• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 Halloween is Upon Us!

76 posts in this topic

We had a costume party last night so we went as some what scary clowns. We have another party tonight which will be all adults so the scary level will be thru the roof.

Clown1_zps5e428a59.jpg

clown2_zps0083afd9.jpg

Clown3_zps9abf46e6.jpg

Clown4_zps1aef3b6c.jpg

Clown5_zps0052d1d2.jpg

......I just crapped my pants....

My daughter Olivia was a hit walking around Salem dressed as a :busy:

2mysr6a.jpg

Very cute! We might've run into you guys if we weren't hiding out. October is time to batten down the hatches.

I don't have any costume pictures yet, but here’s a few shots of the front yard. Every year my son and I make a new Halloween decoration. I wanted to paint another large figure like Frankenksein from last year but we just didn’t have time. Instead, we opted for a scary scarecrow, in the form of a cyclops. My son wanted to make it with two heads but again, there wasn’t enough time. The large skull in the window was from 2 years ago, and the ghost our first one going back 3 years.

Yardfromfront.jpg

Halloween2014FrankensteinCyclopsWindow.jpg

Halloween2014yard.jpg

Halloween2014lowangle.jpg

Can I ask how important Halloween really is to Americans?

How many people actually do anything on the day?

Just curious.

Halloween is HUGE in the states. Last I checked, it's right behind Christmas in terms of sales. For me, Halloween is much more than just a holiday. It's a day that allows communities and neighborhoods to get together, and celebrate the fact that there is still a lot of trust and love in this country. It's a shame that there are people who want to shut this holiday down.

Whats the back story on Salem and Halloween?

It's insane.

We went through Salem this year and even when there's nothing going on the witch stuff is in full tilt - Hex shops, tours, etc. It's crazy.

Can I ask how important Halloween really is to Americans?

How many people actually do anything on the day?

Just curious.

In my experience, every family in North America that has children does something about it. Either handing out candy or kids go trick or treating. The adults often use it as a time to dress up when they wouldn't normally.

The only people I'd say who do nothing for Hallowe'en are those that object to the day (and some do on religious grounds) and those that don't have young families...although in my experience even the elderly like to give it out treats.

It's a pretty big deal on these shores.

Since we're on the subject, I've gotta recommend this awesome book... http://www.amazon.com/Halloween-An-American-Holiday-History/dp/1565543467/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414623607&sr=8-1&keywords=halloween+an+american+holiday+an+american+history

It's a book about Halloween and how the holiday has played a significant role in the States.

Interesting thing is... everyone believes that Salem, MA is where all of the witch trials took place. They actually took place in Salem Village.... which later became Danvers (where I live now) which is also the former site of the Danvers State Hospital which many believe to be haunted. :eek:

Danvers: The Creepiest Town in America

Salem Witch Trials

Danvers State Hospital

Salem is fun to visit at Halloween. It's tough to live there as anyone that has lived in a big tourist city can attest to. But it was definitely a fun few years when we lived there. :grin:

Thanks! The first one is cool. The next two are just Wikipedia. :grin:

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll have to check it out. (thumbs u I love Halloween. I wish they stretched it out like they stretch out Christmas for two months.