• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blumhouse's SPAWN THE MOVIE starring Jamie Foxx (2025?)
2 2

67 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, philsbackpack said:

I'm legit excited for this.

I'm re-reading the Bendis TBP right now.

I can see this being made and on TV before the next SPAWN movie gets off the ground.

BOSCO you may want to edit the thread title since this news actually looks quite legit and confirmed by multiple sources.

...Sam and Twitch are getting a TV show...

Unfortunately the thread is further back than a year ago. It doesn't allow for editing the title.

:ohnoez:

Remember that Spawn animated rumor?

'Spawn' Could Be Getting A New Animated Series

Recently, McFarlane took to the stage at New York Comic Con to talk about his lengthy career. ComicBook was there in attendance, and the crowd went wild when McFarlane talked about Spawn’s animation rights.

“I’m going to get the movie out and then we still have the rights for TV and animation,” McFarlane hinted. “We’ll just figure it out.”

Of course, Spawn is no stranger to the world of animation. Back in 1997, the series had an animated run on HBO until 1999. Keith David was the man who voiced the character, and Spawn even won an Emmy Award in 1999 as an Outstanding Animation Program. A sequel been in the works for some time, but Spawn: The Animation has been stuck in development for awhile.

Right now, McFarlane is plenty busy working on Spawn’s live-action film. The movie has been talked about for years, but progress is being made on the highly anticipated movie. During NYCC, McFarlane spoke with ComicBook exclusively to talk about the film, and the director revealed details about its -script.

"We just finished the -script, we're going to be budgeting it, and then we'll go put the money together, and at that point then go to Hollywood, make our distribution deal," McFarlane explained.

"By getting Jason [Blum], it's no longer theoretical," McFarlane said, nodding to the film’s previous state of limbo.

"I've been talking about it for years and years and years, to the point that I think people were tuning me out. I'd go, 'No, no, no, the boulder is now starting to move.'"

:whee:

Looks like the Sam & Twitch project is still moving forward.

Spawn Spinoff Sam & Twitch Live-Action TV Series In Development

A television adaptation of Sam and Twitch, a spinoff series based on the Spawn comics, is in early development. The 1999 spinoff follows two NYPD homicide detectives from the original 1992 comics series. A previous Sam and Twitch spinoff from Kevin Smith, the BBC, and Wolf was born and died in 2017.

THR reports that Sam and Twitch will now get its own television series. Todd MacFarlane, creator of the Spawn comics universe, is working on a live-action TV version of the show, which is currently in its very early stages of development. MacFarlane is building on existing Spawn film and television adaptations, the first of which came out in 1997 and the second of which aired for three seasons on HBO from 1997 to 1999. With his new show, MacFarlane hopes to continue building toward a shared Spawn universe, but the writer acknowledges the process may take time. Read what MacFarlane said below:

Could there be a third or fourth big shared universe? Possibly. But is it going to happen fast with one or two individuals? No...It’s going to be a long, multi-creator group that is just going to spread your creative seeds and stand back and hope it grows into a forest.

Jason Smilovic and Todd Katzberg (The Cipher, Condor) have been tapped to write the Sam and Twitch -script for wiip, an independent film studio. The project will be executive produced by MacFarlane, Smilovic, and Katzberg, as well as Paul Lee and Mark Roybal from wiip.

I'll give McFarlane credit on taking his time, hopefully to make sure everything is to his standards. Which should mean this production will be more than worth it.

I'll be holding onto my Spawn collection for awhile more

The long-in-the-works Spawn movie is back in action.

Brian Tucker, who penned the 2013 Russell Crowe and Mark Wahlberg crime thriller Broken City, has been hired to write the -script for the feature project.

Jason Blum’s Blumhouse Productions is behind the feature which has Todd McFarlane, the creator of the comic and character, attached as director.

Blum and McFarlane are producing. Carla Hacken is executive producing.

Todd McFarlane To Launch Two New TV Series

This morning, comic book legend Todd McFarlane announced the launch of a dedicated television development and production arm of McFarlane Films, the video component of his entertainment empire, which is better known for comic books and toys. Through McFarlane Films, which has a first-look television deal with production house Wiip (MARE OF EASTTOWN), McFarlane and his President of Television, Sean Canino, identify and develop new emerging talent, creator-owned properties, independent brands, stories, and characters. It's starting with a pair of new series that McFarlane Films is putting into development right now, from established talent fronting them. This is in addition to the long-in-development TV adaptation of Sam & Twitch, which McFarlane says is still in the works even as these other projects are moving forward.

McFarlane Films' initial television development slate includes projects from Thomas Lennon, co-creator of Reno 911! and writer of Night at the Museum; Anders Weidemann, who adapted HBO's Beartown and created Paramount +'s Interrogation; prolific graphic-novel author, Sean Lewis; and ShadowMachine, who produced Bojack Horseman and Guillermo Del Toro's upcoming Pinocchio.

"Having been in development with Jason Blum at Blumhouse, along with attaching Jamie Foxx on a potential Spawn movie franchise, other opportunities both in film and television came forward which led to this expansion in entertainment," said Todd McFarlane, McFarlane Films CEO. "Films, television, and video games are all areas I intend to spend my creative energy on a steady basis."

McFarlane's statement frames the decision to move aggressively into film and TV as an extension of the philosophy that led him to co-found Image Comics: he wants to take the talents he has been using to benefit others, and turn it around to benefit him.

Screen Rant hosted the comic book legend at their San Diego Comic-Con 2022 media suite and asked McFarlane about whether he had any further news on his planned Spawn film. Confirming that despite delays due to the pandemic the project is still moving forward and is “adding pieces.” McFarlane reveals that he has some big news planned for New York Comic Con in October:

---------------------

We decided, "You know what, let's just do it in New York." We'll do it in New York [Comic Con].

Are we moving? Are we adding pieces? All of the above, yes. The best I can say right now, besides all that's been happening, is that it kind of got slowed down during the pandemic and then picked back up. Especially given that, for a while, the only movies people were going to during the pandemic were superhero movies - minus James Bond. Now you get Maverick, and some of the big blockbusters that are coming back to normal.

But at New York Comic Con, there is going to be a big announcement.

Sitting down with ComicBook's Jim Viscardi at San Diego Comic-Con 2022, McFarlane revealed he's "had that conversation" about developing Spawn as a streaming series instead of a movie.

"The answer is you should probably think about it. What if one of the big networks come out and draw up a ton of cash and say they want to make it a streaming movie?" McFarlane said. "My only hesitation for that kind of deal right now is that there's no data that I can think of that somebody's been able to build a [movie] franchise starting as a streaming [series]."

On 7/27/2022 at 6:43 PM, bentbryan said:

I wonder why he really can’t get this off the ground. Spawn is such a great character and could be a great series/ movie done right.  At the very least go back to the animated series style. 

I imagine the amount of dickering to get anything done these days is frustrating 

On 7/27/2022 at 7:43 PM, bentbryan said:

I wonder why he really can’t get this off the ground. Spawn is such a great character and could be a great series/ movie done right.  At the very least go back to the animated series style. 

He wants complete control 

he could easily get it done but because he wants to do it himself that’s the hold up 

On 7/27/2022 at 10:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

He wants complete control 

he could easily get it done but because he wants to do it himself that’s the hold up 

After following him on social media for years and reading things online that’s the sentiment I have as well. But is it to just write and direct? Those probably are the 2 biggest factors and it doesn’t seem like a big ask to me.  No doubt he wants to avoid results like the first movie….and keep as much of the cash for himself and not give away to a movie studio.  

On 7/28/2022 at 5:22 AM, bentbryan said:

After following him on social media for years and reading things online that’s the sentiment I have as well. But is it to just write and direct? Those probably are the 2 biggest factors and it doesn’t seem like a big ask to me.  No doubt he wants to avoid results like the first movie….and keep as much of the cash for himself and not give away to a movie studio.  

Correct - probably also be executive producer so he wants full control but for someone to help finance - not a lot of takers as a result 

plenty of other properties that those avenues have to choose from so that’s why they’ve passed  for now 

If he's serious about getting this done, I would give it up to a seasoned director. If I'm a financier, you expect me to give up $100M to a first time director? Who bets the house on a rookie QB who didn't play a lick of college ball. I doubt that McFarlane is using his own cash. Comics and toys are different animals when it comes to funding Hollywood blockbusters. 

That being said, I love how he keeps teasing people on developments on it. Keeps it in people's minds. Spawn is actually a hot property and their back issues are quietly doing well in value. 

On 7/28/2022 at 9:12 PM, Lpgk said:

If he's serious about getting this done, I would give it up to a seasoned director. If I'm a financier, you expect me to give up $100M to a first time director? Who bets the house on a rookie QB who didn't play a lick of college ball. I doubt that McFarlane is using his own cash. Comics and toys are different animals when it comes to funding Hollywood blockbusters. 

Exactly.

If I'm a Hollywood studio, no way would I risk even a $40 million Spawn film on Todd as a director.

Because some of us remember when Frank Miller first went to Hollywood. And gave us:

• Robocop 2 & Robocop 3 (first screenwriting credits)
  • The Spirit (first solo directing credit)

:facepalm: