• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchasing a Copper/Modern collection (photos now added)

144 posts in this topic

Is this going to be a " vemd93.gif Gotcha! I fooled you guys! :banana: " at the end of all of this (again)? :taptaptap:

No this is 100% legit. No jokes

Frankly, I'm shocked you're piece-mealing it. I would have just negotiated a price for everything. It's clear from your questions that you really don't have clue . . . :grin: As to the cherrypickers - LAME! The way the current market is going you have no idea what will be of value tomorrow, let alone next week. My head is spinning! :insane: What you've shown us already will probably pay for the whole collection (unless of course you're as bad at selling as at buying) :baiting:

:foryou: Great find!

Is this going to be a " vemd93.gif Gotcha! I fooled you guys! :banana: " at the end of all of this (again)? :taptaptap:

No this is 100% legit. No jokes

Frankly, I'm shocked you're piece-mealing it. I would have just negotiated a price for everything. It's clear from your questions that you really don't have clue . . . :grin: As to the cherrypickers - LAME! The way the current market is going you have no idea what will be of value tomorrow, let alone next week. My head is spinning! :insane: What you've shown us already will probably pay for the whole collection (unless of course you're as bad at selling as at buying) :baiting:

:foryou: Great find!

I didn't really have a choice. When I arrived, the seller had just his marvel stuff out and I got to flip through it. The FFs started in the late 100s, the Caps in the 200s, Hulks in the 190s, etc so many of the good bronze wasn't there.

I talked about buying the whole thing and he seemed ok with it but when it boiled down to money, he just offered me the X-Men, ASMs and NM run and asked for a price. I made an offer and he accepted. Not much else I could do.

He's going to pull out his DCs, which is a ton of books and look at them. Then I'll go back and get more. I'll say this, of the Marvel stuff, I got most of the best stuff up front. The other stuff will be box fodder that I'll happily take but won't pay a ton as most of it is drek.

Swamp Thing #50 - 1st Justice League Dark

Peace,

Chip

Swamp Thing 49 is the first Justice League Dark.

The market sez otherwise. It's #50.

Peace,

Chip

That's because the "market" doesn't actually read the books. Its new money in the hobby that follows internet speculation, even when its false. The members are recruited in issue 49. They come together and acquire a base of operations and everything. The entire issue is dedicated to the creation of the group. Constantine recruits all of the earth-bound members, everyone from Zatanna to Baron Winters, while Swamp Thing spends time recruiting everyone who resides beyond the land of the living - Spectre, Demon, Deadman, etc.At the end of the issue everyone gets together in Baron Winter's house. There isn't even an argument to be made here. Swamp Thing 50 is the first JLD cover and an "end" to the story, nothing more. You can blame investcomics, the CBSI google group, etc for the dissemination of misinformation regarding this book and several others.

Peace,

Chip

Peace,

Chip

That's because the "market" doesn't actually read the books. Its new money in the hobby that follows internet speculation, even when its false. The members are recruited in issue 49. They come together and acquire a base of operations and everything. The entire issue is dedicated to the creation of the group. Constantine recruits all of the earth-bound members, everyone from Zatanna to Baron Winters, while Swamp Thing spends time recruiting everyone who resides beyond the land of the living - Spectre, Demon, Deadman, etc.At the end of the issue everyone gets together in Baron Winter's house. There isn't even an argument to be made here. Swamp Thing 50 is the first JLD cover and an "end" to the story, nothing more. You can blame investcomics, the CBSI google group, etc for the dissemination of misinformation regarding this book and several others.

Either one (or both) are fine with me :grin:

uclzK0.jpg

f9Fc8g.jpg

Yes sell them as a pair, it works wonders.

If CGC ever decides to make a notation, those with issue 50 are going to be upset. Highly unlikely this ever happens though as the team is never referred to as Justice League Dark anyway.

Peace,

Chip

Peace,

Chip

Is this like the Teen Titans debate going on over BB 54/60?

If CGC ever decides to make a notation, those with issue 50 are going to be upset.

Why?

Why do people put so much stock in label notes that aren't even part of the service, and are only provided as a courtesy?

If CGC ever decides to make a notation, those with issue 50 are going to be upset.

Why?

Why do people put so much stock in label notes that aren't even part of the service, and are only provided as a courtesy?

Because a large segment of buyers purchase a book due to what is noted on the label because it serves as some sort of validation of their purchase? And because people are putting money into issue 50 simply because they were told its a first appearance when it isn't, so naturally they wouldn't be too happy to find out the truth.

And if a company is in the business of selling the comics community on accepting their grading standards, then the accompanying notes on graded books should be correct and consistent. If they aren't going to put all of their effort into getting it right, it shouldn't be a part of the final product. If you are cutting corners on the notes relevant to the issue, like first appearances and character deaths, then why would you expect your customer to accept the rest of the information, or even the grade for that matter, to be accurate?

Why?

Because a large segment of buyers purchase a book due to what is noted on the label because it serves as some sort of validation of their purchase?

Then they are doing it wrong.

And those were rhetorical questions.

And because people are putting money into issue 50 simply because they were told its a first appearance when it isn't, so naturally they wouldn't be too happy to find out the truth.

I think gold is selling for $5,000 an ounce, but I'll sell you mine for $1800. A steal, right?

After all...I told you it's worth $5,000, and I have a pretty good reputation on these boards and elsewhere for knowing my stuff.

The fact that people are "putting money into issue 50" without knowing what the book actually IS is the entire problem in a nutshell.

How about they "find out the truth" about the situation PRIOR TO "putting money into" something...?

I know, CRAZY talk!

:ohnoez:

And if a company is in the business of selling the comics community on accepting their grading standards, then the accompanying notes on graded books should be correct and consistent.

Except they're not part of the service, and are provided as a courtesy.

Things that are provided as a courtesy need not be accurate. They're free. They are worth what you paid for them.

If they aren't going to put all of their effort into getting it right, it shouldn't be a part of the final product.

What makes you think they aren't "putting in all of their effort into getting it right"...?

Whether something is correct or not has absolutely no bearing on the amount of effort exerted to make it correct. If someone doesn't get all the answers right on a test, does that mean they didn't exert all their effort into doing so...?

If you are cutting corners on the notes relevant to the issue, like first appearances and character deaths, then why would you expect your customer to accept the rest of the information, or even the grade for that matter, to be accurate?

Because you are paying for the grade. You are NOT paying for the label notes.

That is what "they are provided as a COURTESY" means.

If a Batman#428 and #427 are accidentally switched in QC, and end up with their respective labels, am I going to believe what the label says...? Or am I going to use the information available to me...in this case, what my eyeballs can plainly see...and figure out that just because the label says "Batman #427" it's obviously a Batman #428 in the case...? My own mother, who knows nothing about comics, would know that the label and the comic aren't on the same page.

Or do we just ignore the evidence in front of our eyes and say "Well, that's what the label says, and CGC is paid to make that label, so they clearly must know what they're doing, so that must be a Batman #427 in that case"...?

I mean, really, at what point does common sense and research come into play, here?

You folks and your insistence on the accuracy of these label notes should probably get used to the fact that A. they're provided free of charge, as CGC sees fit, and should be viewed as worth what you paid for them; B. if you keep complaining about them, CGC's solution is simple: stop including them altogether, and C. you need to educate yourselves and stop relying on a third party to tell you what you should already know, or can easily find out, about a particular issue. This isn't subjective information, like a grade, or not-so-obvious information, like restoration, that applies to the specific copy before you. This is factual information, true about every single copy of that issue printed, readily available from many sources, at the touch of a finger.

If everyone does "C", the problem is solved, and no one has cause to be upset.

Simple.

:popcorn:

A

Peace,

Chip

Peace,

Chip

Boy, why do people get such a hard on for that? Haha, it was there that I first learned that 49 & 50 were the story. I personally have more 49's than 50. Oh well...