• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the time you went all in on a book...

112 posts in this topic

great thread.... I rarely comment... but this is the type of thread I look for updates twice a day.

for me 'all in' started as the sentiment of paying far more for a book then I'd paid previously. jumping from $50 for EC books in low grade to $600 for my first Gaines copy ... to $1500 for my first Xmen 1, to $3500 for my first FF1 purple to $7500 for my only AF 15 purple...

... then it quickly jumped to paying double guide for books... that until I discovered these boards I didn't realize were still well valued, and possibly under FMV... and this as you can guess was my permanent love for Golden Age and GGA. And now specifically Baker books.

in between.. my favourite 'all in' moments weren't about the dollar amounts - or even the specific collectability but rather as you are describing... the 'one' that may not come up again ... the rarely seen ... the, oh it does exist... which has happened to me more personally in 1910, 1911 sports cards then comics... but when it hits... oh my... count me in... all in... and I've always been happy (but in for the long hold and not caring if I paid "too much")

ps...

anybody with an Avon Errie 1, Giant 12 Diary Secrets, Teen age Romance 1 (how did I not pull the trigger on the ebay copy after close to a year of admiring).... I'm ready for another all-in above gpa (plus 25%? 35?), in any grade you have it.

I'm a bit out of synch here it appears. There are books I'm prepared a bit more than my guess at FMV, but not a whole lot. I figure there's always another rainbow to chase - and I think it's the chase of the 'right' copy that's a lot of the fun. Having watched for a few years now, a lot of big books get recycled. That suggests to me that they either cost too much for that buyer (opportunity cost to owner is too high) or they didn't bring as much pleasure as the $$ demanded. Just my 2c

This is why I listed the questions that I did to try and help someone determine what makes the most sense for them. Not every instance of "all in" involves a collector stretching for a book that they have looked for without success for a number of years and that they can easily afford to pay a premium for because they will get enjoyment from it for a long time.

...in the words of Frank Zappa, herein lies "The crux of the apostrophe". Even if a book had to be sold for a little less than I paid, these things keep me out of the shot house and the hoosegow..... and that's worth something. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I went all-in on a CGC 8.5 AF 15
yes you did. I remember that one. All chips to the center of the table (thumbs u

Untill you live in a cardboard box and sleep under a bridge - you are not "all in"

that was Brian's situation plus Ramon noodles and spam everyday after that deal. (thumbs u

Yes I was.. Had to use food stamps to eat lol

Oh my, ... what was the deal ?

Really enjoyed reading the stories in this thread. Never pulled the trigger on a major HG key, but definitely went out of my comfort zone for a low grade TOS 39 and a mid grade CSS 22. Absolute total rush throwing a big (for me) sniper bid in the dying seconds and waiting for the finale. Addictive.

I may need a twelve step meeting for this........

Auction fever ... (thumbs u

Anyone thinking of going all in on Heritage in Nov. There's lots of choice, especially in OA.

Not this time. A book featuring a cover I particularly like--not quite a favorite--is in the auction, but it's trimmed too narrow, with 1/4" or so of artwork missing along the right edge, which is a huge pet peeve of mine. I'd still buy it at a deep discount to guide, but there are enough collectors wiling to ignore that defect that I don't think there's much chance of that happening.

For a GA book, I fought a tough battle for a Daring Mystery 1, 9.2. I had to consign some really nice books to get that one (goodbye TOS 39 9.2, white pages). Those premium Schomburg books suck me in like a drug.

For a GA book, I fought a tough battle for a Daring Mystery 1, 9.2. I had to consign some really nice books to get that one (goodbye TOS 39 9.2, white pages). Those premium Schomburg books suck me in like a drug.

Daring Mystery 1 :cloud9: ....... another TOS 39 will turn up....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I went all in on this Sup 1 a few years ago (it was in a different holder then). I knew the guy who owned it and I had been buying books from him for a few years, but he always held this one back. He did promise to sell it to me eventually, and then one day he called me and said "I want to sell now." I had to scramble to sell some books to raise some cash, move some funds around, and most importantly convince my wife (with the help of ciorac, lol). In the end it all came together and I got my grail and I've not regretted it.

Superman%25201%2520CGC%25205.0%2520Conserved.jpg

I went all in on this Sup 1 a few years ago (it was in a different holder then). I knew the guy who owned it and I had been buying books from him for a few years, but he always held this one back. He did promise to sell it to me eventually, and then one day he called me and said "I want to sell now." I had to scramble to sell some books to raise some cash, move some funds around, and most importantly convince my wife (with the help of ciorac, lol). In the end it all came together and I got my grail and I've not regretted it.

I remember you coming home with that one Todd :)

It is such a beautiful book that presents well, and I love the conserved label. I only wish it would stay... :(

Sounds like you two collectors have a fabulous living arrangement! Color me envious :cloud9:

Sounds like you two collectors have a fabulous living arrangement! Color me envious :cloud9:

yah this long distance living arrangements work out good lol

yah this long distance living arrangements work out good lol

lol

:cloud9:

That is a thing of beauty and consider myself lucky to see it up close.Over the top book!!!!!

BEATIFUL BOOK: CAN WE GET TO SEE THE bc SCAN