• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Restored comics

68 posts in this topic

Rule of thumb, for even the bigger keys as well, is restored value will be 20-50% of blue label value of a comparable grade. (thumbs u

-J.

If you can direct me to place where I can get big PLOD SA keys for 20% of blue label I will pay you a sweet finders fee. (thumbs u

Rule of thumb, for even the bigger keys as well, is restored value will be 20-50% of blue label value of a comparable grade. (thumbs u

-J.

I'm really not observing this to be true for AF 15.

If you can point me to some example where one of these is selling for 20% of Blue label I'll also pony up a finder fee like Ninja.

(NOTE: Exception here is GLOD books with married pages. Those don't seem to be selling for larger %s of blue.)

On AF 15, restored books seem to go for 30 - 60% of unrestored in same grade.

I'm getting the feeling this is not the experience of people, but I also think people are taking experience from non-keys and applying it to ultra-keys.

I think they are kind of apples & oranges on this, at least that is what the data would suggest.

I once had an 8.5 AF 15 with slight resto, just color touch in a couple spots (an amount that might not have lowered the grade much at all if it had been defacing marks), and it sold for less than people are asking today for a 3.0 or even a 2.5 That much reduction is too steep and I am sure the person who bought it either sold it for much more or will sell it for much more if and when they do.

But I would say that AF15s are common enough that there is little or no reason to get them restored in the first place, so people who don't care for resto will feel even less need to compromise than they would with a GA book that might be more rare.

I once had an 8.5 AF 15 with slight resto, just color touch in a couple spots (an amount that might not have lowered the grade much at all if it had been defacing marks), and it sold for less than people are asking today for a 3.0 or even a 2.5 That much reduction is too steep and I am sure the person who bought it either sold it for much more or will sell it for much more if and when they do.

How long ago did you sell it? The book has gone up a LOT in recent years. Anything that happened with it more than 2 or 3 years ago would not seem to apply in today's marketplace.

Heck, 1.0s are going for $5k now.

-J.

I'm really not observing this to be true for AF 15.

If you can point me to some example where one of these is selling for 20% of Blue label I'll also pony up a finder fee like Ninja.

(NOTE: Exception here is GLOD books with married pages. Those don't seem to be selling for larger %s of blue.)

Heritage ?

-J.

The demand for "affordable" mega SA keys is huge right now so there are gladly people who will gladly pay ~65% for a purple label with some CT and tear seals and a reinforced cover.

A lot of the restored AF 15s I'm seeing have the "demon trimming" and seem to be selling just fine as well.

Are you sure about this? I was just looking at GPA and the gap seems substantial:

August 2014

7.0 $41,000

7.0 SA Trimmed $6,274

Seem to be similar price differentials at other grades for books sold at about the same time. Or am I missing something? hm

The demand for "affordable" mega SA keys is huge right now so there are gladly people who will gladly pay ~65% for a purple label with some CT and tear seals and a reinforced cover.

A lot of the restored AF 15s I'm seeing have the "demon trimming" and seem to be selling just fine as well.

Are you sure about this? I was just looking at GPA and the gap seems substantial:

August 2014

7.0 $41,000

7.0 SA Trimmed $6,274

Seem to be similar price differentials at other grades for books sold at about the same time. Or am I missing something? hm

You aren't. (thumbs u

The price for restored has certainly increased over time, but the relative value of a restored book remains about 20-50% of comparable blue label grades.

-J.

Maybe also depends on the grade. I'm not looking at high grades.

In 4.0, unrestored GPA avg is 9800

--> a 4.0 with married pages sold for 5256 in Oct

--> 4.0 trimmed/married sold for 4780 also in Oct

In 3.5, unrestored avg is 8329

--> a 3.5 trimmed sold for 4183 in March

This is certainly not a 20% scenario.

I think you guys are observing another common variation. The higher the grade, the less tolerance there is for this kind of thing. In the low grades it seems to not make as much difference.

I'd happily get a trimmed 7.0 for $6274 so if anyone sees one come up somewhere, let me know.

I've purchased a professionally restored Fantastic Four #1 in a VF I purchased for what was at the time VG guide. I felt the price at the time was fair. The book did have a lot of work done though...a lot more than most. Opinions on the price....don't be afraid to be honest. I was happy with the deal and that's all that matters.

I think you guys are observing another common variation. The higher the grade, the less tolerance there is for this kind of thing. In the low grades it seems to not make as much difference.

I'd happily get a trimmed 7.0 for $6274 so if anyone sees one come up somewhere, let me know.

Cherry-picking a couple of data points isn't an accurate way of depicting the market.

The guidance provided was a range that denotes a large amount of scenarios and was accurate.

Not sure if you are unhappy because you own a restored book and "want" it to be worth more or something else, but this is just silly.

the relative value of a restored book remains about 20-50% of comparable blue label grades.

I see the 50% end of this regularly in the low grades, I do NOT seem to be seeing the 20% end of this range in the lower grades.

Again, arbitrary point of view - the guidance is accurate. Certainly there are situations that will exceed (above or below) the guidance, but this is the norm.

Take requested advice as given. If you already have a POV, then don't ask the question. Arguing with people who give you advice on request is not a productive use of anyone's time.

Not sure if you are unhappy because you own a restored book and "want" it to be worth more or something else, but this is just silly.

No.

I'm looking to buy an AF #15 and as I look I just have never observed any sales that follow the advice you guys are giving (e.g., I have yet to see a restored copy for sale at 20% of the unrestored price) in the lower grades.

So, I am taking your advice as a "I have yet to observe it in the wild" type of thing, in the context of AF #15.

Further, I'm saying give me a heads up if anyone actually sees someone selling a restored AF 15 at 20% of what an unrestored goes for, because at that price I'd actually be interested.

The advice was useful/interesting, I'm now going to need to see how it bears up in the reality of actually buying an AF #15 because the SELLERS I'm seeing are certainly going for the gusto on the prices they're asking on restored books (especially trimmed ones), which is certainly not following this guidance, so thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm really trying to understand (based on data I'm seeing not matching the advice), not argue.

Edited by BobBretall

No.

I'm looking to buy an AF #15 and as I look I just have never observed any sales that follow the advice you guys are giving (e.g., I have yet to see a restored copy for sale at 20% of the unrestored price) in the lower grades.

So, I am taking your advice as a "I have yet to observe it in the wild" type of thing, in the context of AF #15.

Further, I'm saying give me a heads up if anyone actually sees someone selling a restored AF 15 at 20% of what an unrestored goes for, because at that price I'd actually be interested.

The advice was useful/interesting, I'm now going to need to see how it bears up in the reality of actually buying an AF #15 because the SELLERS I'm seeing are certainly going for the gusto on the prices they're asking on restored books (especially trimmed ones), which is certainly not following this guidance, so thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm really trying to understand (based on data I'm seeing not matching the advice), not argue.

Ok. (shrug)

FYI - I bought a CGC professional extensively restored 9.0 AF15 for 15% of the GPA recorded Blue label price at the time (a little less than two years ago) and sold it recently for 25% of the GPA recorded Blue label price. Book was NOT trimmed, but had plenty of other work done to it.

Restored values have been increasing but not hugely. What have been increasing are unrealistic online and eBay prices that have not typically ended in sales.

AF15s are very common, just expensive. Bide your time and you should be able to get what you want within reason.

Cherry-picking a couple of data points isn't an accurate way of depicting the market.

The guidance provided was a range that denotes a large amount of scenarios and was accurate.

If we are to talk about what's silly, hen the market itself gives us plenty of accurate examples of silly behavior in regard to resto. Originally, the idea of identifying resto was to say "it looks like a certain grade but it's actually a lower grade books that's been repaired or made to appear better." That then evolved into a desire to identify books not just as restored but "desecrated" so it was judged not based on what the grade was prior to the work and how the grade was changed but on the intent behind the work. Thus, a book with giant red scribbles on the focal point of the cover became worth more than a book with a couple dots of red ink in a red field of the book, and a book with a tiny tear seal was valued less than a book with a much larger tear that had not been sealed. A book with color touch in a corner was worth less than a book with a large section of that corner torn away.

The information about values may be accurate. But I think if we call a person "silly" for pointing out anomalies in the prices realizes, it begs for someone to point out the anomalies in pricing which result from silliness.

Edited by bluechip

If we are to talk about what's silly, hen the market itself gives us plenty of accurate examples of silly behavior in regard to resto. Originally, the idea of identifying resto was to say "it looks like a certain grade but it's actually a lower grade books that's been repaired or made to appear better." That then evolved into a desire to identify books not just as restored but "desecrated" so it was judged not based on what the grade was prior to the work and how the grade was changed but on the intent behind the work. Thus, a book with giant red scribbles on the focal point of the cover became worth more than a book with a couple dots of red ink in a red field of the book, and a book with a tiny tear seal was valued less than a book with a much larger tear that had not been sealed. A book with color touch in a corner was worth less than a book with a large section of that corner torn away.

The information about values may be accurate. But I think if we call a person "silly" for pointing out anomalies in the prices realizes, it begs for someone to point out the anomalies in pricing which result from silliness.

Very well said!!

No.

Ok. (shrug)

FYI - I bought a CGC professional extensively restored 9.0 AF15 for 15% of the GPA recorded Blue label price at the time (a little less than two years ago) and sold it recently for 25% of the GPA recorded Blue label price. Book was NOT trimmed, but had plenty of other work done to it.

Restored values have been increasing but not hugely. What have been increasing are unrealistic online and eBay prices that have not typically ended in sales.

AF15s are very common, just expensive. Bide your time and you should be able to get what you want within reason.

lemme see: AF 15 9.0 blue = 200Kish

you sold an ext resto AF 15 9.0 for 25% of that. I.e. 50K (shrug)

No.

Ok. (shrug)

lemme see: AF 15 9.0 blue = 200Kish

you sold an ext resto AF 15 9.0 for 25% of that. I.e. 50K (shrug)

Couldn't use the Feb sale, I guess my gauge of recently was a little off. (shrug)

9.0 quote was $150K.

Rounded a bit on the percentage, but yeah. What is your point?

The higher the apparent grade and the more work done, the smaller the percentage of unrestored value the book is going to sell for.

Silver Age books used to carry more of a stigma if restored than GA, but I'm guessing with unrestored keys in even low grade getting as expensive as they are, that the stigma is less than it used to be.