• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 40 Copper in Overstreet

125 posts in this topic

NinjaSealed, would you bump one of the other Batman books in favour of #357, or add it to the existing list?

For the Batman books I would add #357 and change #426 to #428 which is the more "key" issue of the storyline. I also don't know if #404 really needs to be there.

Also three more must books I would put on that list:

TMNT #2

The Killing Joke

Wolverine #1

I think these could potential come off.

Superman #423

DCP #47

UXM 282

NM Annual 2

X-Factor #24

Vampirella #113

I would suggest adding the following as well:

Batman #357 and #428 (dump #426) as suggest by ninjasealed

Batman DKR #1

G.I. Joe #1

Harbinger #1 (started the Valiant rage)

New Teen Titans #2

Transformers #1

Thor #337

UXM #221, 281

Watchmen #1

As far as books to drop:

ASM #298 - this is not a Copper key IMHO

Batman #404 - great story, but not a bigger key

DC Comics Presents #47 - high price tag, but not much of a key

Vampi #113 - if it did not have a low print run would anyone care?

Supes #423 - not a key issue

Swamp Thing #20 - not a really key issue

UXM #282 - not a really key issue

Thanks, Crimebuster...

I like these suggestions, but I'd be interested in what others think... Are these a little too "niche"?

My first reaction was to agree completely with Starslayer #2, but then I thought that's probably because I' a massive Dave Stevens fan. And while I think Stevens books are (slowly) heating up, I'm not sure the first Rocketeer is an age-shaping key.

What do others think about these books? Or do existing books on the list have the same issues, like the first Crow or first Hellboy appearances?

Uncanny 282 off for sure. I have recently passed on this at $1.

In regards to "niche" books. I feel that is really what collectors are striving for now. Why is Bone on the list? It's a more recognized niche book really. TMNT, niche. Crow, niche. Low print runs? Yes = desired (supply/demand)

I don't know about X-Men #221. As of now I don't think it should be on the list. It's important, but not necessarily that sought after still. Sometimes copies are just in bins for the same $3 price as the surrounding Uncanny issues.

I would have to disagree with you. 9.8 copies fetch for more than $200. If you can find me 10 copies at $3. I will gladly pay you $5 each so you make a profit. :wishluck::foryou:

I don't know about X-Men #221. As of now I don't think it should be on the list. It's important, but not necessarily that sought after still. Sometimes copies are just in bins for the same $3 price as the surrounding Uncanny issues.

I would have to disagree with you. 9.8 copies fetch for more than $200. If you can find me 10 copies at $3. I will gladly pay you $5 each so you make a profit. :wishluck::foryou:

I would say it's in the top 40 off the top of my head. I still buy them NM at under $10 though. It's more an underrated/valued book right now.

ASM #298 - this is not a Copper key IMHO

Sweet. Do you have any to sell...?

:whistle:

That's a tough call. Is the start of McFarlane's iconic Spider-Man run worthy of being in a list of the top 40 books of the entire copper age?? I really don't know. But if you had to pick one artistically influenced key I would think this would have to be it.

Thanks Kimik... I really like Thor 337, which seems to have really stormed back over the last year to me. I also like jsilverjanet's suggestion of ASM 238.

I can't decide on X-Men 221, though... This also seems to me to be heating up, but I'm not sure I'd make it "Top 40" yet. It seems to be generating some discussion here, so more thoughts welcome...

The Wolverine LS #1 suggested by vikingreed also makes sense to me, but not a lot of folks have picked up on that in subsequent posts... Does anyone disagree with this?

I also think the GI Joe, transformers and Harbinger suggestions are interesting, and would like to hear what others think.

I think the parameters for the years of this age should be adhered to. There are a couple on the list, as others have noted, that are actually moderns (eg, BA 12).

-J.

It's definitely debated, but the majority says Copper.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6536625#Post6536625

If we are going based on a straight 1992 cut off, then it isn't a copper age book.

If the cut off for CA is fuzzy, and there are other books from late 1993 that also qualify then who knows.. (shrug)

-J.

If we're allowing some fuzziness on the dates for the age range, it makes sense to me that new stuff would get bumped to the latter age whereas established books might belong to the former (unless it's a radical change in direction). For instance, maybe those Teen Titans books are Copper, while pretty pretty anything involving the creator-owned movement or what's adjacent to it (1st Hellboy, Youngblood, the new Valiant books) would be Modern (or an age between Copper and Modern; I think it's time one was established).

Also, this list really seems to be two lists mashed together. One group is mostly that are hard to find (especially in high grade), but that not a ton of people are looking for (most of the indies). The other group is relatively plentiful, but very important books for which the demand generally matches the supply (the Marvel and DC firsts).