• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hierarchy of books

22 posts in this topic

So my wife and I were discussing Grails, namely how one of her grails would be Strange Tales 110. She commented how a grail (for me) is my ASM 121 and that got me thinking. Obviously ASM 121 is not on the same level as Strange Tales 110 for a variety of reasons, price, age, significance, etc. So I put the question to my fellow collectors and fans, what is the Hierarchy of Comic Books.

Goes without saying Action comics 1 is the top level. Is it alone, what about Detective 27, and Amazing Fantasy 15?

Let's see if we can collaborate and make, 5 tiers? Curious to see if we come to a consensus where books like ASM 129 and the newer books like NM 98 and Batman Adventures 12 fall on this list. What about a Ms. Marvel 1? Also what criteria is it to make a certain tier?

What are your thoughts?

I'll kick things off

Tier 1: Action 1, Detective 27

Tier 2: Amazing Fantasy 15, All Star 8 (Wonder Woman), Brave and Bold 28, Captain America 1

Tier 3: Hulk 181, Strange Tales 110, Incredible Hulk 1, Tales of Suspense 39, FF 1, ASM 1

Tier 4: ASM 121, NM 98, Batman Adventures 12

Tier 4:

I would hardly think F.F.1 and Hulk1 are third tier books.

Ok so then Tier 2? or are you putting them as tier 1 on the same platform as Action 1?

My opinion tier 1 are solely Action1 and Tec 27,Marvel Comics#1

Not to derail, but to avoid comparing apples to oranges, or simply to avoid categorizing by market value -- would it be better to group by Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper? :shy:

I don't think so. I mean a book like NM 98 can be ranked higher than older books like say a Dr. Strange 169? Age of the book shouldn't be a determining factor in my opinion....

Tier 2: Amazing Fantasy 15, All Star 8 (Wonder Woman), Captain America 1, Hulk 1, FF 1, Showcase 4

Tier 3: X-Men 1, Tales of Suspense 39, Journey into Mystery 83, Showcase 22, ASM 1, Daredevil 1, FF 5

Tier 4: Avengers 1, Hulk 181, Strange Tales 110, Brave and Bold 28, FF48, GSX1, TMNT 1

Tier 5: ASM 129, ASM 300, Walking Dead 1

Tier 6: ASM 121, NM 98, Batman Adventures 12, Saga RRP

I'll update as I think of more.

So my wife and I were discussing Grails, namely how one of her grails would be Strange Tales 110. She commented how a grail (for me) is my ASM 121 and that got me thinking. Obviously ASM 121 is not on the same level as Strange Tales 110 for a variety of reasons, price, age, significance, etc. So I put the question to my fellow collectors and fans, what is the Hierarchy of Comic Books.

Goes without saying Action comics 1 is the top level. Is it alone, what about Detective 27, and Amazing Fantasy 15?

Let's see if we can collaborate and make, 5 tiers? Curious to see if we come to a consensus where books like ASM 129 and the newer books like NM 98 and Batman Adventures 12 fall on this list. What about a Ms. Marvel 1? Also what criteria is it to make a certain tier?

What are your thoughts?

I'll kick things off

Tier 2: Amazing Fantasy 15, All Star 8 (Wonder Woman), Brave and Bold 28, Captain America 1

Tier 3: Hulk 181, Strange Tales 110, Incredible Hulk 1, Tales of Suspense 39, FF 1, ASM 1

Tier 4: ASM 121, NM 98, Batman Adventures 12

You are just at the tip of the iceberg.

Off the top of my head you are missing these

Marvel Comics 1

Batman 1

More Fun 73 (Aquaman and Green Arrow)

Showcase 4 (Flash)

Showcase 22 (Green Lantern)

BB 27 (JLA)

PEP 22 (Archie)

Action 252 (Supergirl)

FF 1

JIM 83

X-Men 1

GS X-Men 1

Avengers 1

Avengers 4

ASM 129

TMNT 1

Albedo 2 *Usagi Yojimbo

Walking Dead 1

Ok so then Tier 2? or are you putting them as tier 1 on the same platform as Action 1?

Why is Marvel 1 higher than Captain America 1?

Why is Marvel 1 higher than Captain America 1?

It's not I was giving a "for instance" type of book.Though my personal all time holy grail is Tec 27 There are plenty of books that belong in the tier 1 section.

Tier 2: Amazing Fantasy 15, All Star 8 (Wonder Woman), Captain America 1, Hulk 1, FF 1, Showcase 4

Tier 3: X-Men 1, Tales of Suspense 39, Journey into Mystery 83, Showcase 22, ASM 1, Daredevil 1, FF 5

Tier 4: Avengers 1, Hulk 181, Strange Tales 110, Brave and Bold 28, FF48, GSX1, TMNT 1

My biggest difference of opinion on this is Brave and the Bold 28, that and Avengers 1 would be Tier 3 for me at worst...

My wife also brought up a good point, age. Meaning how does your age affect your hierarchy/ An older person would most likely downplay NM 98 and Batman Adventures 12 while the younger crowd may think they are more significant.

Lastly I would place MSH 13 (First Carol Danvers) and Ms. Marvel 1 on Tier 4 at worst, though my personal bias would make a case for Tier 3

I wouldn't put MSH #13 or Ms. Marvel #1 anywhere on a tier system…they are completely speculation/movie driven. After that "new movie smell" wears off they will eventually go back down to their regular prices…albeit adjusted for inflation.

AF15, Hulk #1, X-Men #1, Hulk #181, etc….never depreciate. They will continue to grow.

Don't get me wrong, there could be a small change that somewhere down the road, MSH #13 could be the new Hulk #181 and this movie may kickstart that…but smart money says that is highly unlikely at this point.

My biggest difference of opinion on this is Brave and the Bold 28, that and Avengers 1 would be Tier 3 for me at worst...

My wife also brought up a good point, age. Meaning how does your age affect your hierarchy/ An older person would most likely downplay NM 98 and Batman Adventures 12 while the younger crowd may think they are more significant.

Lastly I would place MSH 13 (First Carol Danvers) and Ms. Marvel 1 on Tier 4 at worst, though my personal bias would make a case for Tier 3

Brave and the Bold 28 and Avengers #1 aren't first appearances of any characters. They're first "team books" whereas even though FF 1 and X-Men 1 are team books, they're also major keys and first appearances of the characters.

And I wouldn't consider MSH13 or Ms. Marvel 1 a key worthy of any tier above 7. 2c

these rankings are based on what?

Seeing Hulk 181 classed as a "tier 4" book made me scratch my head when it is one of the most liquid books around.

So when you make a ranking list like you are discussing, what are the reasons to classify it as such?

First appearance?

Rarity?

Value?

Sellability?