• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchasing a Copper/Modern collection (photos now added)

144 posts in this topic

OK, this is a bit silly.

So, every listing for any comic that has a questionable designation by "the market" should also have a big disclaimer with it?

IE. I am selling X-Force 2, I need to put in a paragraph how this is the market's accepted 2nd appearance, but, in reality there is some debate about XF 1 being it, since there's a pin-up and a card?

There are literally hundreds of these debates that will never be settled, I think it's crazy to expect every seller to give a history lesson for each comic they sell on ebay.

What about Batman Adventures 12, should that be listed with every "non-continuity" comic along side it, and with a story about what the 1st "in continuity" appearance is.

Maybe I should also define continuity, esp since the new 52 has shaken that up as well?

It depends on the book. These two Swamp Thing issues don't involve your typical first appearance discussion where it comes down to the length of the appearance, dialogue, the number of panels the character appears in, etc. Its not a cameo vs first full appearance argument. There is no gray area here.

If you want to argue about a first appearance as long as you have some rationale behind your argument that gives it some sort of legitimacy then I don't have a problem with that. If you want argue Avengers 54 vs 55 for example, I don't take issue with you claiming either of those as the first appearance of Ultron.

But that isn't what is happening in this case. The entire plot of issue 49 is the recruitment of the team, with them coming together at the end of the issue and beginning their journey against the great darkness. The only thing that issue 50 has going for it is that it is the first cover appearance.

So yes if people continue to make the claim that issue 50 is the first appearance in a public forum I am going to call them out for it, because it isn't correct and its encouraging others to buy into something based on bad information.

There's always a gray area . . . you, yourself, said the team wasn't named until ST 50. :baiting:

There's some nice stuff in there. But the day Legends 3 and Suicide Squad 1 are actually considered "keys" is probably the day I will burn every copper age book in my collection as a sign of protest. lol

-J.

$9.8's of Legends #3 have been selling for $300 lately.

What's the address where the collection burning will take place? I need to get my camera ready.

:baiting:

lol

I was gonna say, he best get to burning.

He doesn't think Web of Spidery #118 is a key either :gossip:

Jim

There's some nice stuff in there. But the day Legends 3 and Suicide Squad 1 are actually considered "keys" is probably the day I will burn every copper age book in my collection as a sign of protest. lol

-J.

What's the address where the collection burning will take place? I need to get my camera ready.

lol

Jim

lol I love people who stick their head in the sand.

FYI, I don't think ASM #300 is a key...if I repeat it enough to myself maybe I'll start to believe it :insane:

FYI, I don't think ASM #300 is a key...if I repeat it enough to myself maybe I'll start to believe it :insane:

Good....send me all your copies for $5 (and I'm overpaying for your drek!)

I traded them all for Thor #412's :sorry:

Good....send me all your copies for $5 (and I'm overpaying for your drek!)

I traded them all for Thor #412's :sorry:

Man...and to think, I traded all my Thor #412's for Swamp Thing 50's

-J.

lol

Jim

A simple movie announcement with an unconfirmed roster of characters does not a "key" make.

A speculation book it makes.

But not a "key".

Web 118 is not a "key" either.

We really need to stop bandying that term about so loosely, lest it will come to mean nothing.

:devil:

-J.

There's always a gray area . . . you, yourself, said the team wasn't named until ST 50. :baiting:

I did? Where? The team wasn't named in either issue. I mentioned in a previous post that the team wasn't actually labeled Justice League Dark until the new 52 series.

Jim

A simple movie announcement with an unconfirmed roster of characters does not a "key" make.

A speculation book it makes.

But not a "key".

Web 118 is not a "key" either.

We really need to stop bandying that term about so loosely, lest it will come to mean nothing.

:devil:

-J.

I don't know what the definition of a "key" is anymore, but issues 118 and 119 of Web of Spider-Man move very quickly on eBay. So if you can pick up a copy or two or twenty for pennies on the dollar then its a good idea if you think selling a book from 15-25 dollars is worth your time.

I don't know what the definition of a "key" is anymore, but issues 118 and 119 of Web of Spider-Man move very quickly on eBay. So if you can pick up a copy or two or twenty for pennies on the dollar then its a good idea if you think selling a book from 15-25 dollars is worth your time.

When you search a certain book on eBay setting your search criteria with Price + Shipping: lowest first, and the first one to appear is the said book as a magnet or poster - Its a key!

When you search a certain book on eBay setting your search criteria with Price + Shipping: lowest first, and the first one to appear is the said book as a magnet or poster - Its a key!

(thumbs u

I like the way you think. lol

-J.

I actually have -(poster,magnet,figure) added to the end up my search terms whenever I look for a book on eBay.

Please Chip I have nothing against you,except that you are truly a person that's trying to run a business,yet have no idea what you are doing.Educate yourself,understand your business model and live it.Most importantly always do what's right for your customers. 2c

Seriously? You know absolutely NOTHING about what I'm doing, how I treat my customers or anything about my business model.

I support my family with my business, my customers are all very very happy with me, and my business grows larger every month because of my excellent customer service. Period.

I'm certainly not claiming to be perfect, but to say I don't know what I'm doing? My results give a different view than your sideline reporting.

Peace,

Chip

Boy, why do people get such a hard on for that? Haha, it was there that I first learned that 49 & 50 were the story. I personally have more 49's than 50. Oh well...

Disseminating false information, either intentionally or out of ignorance, and using it to make money off of others, yes why would that bother people?

There's an easy fix to that: educate yourself, and no one can make money off of you using bad information.

Joe, a buyers ignorance does not absolve the seller of his ethical responsibility to be truthful. To me as a seller, uneducated buyers can be a problem but unethical sellers are a much greater problem and can cause instability across the market. It is sellers like this that contributed to my exit from the hobby for twenty odd years, and it was ethical dealers that brought me back in. Ethical dealers must stand up to the unethical or they risk the stability of the market. If we want the market to be around another 30 years, we need to ensure that the corrupt actions of a few don't stain the hobby as a whole.

All true, and nothing I haven't said many times, in many places. I disagree with nothing you've said, and don't believe I've implied contrary.

However...

The fact remains: educate yourself, and no one can make money off of you using bad information.

You have no control over anyone but you. You can't force someone to be ethical. There will always be scumbags and thieves preying on the ignorant.

The best defense...the ONLY defense...against this is to not be ignorant.

On this issue of JLD precursor issues, it seems somewhat analogous to the Defenders try-out issues in the Sub-Mariner series. It was some of the same guys, some of the same dynamic, but not really the Defenders. I don't think it is necessarily "wrong" for ST 49-50 to be acknowledged as some kind of precursor to JLD. ultimately, the market will settle in of its own accord. For me, it is a long putt to put this in the category of "unethical" more like "puffing."