• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the time you went all in on a book...

112 posts in this topic

Ok, so a book is coming up in auction (nope not saying which one) that is hitting all the buttons for me (and its a one of a kind, pedigree type book, so it's not like another will come along tomorrow) and I'm thinking about throwing GPA, Overstreet, and any other price guide out the window on it and just bidding away...

who can tell their tale of doing similar? Did you regret it afterwards? Do you love the book so much you dont care? Do you have a book you wish you DID take that approach with but didnt?

I thought about posting this in general, but I think "throwing out the guide" doesnt make sense when dealing with SA/BA books since they are far more plentiful, but for GA books, especially rare or pedigree ones...

so tell your tale, and maybe I'll have one to tell in a few weeks too.

As long as you plan to hold and are sure you won't regret it (and can afford it) then go all in.

I do it once in a while when I really want a book. Sometimes I sell at a loss down the road and sometimes I don't but I do enjoy owning something really special in the mean time.

I used to own a Venus 19 that was a raw copy and i bought it off of Goldust several years ago. I had it on my wall display at a comic show and my comic partner took wall photos and posted them to a thread about the show. I got bombarded by PM's over the Venus 19, and i basically kept raising the price on it as I did not want to sell it. the last person to PM me asked for the price, I replied with my "lofty" number and was told "ok." so I sold it. i regretted selling it every day after that. Lo and behold a year later I see my exact book for sale on heritage and now it resides in a blue CGC 4.5 case.

I bid on it with zero care for what the final tally would be as I *had* to have my old book back. I ended up paying the same cost as the CGC 6.0 that sold in the same auction. :blush:

I don't really regret it, the book is in my collection for a long time now.

I bought this book last year for around $5,100, which was quite a bit more than I had expected to pay.

I have had second thoughts about it because it was the reason couldn't afford to donate very much money to endangered species charities last year. I feel like going after it was a little self-indulgent.

It's a beautiful book, and I think it's unlikely I'll ever see a nicer copy, but if I had it to do over again, I would have let it go. There are to many nice books out there to go out on a limb for any particular one.

150603.jpg.fb529085a91e6bff1b9c7851d232965c.jpg

I did it on an Avengers 1 CGC 9.4 back when I was building the whole run. I won it on CLINK when things were getting hot for the title. I ended up selling it with the whole set for a nice profit. There were times I worried I'd made a bad choice but it turned out to be my best comic investment.

I did it on an Avengers 1 CGC 9.4 back when I was building the whole run. I won it on CLINK when things were getting hot for the title. I ended up selling it with the whole set for a nice profit. There were times I worried I'd made a bad choice but it turned out to be my best comic investment.

Man, I remember some of the battles you had putting together that high grade Avengers run. It was legendary to watch.

It's always, ALWAYS the books I DIDN'T buy that I regret.

If you can afford it, pull the trigger. Pull the trigger again and again until you run out of bullets.

I'll play the wet blanket as I think the only answer is "it depends."

Is the price you're willing to pay "mad money" that you'd splurge on some other conspicuous consumption that you wouldn't mind foregoing?

Is the book essential to what makes your collection special?

Will the purchase take up most or all of your budget for the year and are you comfortable with what you would give up?

Would you rather have the pedigree kitten in the window of the pet store or a few more bargain-priced kittens off of Craig's list?

Are you confident you understand the market well enough to know how scarce it is and how much of a premium you would be paying?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'll play the wet blanket as I think the only answer is "it depends."

Is the price you're willing to pay "mad money" that you'd splurge on some other conspicuous consumption that you wouldn't mind foregoing?

Is the book essential to what makes your collection special?

Will the purchase take up most or all of your budget for the year and you comfortable with what you would give up?

Would you rather have the pedigree kitten in the window of the pet store or a few more bargain-priced kittens off of Craig's list?

Are you confident you understand the market well enough to know how scarce it is and how much of a premium you would be paying?

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Market shmarket! Buy the danged book :makepoint:

The first time i did it, was for the Windy City copy of Negro Romance #1. It was the most i had ever paid for a book (at that time), and the book had been on my want list for years, I had been the under bidder for an eBay copy on a particular weekend, and was 'sick' i tell you, because i kept saying "you didn't put in a high enough sniper bid" after i loss, and you'll NEVER see another copy.

Two days later, a certain 'Dr. Love' contacted me anonymously (from the days when eBay allowed you to do that)with the news he had a superior (and a pedigree copy) to boot for sale if i was interested. The price was a record for me at that time, but i bit the bullet, thinking how bad i felt missing out on the eBay auction, and i did it. Never looked back since. Thanks Dr. Love! :cloud9:imagejpg1_zps5ed51adf.jpg