• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

True stories from the trenches of Craigslist.

104 posts in this topic

I was in Johnstown PA over the weekend for a wedding. Figured I would check the listings. Found a guy selling what he called 70's misc comics. He had some captain america, avengers, defenders. Was able to pick up about 50 books for $40 most are in fairly decent condition probably very good to fine. Definitely glad I reached out.

The only thing I ever got off of CL were two statues. Took a chance as it was about an 8 hour round trip car ride, but it turned out OK. Paid $200 for them and they are worth $600 easy.

christmas-story-house-leg-lamp-large.jpg

The only thing I ever got off of CL were two statues. Took a chance as it was about an 8 hour round trip car ride, but it turned out OK. Paid $200 for them and they are worth $600 easy.

christmas-story-house-leg-lamp-large.jpg

I can't afford the Italian stuff.

FTR - here are the two email addys I was given; I don't expect they will use them for long, but still, if anyone sees these in a response to your ad, just ignore the scammers:

geraldinebrewer123@gmail.com

mjohn1861@gmail.com

-slym

http://theemploymentinsider.blogspot.ca/2013/11/craigslist-spam-alert-thread-updated.html#.VGK6KfnF-So

do you still need a job if so get back (geraldinebrewer123@gmail.com)

http://reportcraigslistscams.com/xzclf/1/posts/1_Reported_Craigslist_Scams/1__/10114_geraldinebrewer123_BEWARE_.html

The few times it actually came down to a meeting, I've purchased all but one collection, or at least a portion of. I think I've met four people on Craigslist looking to sell collections. Bought maybe two and a half. The one I didn't buy was decent 80's stuff, even with a nice stack of B&W mags, but the condition was beyond salvageable, and I think many here know I'm not a stickler for condition.

Yellow pages? Try orange/brown and crumbling in your hands. Mags stuffed in regular comic longboxes. Yeah, bent and folded. Nothing that wasn't destroyed. I could have taken the collection for $200 (it was a small trailer full, not stacked though, just the single layer on the floor) but even at that I thought it would just be more garbage at the house, and who knows what kind of pests I'd bring home.

I have had great success in the past. Found a Hulk 181, buried amidst a bunch of other older Marvels, not great condition, but paid .25 cents for it, on average. A nice spinner rack for $50.00. Lots of great collections.

However, things are really starting to dry up. There is a store that posts 10-15 ads a day, EVERY day, "BUYING COMICS!!!" No-one else can really post, as they would more than likely go unnoticed in all this garbage. Very very annoying.

I have had great success in the past. Found a Hulk 181, buried amidst a bunch of other older Marvels, not great condition, but paid .25 cents for it, on average. A nice spinner rack for $50.00. Lots of great collections.

However, things are really starting to dry up. There is a store that posts 10-15 ads a day, EVERY day, "BUYING COMICS!!!" No-one else can really post, as they would more than likely go unnoticed in all this garbage. Very very annoying.

Click the "report as spam" button

you can hit notify if they have more than one ad stating the same thing

Click the "report as spam" button

reporting it only last a day then they are right back at in Craigslist does a horrible job when it comes to spam ads and dealers listing as individual sellers

Is there a general concern that buying collections or cherry-picking off of Craiglist negatively impacts the ability of local comic book shops to locate sources to replenish their back issue stashes? This question is not meant to criticize anyone, but merely to gauge whether this is a legitimate concern.

I suppose a few factors in this determination are whether your LCBS actually sells back issues, whether the LCBS is a positive presence in your community, and whether the community wishes to support the LCBS. One local dealer, that I enjoy purchasing from on a regular basis, mentioned to me how it has become more difficult to locate viable collections these days. I presume that the advent of the internet is a significant factor in this.

Is there a general concern that buying collections or cherry-picking off of Craiglist negatively impacts the ability of local comic book shops to locate sources to replenish their back issue stashes? This question is not meant to criticize anyone, but merely to gauge whether this is a legitimate concern.

I suppose a few factors in this determination are whether your LCBS actually sells back issues, whether the LCBS is a positive presence in your community, and whether the community wishes to support the LCBS. One local dealer, that I enjoy purchasing from on a regular basis, mentioned to me how it has become more difficult to locate viable collections these days. I presume that the advent of the internet is a significant factor in this.

They have the same shot at those CL adds.

A legitimate concern? Yes. Will anyone here care? Probably not.

The local store still has advantages in buying collections:

- they have a visible presence in the neighborhood. Potential sellers may end up calling or dropping before posting an ad. This is especially true with the older population, who may not be as comfortable around computers.

- People looking for an expert may figure the local store is the best place to go, rightfully or not.

- The store should already have a business relationship with the buyers nearby. Even if you don't have a pull list, everyone needs supplies, and a savvy store owner will chat up the guy buying cases of mylites.

:roflmao:

I have no concern whatsoever for potentially impinging any LCS's ability to source collections.

:roflmao: