• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,408 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

What’s the socio message of the movie? 

There are several.  The spoiler tag below lists concepts and nothing truly  spoilerish, but better safe than sorry.  Tagged as a spoiler in case anyone wants to go in knowing absolutely nothing about the movie.

Spoiler

Oppression.  Immigration/Borders.  Power/Responsibility.

Went to see the film and for once in a long time I actually was emersed in the movie.  I was routing for characters during certain scenes and found a couple of comedic moments.   All the negative reviews come from those that do not want to see this movie succeed because of certain prejudices.

The film was not Dark Knight level (my all time fave superhero film), but was very solid.  This is a film worth paying the price of admission.  

On 2/14/2018 at 1:34 PM, Gatsby77 said:

On the one hand, it's got a $200 million budget.

On the other hand, this might do Passion of the Christ -style business.

I liked the analysis in (I believe) the LA Times article -- noted that while we've seen black superheroes before (Blade, Hancock) -- the characters were incidentally black.

Not culturally African, let alone a joyous celebration of African political and technological prowess.

Guarantee this does more than Justice League's $229 million domestic.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:37 PM, paperheart said:

by Fri 2/23 ?

by Wed 2/21?

‘Black Panther’ Poised To Slash ‘Avengers: Age Of Ultron’ 4-Day Haul With $216M

By the time the four-day President’s Day holiday stretch ends, Black Panther will have surpassed many of Marvel’s mightiest on the all-time domestic B.O. openers chart. Black Panther is now looking at the 6th best opening of all-time on a 3-day-basis with an estimated $187.6M per industry projections and a mind-blowing $216M over four days.

How much do moviegoers love Black Panther? The Ryan Coogler-directed movie earned an A+ CinemaScore tonight, Marvel’s second after 2012’s The Avengers. 

On the 3-day all-time chart, Black Panther is just above Captain America: Civil War ($179.1M). Back in January Fandango reported that out of the gate in its first 24 hours, Black Panther outstripped the advance tickets sales of Civil War, however, analysts didn’t rush to comp the Wakanda superhero to Marvel’s other titles. They just couldn’t believe at the time how massive this was going to be. While Black Panther is under Avengers: Age of Ultron on the 3-day all-time openers list  ($191.2M), the pic is beating the sequel’s four-day run ($204.4M). Black Panther has already left Disney’s Beauty and the Beast ($174.7M) and WB/DC’s Batman v. Superman ($166M) in the dust to become the biggest pre-summer opener of all-time.

Black Panther is now at $76.6M for Friday. Thursday’s previews of $25.2M rep 33% of Friday’s ticket sales. Similar to a Star Wars title, Black Panther was a big pre-planned event for many this weekend, with Fandango advance ticket sales driving 36% of Thursday’s preview figure or $9M. 

This is all sounding massively successful.

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Where it sits as of last night.

h1oFWrD.jpg

Love that chart.

But your budget for Guardians of the Galaxy is still inflated by over 15%.

Box Office Mojo -- and all other reputable sources -- have it at $200 million.

Why, you ask?

The very Forbes article you use to claim a "$232 million budget" also notes that by filming in the UK, "Britain’s tax authority H.M. Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has handed Disney a total of $36.4 million for Guardians of the Galaxy alone."

$232 million - $36.4 million = $195.6 million (or ~"$200 million"). 

10 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Love that chart.

Why, you ask?

The very Forbes article you use to claim a "$232 million budget" also notes that by filming in the UK, "Britain’s tax authority H.M. Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has handed Disney a total of $36.4 million for Guardians of the Galaxy alone."

You may have misread the details shared in that very article you just quoted.

According to the British Film Institute (BFI), the film tax relief costs the government around $238.3 million (£150 million) annually but in terms of Gross Domestic Product it contributes $19 (£12) for every $1.6 (£1) spent.

It was not talking about the $232M production budget, but rather what was out-of-pocket for the local economy.

It is interesting to read how aggressive Britain has gone after studio business, at the cost of local productions not benefiting from filming in the area.

In November 2013 Edgar Wright, the director of British movies Hot Fuzz and The World’s End, said that “while the tax break is good for Hollywood films shooting here, it’s probably not that great for British films shooting in the UK. Some middle-to-low budget films are going to find themselves without crew because all the American films are shooting here.”

Edited by Bosco685

26 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Love that chart.

Why, you ask?

And let's not forget, if we were calculating PROFIT then all expenses including Tax Breaks would be factored out. None of those movies in my charts have had Tax Relief factored out.

Do you have all the other Tax Breaks assigned to all movies tracked between DC and Marvel? Justice League was filmed in the UK, as were portions of Wonder Woman.

Edited by Bosco685

Amazing!

Marvel continues to bring comic book movies to a higher level!

Black Panther: How a Marvel Movie Became One of 2018's Most Revolutionary Films.

http://www.eonline.com/news/914235/black-panther-how-a-marvel-movie-became-one-of-2018-s-most-revolutionary-films

Can a movie spark a revolution?

Motion pictures can do a lot of things. They can move us to tears, force us to rethink our perspective on the world, even introduce us to corners of the world we never knew existed. But can they truly be a revolutionary force for change? It's a lot to ask of a film, knowing that, regardless of all the passion and feeling behind them, they're still the byproduct of a multi-billion dollar commercial industry. After all, what's the one thing most, if not all, successful industries try to avoid? Revolution.

But that's the question being posed right now as Marvel's latest comic book adaptation, Black Panther, roars its way into theaters around the world. And the answer for many, when it comes to this very movie, is a resounding yes. It can. In fact, in its own way, it already has.

5 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I kindly remind you. Why are we still talking about that movie? It is done. Not many people care about it anymore. Move on. This is the Black Panther thread.

:flamed:

Excuse there limpy, but he referenced an item on my chart that I responded to. No need for you to worry.

Hate to be the first but it was probably my least favorite Marvel movie, no sorry that’s Iron Man 3.  I think I went in with really high expectations with all the reviews and probably about halfway through was thinking, when is this going to get better.  Same feeling I got from The Last Jedi.

After the movie my partner mentioned they almost feel asleep twice.  I don’t know, the visuals were awesome, cast was great, with the exception of Agent Ross.  He just seemed out of place and weak comedic relief.   Didn’t like the ending, would have been better to have Jordan’s character still in the MCU.

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am not worried,but let go of the Justice League/BvS. They are at a level of King Kong Skull Island. No need to keep vigilantly defending them.

For the fellow that kept bringing up DC movies in this thread, you sure are worried about what others post. Curb yourself before worrying about others.

And if you are going to tell lies (I vigilantly defended Justice League), it's going to catch up. Where did I do this in saying it was a better film than it was? Or has your nose grown too large to see past?

9 minutes ago, NUNYABZ said:

Hate to be the first but it was probably my least favorite Marvel movie, no sorry that’s Iron Man 3.  I think I went in with really high expectations with all the reviews and probably about halfway through was thinking, when is this going to get better.  Same feeling I got from The Last Jedi.

After the movie my partner mentioned they almost feel asleep twice.  I don’t know, the visuals were awesome, cast was great, with the exception of Agent Ross.  He just seemed out of place and weak comedic relief.   Didn’t like the ending, would have been better to have Jordan’s character still in the MCU.

Did the credit scenes at least bring you some excitement?

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think you have issues.

Not worth wasting time debating about anymore.

You have fun now.

I don't THINK you have issues. I KNOW you have issues, since you were the one that kept bringing up a topic.

Find the positive in your own accomplishments. Don't try and live through Marvel's accomplishments.

:foryou: