• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 40 Copper in Overstreet

125 posts in this topic

ASM #298 - this is not a Copper key IMHO

Sweet. Do you have any to sell...?

:whistle:

That's a tough call. Is the start of McFarlane's iconic Spider-Man run worthy of being in a list of the top 40 books of the entire copper age?? I really don't know. But if you had to pick one artistically influenced key I would think this would have to be it.

I'd say this is probably the book which kicked off the hunt for the first works of artists that eventually led to the formation of Image, so it's pretty key. It may not be as popular as some of the other books McFarlane worked on that featured big characters (ASM 300, Hulk 340), but it's still important.

I also agree with Transformers 1 and GI Joe 1. Disagree with Harbinger 1, as it wasn't the first Valiant book and its importance continues to depreciate over time.

It was not the first Valiant book, but it was the book that started the original Valiant character franchise and established them as a company. Magnus and Solar were essentially new twists on pre-existing characters, but Harbinger was the start of the Valiant comic universe.

That being said, I agree with you that the book is waning in importance as my personal favorite from back in the day, X-O Manowar, is the top Valiant property. Conan in Iron Man armor = success. lol

It is essentially Valiant's FF #1 - it features the start of the "Valiant" super-hero universe but has been surpassed by a better character........

That's a tough call. Is the start of McFarlane's iconic Spider-Man run worthy of being in a list of the top 40 books of the entire copper age?? I really don't know. But if you had to pick one artistically influenced key I would think this would have to be it.

I'd say this is probably the book which kicked off the hunt for the first works of artists that eventually led to the formation of Image, so it's pretty key. It may not be as popular as some of the other books McFarlane worked on that featured big characters (ASM 300, Hulk 340), but it's still important.

If you want to include McFarlane as an artist of note, then I would put down one of the Hulk issues (maybe #340?) instead of ASM #298 as you could clearly see the McFarlane style by #340 and they pre-date his work on ASM.

WRT start of Image, wouldn't Jim Lee be just as important? That would mean adding Alpha Flight #51 or UXM #248 to the list, and neither one belongs there IMHO.

To everyone

What about sandman 50 black cover (variant?) edition?

i remember buying it in the 90's because i couldn't find the regular edition.

always loved the cover...

does anyone knows the print run of it? any owners in the community for this specific issue?

regards

From the original list I'd drop these 12 books:

ASM 298, 361

Archie 320

Bats 368, 386, 404

BA 12

DC Comics Presents 47

Hulk 271

UXM 282

New Mutants Ann 2

Next Men #21

It's not that I don't think they are important, it's just I think these are more deserving:

ASM 238

Bats 357

Batman: Killing Joke

Batman DKR 1

Daredevil 181 (1982)

G.I. Joe 21

New Teen Titans #2

SDCC #2

Tick Special Edition #1

UXM 212

UXM 221

Watchmen 1

ASM 238: Hobgoblin is way more important than Carnage

Batman: Killing Joke: I don't see how this isn't on the list...

Daredevil 181 (1982): Again, I don't see how this isn't on the list.....

G.I. Joe 21: The silent issue #21 is more popular than #1 Raw or graded.

New Teen Titans #2: 1st Deathstroke. I know you said 1982, but I can't help but see this as Copper instead of bronze....

SDCC #2: This is considered the 1st Hellboy, not Next Men #21

UXM 212: This is the 1st Wolverine vs. Sabretooth comic published

I also think it's good to spread the love around instead of too many of 1 type of comic.

For example, the most important comic in the ASM McFarlane run is #300. So, 298 because of Venom and McFarlane seems overkill.

Likewise, Caliber Presents is the 1st appearance of The Crow. So I wouldn't put that book AND the Crow mini series.

It's why I didn't include TMNT #1 (2nd print) or TMNT #2 on my list. Both of which are more valuable than other books on this list.

Pick one Bats book from the Death in the Family storyline.

If you want to include McFarlane as an artist of note, then I would put down one of the Hulk issues (maybe #340?) instead of ASM #298 as you could clearly see the McFarlane style by #340 and they pre-date his work on ASM.

WRT start of Image, wouldn't Jim Lee be just as important? That would mean adding Alpha Flight #51 or UXM #248 to the list, and neither one belongs there IMHO.

Having grown up in the era, I can say that Alpha Flight #51 didn't seem to be particularly regarded amongst friends who followed comics. For a while, ASM 298 was the book to have. Even Hulk 340 didn't stand out so much immediately, although may now be more sought after than ASM 298. All comes down to the criteria of what makes a "top" book. In my mind, it's a combination of importance to the history of the characters, the history of comics as an industry, and the supply and demand. ASM seems to have been more of a key in the changes that led to Image than the other books.

ASM 298 definitely should be (stay) on the list. As others have pointed out, it's the book that really (that I can remember) kicked off the "artist 1st appearance" thing (yes, I am aware that he did other books, most notably Hulk), but his ASM run is what made him a superstar. He was the biggest artist of the late 80's. He's the #3 Spidey artist (after Ditko and Romita) and his influence on the character is still felt today.

It was the top McFarlane book for quite awhile before 300 (deservedly so) overtook it.

Someone else mentioned Sandman #8 and I'd agree with that as well.

DKR and Watchmen both need to be on the list. As does Swamp Thing #21. Much more important than #20.

UXM 210 may be a candidate. The first issue in what is considered the best X-men storyline.

The Mutant Massacre is considered the best X-Men storyline? Do you mean in Copper Age, or in general?

UXM 210 may be a candidate. The first issue in what is considered the best X-men storyline.

The Mutant Massacre is considered the best X-Men storyline? Do you mean in Copper Age, or in general?

I was thinking the same thing.

Days of Future Past (shrug)

ASM 298 definitely should be (stay) on the list. As others have pointed out, it's the book that really (that I can remember) kicked off the "artist 1st appearance" thing (yes, I am aware that he did other books, most notably Hulk), but his ASM run is what made him a superstar. He was the biggest artist of the late 80's. He's the #3 Spidey artist (after Ditko and Romita) and his influence on the character is still felt today.

It was the top McFarlane book for quite awhile before 300 (deservedly so) overtook it.

I always thought first artist 1st appearance on character was something that was sort of a fad - I remember also when 298 was worth more than 300 for awhile.

Prior first artist on character books like MTU 53 (Byrne X-men) and PPTSS 27 (Miller DD) were supposedly important books - I think 1st artist appearance in the run held value better (X 108/DD 158) but even they lost steam.

(shrug)

I always thought first artist 1st appearance on character was something that was sort of a fad - I remember also when 298 was worth more than 300 for awhile.

Prior first artist on character books like MTU 53 (Byrne X-men) and PPTSS 27 (Miller DD) were supposedly important books - I think 1st artist appearance in the run held value better (X 108/DD 158) but even they lost steam.

(shrug)

As a general rule, I agree with you (fad). I was even going to mention the Miller Peter Parker 27.

I think 298 is a bit different. I don't really have a good explanation as to why. It just "feels" different.

As I said, his influence on the character is bigger than all but 2 guys (and you might even be able to argue that, artistically, he was more influential to the character than even Romita). The book is almost 30 years old now and some of the McFarlane "trademarks" (the big "eyes", the web, the "spider" poses) are still evident.

He ushered in the artist as "rock star" era. And, if not for his success, Image may not have been formed. Obviously the other guys (Lee, Liefeld, etc..) were just as important to the Image founding. But his success and stardom on ASM is what jumpstarted the whole thing.