• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1 staple lose from the front cover, green label?

14 posts in this topic

They occur regularly in lower graded blue labels ...... not sure where the exact cut off would be...... your copy is a serious contender for a green. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

They occur regularly in lower graded blue labels ...... not sure where the exact cut off would be...... your copy is a serious contender for a green. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It makes sense that a lower graded copy would retain a blue label. As a matter of fact I now remember a 7.0 with a detached staple noted in the notes. However, I don't think they would consider it at the 9.4 level. To be honest, I don't think anyone but CGC could specifically answer your question. If you really want to find out you will have to submit it. I'm guessing green all the way. Sorry.

If I submit it for SS, what is the highest grade I can achieve for the book, assuming without the defect it is a solid NM? And thank you all for the info, very helpful.

I just don't think anyone here can definitively answer that question. If you want a guess, I would say it's possible a 9.4 with a popped staple could garner an 8.5, however, I don't know if they will give you a blue label. You really need to ask CGC.

Theoretically, couldn't one replace the staple and some tear seals and get a yellow/purple label?

You need to find a reading copy. Take the staple out of it and install it into the higher grade copy with extreme care. Probably it won't get the restoration label. Make sure both staples have the same color.

Theoretically, couldn't one replace the staple and some tear seals and get a yellow/purple label?

You need to find a reading copy. Take the staple out of it and install it into the higher grade copy with extreme care. Probably it won't get the restoration label. Make sure both staples have the same color.

It's nice to see our thoughts and ideas are centered on how to game the system. Even if successful, I don't see how replacing the staple solves anything. If the cover is detached, it's a problem with the cover, not the staple.

It's nice to see our thoughts and ideas are centered on how to game the system. Even if successful, I don't see how replacing the staple solves anything. If the cover is detached, it's a problem with the cover, not the staple.

+1, this is what I am thinking, the staple lose from the front cover so it left an empty line at the bottom staple, doubt replacing staple do any good. I saw someone posted that they get 9.4 qualified grade for missing staple just past week so look like my copy can be in the same camp.

Would you rather have it Green Label at 9.4 or Yellow label at 7.5 or keep it raw? I am not collecting the title, just to see which route is most reasonable cost to salvage it.

Why is the staple missing? Is there a pullthru tear on the cover where it was?

Perhaps when it was being bound and stapled the stapler ran out of staples? If this is the case then there wont be holes in the centerfold. CGC would see this and then maybe you could get a 9.4

Bottom staple completely lose from front cover, will I get Green Label for this? If not, how many grades will be deducted if this is a NM-/NM book without staple defect?Thank you all!

CCF10302014_00001264x1800_zpsb2b6d21b.jpg

Just got one back yesterday that looks almost identical tot his book.

9.4 Qualified.

Thank you everyone!

Here is the reply from CGC:

"Any book that has a popped staple will be either downgraded or qualified, even if a large number of copies suffer from this defect.

For a popped staple, CGC will typically qualify the book if the grade is otherwise 8.5 or higher.

If the book is otherwise lower than 8.5 (or Signature Series or restored), the popped staple will be factored into the grade."

Then I ask if I get it signed, what the maximum estimated grade I can get, here is the reply:

"In most instances, the highest a book with a popped staple can grade (without being qualified) is 6.5"

Hope the info help all that in the similar situation. I guess staying Green 9.4 is better than 6.5 Blue or Yellow, the cost is not justified for the Yellow label.