• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blumhouse's SPAWN THE MOVIE starring Jamie Foxx (2025?)
2 2

67 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2022 at 9:30 PM, jsilverjanet said:

He wants complete control 

he could easily get it done but because he wants to do it himself that’s the hold up 

This.  It has always been this.

Which I have no qualms with.  It's his creation.  Plus he has been very successful at doing comics and launching a toy line.  So there's no reason for him to think he couldn't create a successful Spawn movie.

***But I always tamper my excitement whenever rumors of a Spawn movie is coming because of this

On 8/2/2022 at 9:53 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Exactly.

If I'm a Hollywood studio, no way would I risk even a $40 million Spawn film on Todd as a director.

Because some of us remember when Frank Miller first went to Hollywood. And gave us:

• Robocop 2 & Robocop 3 (first screenwriting credits)
  • The Spirit (first solo directing credit)

:facepalm:

Look at Stephen King. How many times did he try to write/direct/ adapt his own works. Sometimes, it's better to let an expert take over. 

On 8/4/2022 at 10:47 PM, Lpgk said:

Look at Stephen King. How many times did he try to write/direct/ adapt his own works. Sometimes, it's better to let an expert take over. 

This. He can retain control, while handing reigns to people far more adept at the screen than he is

It actual case here is, how much of  a control freak is he?

I think the best adaptations are done with the base outline, and tweaks to make things work help smooth the transition. 

If he is adamant on detailing every tiny bit of dialogue and plot, this will be doomed to fail

I think McFarlane is a bit of a control freak. It's great in some ways, not so in others. 

If you look at his toy lines, he's introduced incredible detail and realism. His Sportspicks line were amazing at the time; no one ever saw sculpts and realism like that before. However, there's virtually no poseability or articulation. 

Same for his DC and Spawn licenses now. The sculpts and detail are great  but there is something fundamentally lacking with those toys; playability. The articulation is not very functional. There's very limited range of motion and sometimes they're in some unnatural pose which hinders poseability. Also, he rarely reuses parts so you can't customize the figures easily. Whereas, Hasbro reuses many of the same parts so you can generally easily switch hands, accessories and especially heads to create new versions of figures you want. 

How does this relate to his movie making venture? He may be so fixated on doing things exactly how he wants that he loses sight of what makes a movie successful. Whereas a proven producer and/or director knows this and is willing to compromise in order to get the best product, in light of all other factors. 

I guess Jamie Foxx is still attached.

A movie based on Todd McFarlane's Image Comics character Spawn has been in the works for quite some time now and while there hasn't been a lot in the way of major news, McFarlane has offered updates here and there, including recently telling ComicBook.com that a big announcement is coming, But now, Jamie Foxx, who is set to star in the film, is offering some pretty big updates of his own, revealing to us that the film is "special and original" while comparing it to another original take on a comic book character — Joker.

"I will tell you this. I talk to Todd and the thing is that we want to craft something that is so special because I remember seeing the first Spawn movies and then seeing the HBO versions and so we have something that is almost like an original, without giving too much away," Foxx said. "But it starts in a. way that is so cool. And it's not big budget, you know? And that's what I love about it. It's sort of like how when they did the Joker. The Joker, yes, is here, but the story about this man who was in fire, it's the same with what we're doing with this. And so, we're just like, just getting this right, cooking it right, but staying in contact, keeping the energy going and when we lay it on you, there's gonna be some moments where you go "oh man." You've been watching everybody shoot their shot and now we're getting ready to shoot ours."

But in an exclusive interview with ComicBook at New York Comic Con, McFarlane cast doubt on making Spawn his feature filmmaking debut.

"I've been up on stage going, 'I'm gonna write, produce, direct, and it.' I've been pushing that on Jamie, and he's sort of in that world. The writers want to do something different. Let's leave it at that," McFarlane told ComicBook. "They don't want to repeat — nobody wants to do a $200 million special effects extravaganza. That's not what Spawn is to any of us."

Conceived by McFarlane as a lower-budgeted supernatural thriller, the comic book writer and artist says Spawn will remain a smaller-scale story — more Joker than Avengers. 

"We want to do something that, obviously, is entertaining, is visually interesting to look at, but hopefully leaves you with something when you walk away," McFarlane said. "You can go, 'Wow, that was a little bit deeper than I thought it was going to be.' The goal is to start a franchise." Not just a Spawn movie, McFarlane explained, but "start a franchise so that we have multiple movies coming right behind it that will, eventually, lead into the expansion of a Spawn universe."

On 10/6/2022 at 6:38 PM, Bosco685 said:

This is a step in the right direction 

Think about how awesome Star Wars would have been with George Lucas' character in it?

lol

Man, it still would have been better than the sequels......

On 10/7/2022 at 6:36 AM, MetaMucil said:

This is a step in the right direction 

Think about how awesome Star Wars would have been with George Lucas' character in it?

lol

Man, it still would have been better than the sequels......

McFarlane assuming he could be a first-time director and getting big studio support was a wild stretch.

I recently rewatched the entire MTV Spawn series where McFarlane does the intro each time. I can only imagine how he forced his way into doing those scenes, assuming it would feel like Stephen King or R.L. Stine kicking off a show. The low point of those episodes.

On 10/7/2022 at 6:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

McFarlane assuming he could be a first-time director and getting big studio support was a wild stretch.

I recently rewatched the entire MTV Spawn series where McFarlane does the intro each time. I can only imagine how he forced his way into doing those scenes, assuming it would feel like Stephen King or R.L. Stine kicking off a show. The low point of those episodes.

Yes, it was cringe 

Spawn's upcoming movie has a brand new update from Todd McFarlane. The creator says that this Spawn will be a bigger budget movie with A-list talent attached in an interview with Comicbook.com's Chris Killian on the new That's Collectibles Show. During their conversation, the topic of the beloved 90s franchise had to come up. A long time ago, McFarlane argued that his Spawn project would be a lower scale affair. However, the success of multiple more "mature" comic book properties have changed things a bit. From reports of Jamie Foxx's involvement previously to today's statements, things are looking bright for the Spawn movie.

"My original plan has gotten tripped up a bit," McFarlane revealed. "You deal with a lot, given Hollywood. None of that should be surprising. But, you start bringing on A-list people. And we're bringing on A-list people. Not just one, but multiple A-list people. And, it's going to continue to grow. You're going to sell it to a studio, and then it's going to grow some more. What they're not going to want is to do a cheap, low-budget movie with all of these big name people on it. That's not why they're signing up. They're not looking for a big extravaganza. But, they're also not looking for an 8 million dollar horror movie budget."