• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Inner sleeves

38 posts in this topic

Why does CGC use 2 different types of inner sleeves? does it depend on the book?

can the inner sleeve used in the first pic (tales to astonish) damage the book over time? someone posted a pic on another thread of a book with a ruined bottom edge. it looked like it was caused by the sleeve

1097116007.jpg

2135606.jpg

might be a noob question but i have to know. :)

someone posted a pic on another thread of a book with a ruined bottom edge. it looked like it was caused by the sleeve

Indeed. Also, the case looks pristine...no evidence of blunt trauma. (shrug)

asm9_le1_zps5ff76563.jpg

asm9_le2_zps9e97c748.jpg

asm9_le3_zps8382ba02.jpg

I had this exact issue happen to one of my expensive comics. I had to have it pressed by Matt Nelson and it was fixed (to my astonishment). But this one looks like some pages were torn also.... :(

When will CGC fix this inner well issue? They've known it can damage comics for years and yet....they do nothing about it.

:tonofbricks:

I think the second example is only used with Moderns. The first example can cause damage in the slab. As referenced above, this type of damage even has a name SCS. From what I remember reading, the original design gave the comic a little room to 'move' without damaging the corners. If the book is too snug in the well, it can cause damage at the staples. This happens when the inside of the book shifts while the cover stays static. Sometimes they put a wedge on the side or bottom of the book to keep it from shifting. The good news is that usually SCS can be repaired. SCS is the reason I usually like to see a scan of the Back cover before making a purchase.

Response from CGC on Facebook

"Hi Marc, Thanks for your question. If it is the inner well you are speaking of, you're most likely seeing what we call a "wedge". We have many pre-made sized wells that fit all types of books. But, there are occasions where we need to customize one of our wells in order to safely secure the book in place so that there is no movement inside. This requires inserting a "wedge", which keeps the book flush with the walls of the inner well, and keeps the book safe. Though this method is safe, we still recommend that everyone handle their comics carefully, avoiding any type of blunt force to any comic, no matter the level of protection. Due to the fragile nature of paper, nothing is 100%, but our holder is one of the safest ways to keep your comics from damage."

Response from CGC on Facebook

"Hi Marc, Thanks for your question. If it is the inner well you are speaking of, you're most likely seeing what we call a "wedge". We have many pre-made sized wells that fit all types of books. But, there are occasions where we need to customize one of our wells in order to safely secure the book in place so that there is no movement inside. This requires inserting a "wedge", which keeps the book flush with the walls of the inner well, and keeps the book safe. Though this method is safe, we still recommend that everyone handle their comics carefully, avoiding any type of blunt force to any comic, no matter the level of protection. Due to the fragile nature of paper, nothing is 100%, but our holder is one of the safest ways to keep your comics from damage."

Mark, not sure exactly what you asked but they did not respond to the question of SCS. In defense of CGC, I believe there is no fool proof way of preventing any type of damage. SCS probably occurs during shipping. Even with bullet proof packaging the boxes will get banged around and the comic will shift. There has to be a little play in the inner well else the book may tear at the staples.

I do like the wedge. I feel much better about purchasing a book when I know a wedge is present.

SCS is a possibility with both styles of inner well. Both are caused by improperly slabbing the book.

With the old style, recognizable with the "cut outs" at the corners, if the book is able to slide around freely, it can impact the well and cause problems. The "wedge" is inserted to stop this from happening.

The new style well is recognizable with the "seams/seals" at the sides and the pinch at the bottom and top. If the book is slabbed in such a way where it, as a whole, is not held tightly enough, the cover will stay in place from friction with the well, but the insides of the book will be able to move around upon impact.

This will cause staple tears and can ever rip the cover clean off. It is more likely to happen on books with a thick cover stock.

All in all, SCS in the new style inner wells is 'worse' and harder to detect, IMHO. I request all my books be put in old-style inner wells.

SCS is a possibility with both styles of inner well. Both are caused by improperly slabbing the book.

With the old style, recognizable with the "cut outs" at the corners, if the book is able to slide around freely, it can impact the well and cause problems. The "wedge" is inserted to stop this from happening.

The new style well is recognizable with the "seams/seals" at the sides and the pinch at the bottom and top. If the book is slabbed in such a way where it, as a whole, is not held tightly enough, the cover will stay in place from friction with the well, but the insides of the book will be able to move around upon impact.

This will cause staple tears and can ever rip the cover clean off. It is more likely to happen on books with a thick cover stock.

All in all, SCS in the new style inner wells is 'worse' and harder to detect, IMHO. I request all my books be put in old-style inner wells.

The damage pictured can happen just storing the books upright. No shaking is needed, just gravity.