation.

It just gives me peace of mind though; in March I got hit with a cc chargeback for an eBay sale I made in December for pair of Jordan sneakers. EBay found me not liable because I had mailed them out and used Signature Confirmation and USPS records showed someone had signed for them.

On a personal note I prefer when seller's use Signature Confirmation because I've had too many non-sig required packages go missing after the mailman "left them by the door."

^^

I use SigCon for every sale I make. Even if the item is $25. It's a security blanket for my piece of mind.