• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the time you went all in on a book...

112 posts in this topic

I've gone all in on several books...unfortunately, in a couple of those cases someone else did too. That'll put you in a pickle if you don't think your max bid will ever possibly be reached. :frustrated:

I've gone all in on several books...unfortunately, in a couple of those cases someone else did too. That'll put you in a pickle if you don't think your max bid will ever possibly be reached. :frustrated:

I think it was Jimbo who coined the phrase "atomic bomb bid" for a bid that's way over FMV and entered to ensure that it wins. I sometimes wonder whether some really high auction results come from two such bids detonating on top of each other.

I think it was Jimbo who coined the phrase "atomic bomb bid" for a bid that's way over FMV and entered to ensure that it wins. I sometimes wonder whether some really high auction results come from two such bids detonating on top of each other.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's happened many times.

It happened on every single book I bid on back in the Greg Manning auctions. I personally think proxy bids were being leaked, which is why I rarely put in those sorts of bids these days. There'll always be another book, maybe even a nicer one.

(I still wouldn't buy from Bill Hughes or Jay Parrino—who of course is out of comics anyhow—even though I don't have any proof either of them was involved in any fraud. I sort of figure the buck stops with Bill since he was running the auctions, & I got the impression that Parrino was trying to manipulate the high-end comic book market.)

It happened on every single book I bid on back in the Greg Manning auctions. I personally think proxy bids were being leaked, which is why I rarely put in those sorts of bids these days. There'll always be another book, maybe even a nicer one.

(I still wouldn't buy from Bill Hughes or Jay Parrino—who of course is out of comics anyhow—even though I don't have any proof either of them was involved in any fraud. I sort of figure the buck stops with Bill since he was running the auctions, & I got the impression that Parrino was trying to manipulate the high-end comic book market.)

Parino was making his initial foray into the comics market and was willing to pay a very high premium for the best graded copies. If you wanted a book on his list then it would require you to bid well above market price to have a chance at winning. I was blown out of the water on almost everything I bid on though a few years later I was able to pick up a couple of them at very reasonable prices.

Back in the mid-1980s, I paid $100 each ( :o:o ) for two books i really, really, really wanted -- an order of magnitude more than I had ever previously paid for a single comic.

Then:

th_Venus14.jpg th_Venus17-c2.jpg

Now:

Venus14-90.jpg

Venus17-85.jpg

Buy and hold, baby. Buy and hold. :cloud9:

Back in the mid-1980s, I paid $100 each ( :o:o ) for two books i really, really, really wanted -- an order of magnitude more than I had ever previously paid for a single comic.

Let me just be the first to say,

*spoon* :whatthe:(worship)

That is all.

:applause:

There's still hope that one day you'll get your money back on them :wishluck: