• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMG! I just found heaven in Los Angeles - a warehouse filled with back issues

37 posts in this topic

I have visited many of the comic book stores in Los Angeles, my area, but I don't like anyone of them in particular. Most of them are similar: they have new issues and just a bunch of old issues. Few of them are great: House of Secrets is a good example.

But today I found heaven. I was in Canoga Park with my wife to buy some furnitures and I checked on Yelp to see whether there was any comic book store that I had not visited yet. I found Speros' Heroes and I could not believe to my eyes when I checked the photos on Yelp.

I told my wife: "I have to go there now. I know you don't like comics. I will just enter the place, check that it's really how it appears in photo and I will then come back one of the next days and spend the whole day there".

Well...the photos were correct. This place is located inside a huge warehouse. Nothing fancy. The place is FILLED with long boxes...there are at least five or six rooms filled from top to bottom. One of these rooms is their fancy one, where they expose key issues (Golden, Silver, Bronze, etc.) and where they have several long boxes of some of the leading series. Comics in these boxes are well organized, all bagged and boarded, graded and priced accordingly.

All the other rooms have long boxes organized by publisher and character. All the comics in these rooms are $0.50 each! Unbelievable!

I have never seen so many back issues in one single place in my life. I am sure guys such as Chuck Rozanski have many many many more but these guys are the real deal in the Los Angeles area.

Also, the owners are super super nice. There is a youngish guy, very passionate about Spider-Man. There is also an older guy, super nice and very interested in giving to each customers the best deal they can (I forgot to mention, the also give you additional discounts when you go to the cashier to pay).

An unbelievable place, a pure gem! Highly recommended.

Here are some photos taken by other Yelp users.

UNy5XeO.jpg

opjN0y2.jpg

naKxebK.jpg

ig1T1dE.jpg

http://www.yelp.com/biz/speros-heroes-canoga-park?sort_by=date_desc

Cool, I'll have to check it out. But I've been to House of Secrets, and I wasn't impressed. Plus I've heard they don't take care of their customers from reliable boardies.

I read similar comments on Yelp about House of Secrets (which, by purpose of clarity, is not the store I am talking about in this thread). The one time I went to HOS, a girl was managing the store and she was very nice.

If I gave a want list could somebody check this place out for me? hm

It seems like they will check your list for you, if you send it via email. If not, I can help you next time I am there.

Cool, I'll have to check it out. But I've been to House of Secrets, and I wasn't impressed. Plus I've heard they don't take care of their customers from reliable boardies.

I read similar comments on Yelp about House of Secrets (which, by purpose of clarity, is not the store I am talking about in this thread). The one time I went to HOS, a girl was managing the store and she was very nice.

HoS is geat, they are helpful and friendly and I've scored some good deals on GA/SA books there. They have a 20% discount on everything including back issues. Ignore the Yelp whiners.

I've never been to the Canoga park shop, will have to check it out sometime.

HoS is geat, they are helpful and friendly and I've scored some good deals on GA/SA books there. They have a 20% discount on everything including back issues. Ignore the Yelp whiners.

I've never been to the Canoga park shop, will have to check it out sometime.

HOS has been a dumping ground for "problem books" for a long time.

They don't care about resto, or pages missing, stuff like that.

Several years ago, when I pointed out to Eric (one of the owners?/manager, with Paul) that a Justice League of America #2 was missing a page, and was priced at $400, he shrugged and didn't do anything about it.

I bought an Avengers #1 from them in 2010...had married pages.

:cry:

great west coast find guys..

here are the non private big east coast secret stashes:

Ontario Street Market in Philadelphia

New Dimensions in Ellwood city (Pittsburgh)

Most people still don't know Ontario Street Market is a comic shop especially the out of towners and tourists, same with garden of earthly delights in Philly.

So Cal is so unbelievably filled with collectors over here it's so tough to find good deals unless you're making it your #1 priority.

I'd bet good money a ton of board members have already seen that location or know about it. I saw it on CL a while back but never hit it up.