• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchasing a Copper/Modern collection (photos now added)

144 posts in this topic

Boy, why do people get such a hard on for that? Haha, it was there that I first learned that 49 & 50 were the story. I personally have more 49's than 50. Oh well...

Disseminating false information, either intentionally or out of ignorance, and using it to make money off of others, yes why would that bother people?

There's an easy fix to that: educate yourself, and no one can make money off of you using bad information.

Joe, a buyers ignorance does not absolve the seller of his ethical responsibility to be truthful. To me as a seller, uneducated buyers can be a problem but unethical sellers are a much greater problem and can cause instability across the market. It is sellers like this that contributed to my exit from the hobby for twenty odd years, and it was ethical dealers that brought me back in. Ethical dealers must stand up to the unethical or they risk the stability of the market. If we want the market to be around another 30 years, we need to ensure that the corrupt actions of a few don't stain the hobby as a whole.

All true, and nothing I haven't said many times, in many places. I disagree with nothing you've said, and don't believe I've implied contrary.

However...

The fact remains: educate yourself, and no one can make money off of you using bad information.

You have no control over anyone but you. You can't force someone to be ethical. There will always be scumbags and thieves preying on the ignorant.

The best defense...the ONLY defense...against this is to not be ignorant.

We agree (thumbs u I can't stop the scumbags, but I try to call them out when I can.

What happened :popcorn:

Some a-holes fighting with other a-holes in a thread started by an A-Hole..... over Swamp Thing books..

I'm going to conduct a poll as to who cares. Apparently the poll ended in a landslide with 100% NOT caring

Edited

Some a-holes fighting with other a-holes in a thread started by an A-Hole..... over Swamp Thing books..

I'm going to conduct a poll as to who cares. Apparently the poll ended in a landslide with 100% NOT caring

Edited

Well that does it Pat. You're now either a troll or part of "the clique".

:sorry:

Edited

I dont get it. But I really thought Brock would make it through the thread without being a jerk. Whos the sucker now.. :(

Edited

I dont get it. But I really thought Brock would make it through the thread without being a jerk. Whos the sucker now.. :(

Clearly my fault derailing this thread....gosh, if I could have just created a thread asking for the unknown copper/modern books that are heating up. What a thread that would have been... :idea:

Oh wait :doh:

The thread wasn't really legitimate, you could have done a quick search of copper age keys and had your answer.

(thumbs u

I'll keep that in mind next time. B/c clearly its a bother to those who frequent the internet to ask a question when SURPRISE, I don't know the answer.

But yes...Google is my friend.

:eyeroll:

The thread wasn't really legitimate, you could have done a quick search of copper age keys and had your answer.

1. I don't understand people, who are supposedly at least part-time dealers, posting a thread for others to help said dealer with deciding what's worth cherry picking. Isn't that your expertise?

2. I SURE don't understand when people jump in to help same dealer with developing such a list. Information is valuable. You know why you don't see BA #12 or NM #98 in $1 boxes anymore? Information. It's been disseminated.

To expect others to do your work for you is bad enough. For others to agree to do it for you for free, is crazier still. Either that, or this is another in a long line of thinly disguised sales thread by people.

It's funny...there has been more real world contribution to this "community" by those who have willingly shared information and experience that was hard earned, than all the birthday threads, get well threads, charity threads, and BST threads combined.

People have actually made actual money...and avoided losing actual money...by the information freely shared here...people have had their knowledge bases expanded tremendously, without having to glean such information from direct experience or having to search many different places to gather it.

And yet, that type of contribution is utterly ignored as "contribution" in favor of meaningless platitudes, internet high fives, commerce, and "look what a good guy/gal I am by publicly giving to someone else's need!"

And it's disregarded as contribution from the top all the way down.

It's an amazing thing. Not surprising...just pretty amazing.

I love the threads, like discussing what's heating up and selling well. I like the threads discussing multiple printings and scarcity of certain books, discussing books difficult to find in grade. There has always been so much to learn here. But the lazy people and jerks just hurt us. I may not get along with everyone, but I have always tried to contribute to the community.

I love the threads, like discussing what's heating up and selling well. I like the threads discussing multiple printings and scarcity of certain books, discussing books difficult to find in grade. There has always been so much to learn here. But the lazy people and jerks just hurt us. I may not get along with everyone, but I have always tried to contribute to the community.

So you believe that this thread was complete waste of time? That nothing was learned from it?

If that's the case, you should find another thread to post in. I certainly have received good info. And if you wanna call me lazy, go ahead.

So you believe that this thread was complete waste of time? That nothing was learned from it?

If that's the case, you should find another thread to post in. I certainly have received good info. And if you wanna call me lazy, go ahead.

He didn't call you lazy,he was being general...You're lazy! There, now someone called you lazy!

I found the info regarding swamp thing 49 useful, I didn't know that myself. I also learned about more slimy dealers on this site and will continue to strive at never being considered one. Stop making everything about you. You can start a thread, but it may or may not revolve around the original topic. We are talking, not necessarily about you.

He didn't call you lazy,he was being general...You're lazy! There, now someone called you lazy!

I'm happy! ^^