• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Family 1 - First Black Adam

27 posts in this topic

I love the Black Adam character and started doing my research on his history and complete storyline. I naively started looking for Marvel Family 1 only to find out this is one very difficult comic to find in any grade.

I would love to get some feedback from boardies on why this particular issue is so tough to find, any stories of success, and maybe even some sweet pics of your copy. I am mainly a Silver Age collector so my knowledge of Golden is very limited. Thanks in advance.

My impression is that it wasn't that tough to find, or particularly expensive a few years ago, but that speculation has not only driven up the price, but held copies off the market with anticipation of further price gains in the immediate future.

Also, if your frame of reference is collecting SA books, most GA will seem tougher to locate in comparison. Locating some of the truly scarce books in any grade can be as difficult as finding 9.2 or better copies of early SA.

I would love to get some feedback from boardies on why this particular issue is so tough to find

It may be tough to find right now, but only because you haven't found one yet. It is actually a relatively common golden age comic. I have had and sold at least ten copies of it in the last twenty years. It was a tough book to sell for the longest time. Who knew that Black Adam would become a sought after first appearance?

And 10 copies in 20 years is not a lot!

So true. I have probably had 13 Spawn 1s in the same time frame.

Here's mine. I agree with the other boardies, this was not a difficult book to pick up 12 months ago (when i snagged mine) but now everyone appears to want it. It's driving up the price and people are probably holding on to theirs until the movie gets closer

IMG_0316_zps95e2c8bf.jpg

There is a steep learning curve for the the Golden Age so I appreciate the feedback. I am hoping to pick up a copy of MF 1 but at a reasonable price so that ship may have sailed for now. The comic book market and the influence of movie news is incredible that the market can dry up so quickly in such a short period of time. If you go on eBay right now there is usually only one (or none) copy of MF 1 at any give time versus a hot Silver Age title like AF 15 or Hulk 1 which although expensive can be found relatively easily.

More pics of MF 1 please. It is great to see such high quality copies when I have only seen some rough beaters on eBay.

There is a steep learning curve for the the Golden Age so I appreciate the feedback. I am hoping to pick up a copy of MF 1 but at a reasonable price so that ship may have sailed for now. The comic book market and the influence of movie news is incredible that the market can dry up so quickly in such a short period of time. If you go on eBay right now there is usually only one (or none) copy of MF 1 at any give time versus a hot Silver Age title like AF 15 or Hulk 1 which although expensive can be found relatively easily.

More pics of MF 1 please. It is great to see such high quality copies when I have only seen some rough beaters on eBay.

This was one I remember being thrilled to find on the newsstand and as you can see

by it's "beater" status, I read it over and over again...and it's still one of my favorites.

14222631996_72d035536c.jpg

mm

My impression is that it wasn't that tough to find, or particularly expensive a few years ago, but that speculation has not only driven up the price, but held copies off the market with anticipation of further price gains in the immediate future.

Also, if your frame of reference is collecting SA books, most GA will seem tougher to locate in comparison. Locating some of the truly scarce books in any grade can be as difficult as finding 9.2 or better copies of early SA.

(thumbs u

Yep, it was easy to find and hard to sell for the past 35 years. Not anymore.

This was one I remember being thrilled to find on the newsstand and as you can see

by it's "beater" status, I read it over and over again...

:applause:

THANKS!

mm