• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

True stories from the trenches of Craigslist.

104 posts in this topic

Is there a general concern that buying collections or cherry-picking off of Craiglist negatively impacts the ability of local comic book shops to locate sources to replenish their back issue stashes? This question is not meant to criticize anyone, but merely to gauge whether this is a legitimate concern.

I suppose a few factors in this determination are whether your LCBS actually sells back issues, whether the LCBS is a positive presence in your community, and whether the community wishes to support the LCBS. One local dealer, that I enjoy purchasing from on a regular basis, mentioned to me how it has become more difficult to locate viable collections these days. I presume that the advent of the internet is a significant factor in this.

Comic book stores have a lot of advantages when it comes to buying collections. If they don't use the internet and all the new fans brought by movies/media to maximize those advantages, its on them.

I was in Johnstown PA over the weekend for a wedding. Figured I would check the listings. Found a guy selling what he called 70's misc comics. He had some captain america, avengers, defenders. Was able to pick up about 50 books for $40 most are in fairly decent condition probably very good to fine. Definitely glad I reached out.

Just got through the books I bought, feel I did very well with these. Most I will feel comfortable pricing out at $5 each, but there was one hidden gem The Defenders #10 I can safely grade it at NM going to send this one out to be graded.

I get the feeling from the ones around me(granted I am not a regular and just cruise through when I am local) that the demand for certain stuff to them is not worth the effort.

When I ask about Silver Age they just say nope, no one comes in looking for that any more. The cool thing is I have found some decent stuff for 50% off since they don't seem to care about it.

I am sure if it comes through their door they are more willing but to invest the time on (really old books from 1993- How many times have you heard that) is not worth the reward.

Easy-peasy one at high noon today. :) Met the guy at the mall, one $20 bill from me to him and a done deal. Nothing Earth-shattering, but some nice books in very very nice shape (already bagged & boarded, too).

15781378665_302889f74d_o.jpg

I've got another lined up in an hour for a $10 boxed Fantasticar and a third at 4:30 for some boxed Star Wars Mighty Muggs.

It gets me out of the house. :)

Peace,

Chip

I think it's more of the thrill for him. For many, it's the thrill of the hunt and something to do. If I had more time, I'd do it for the hunt. I could just go online and buy all the issues I need for market or above market prices but where's the fun in that? But I do buy online when the hunt for a particular issue becomes frustrating. However, I love it when I find that rare gem for a great price. This happens every now and then, often in a new collection stock recently purchased that some dealer or seller wasn't aware of or didn't/couldn't spare the time to look up and price properly. I found 2 HTF variants recently for $3 in NM. They are staying with me.

I don't have time for CL cause I'm always on travel and its harder to do in remote cities. I could spend less time shopping online but I will drive all over a metropolitan area spending 4-5 hours often coming up empty just for the thrill of checking out new comic shops and finding a hidden gem.

Looking at a collection after work today. Not CL, but a coworker who's mother was a house cleaner of a "old white guy."

My coworker is not into comics at all... but the desciption of the previous owner has me excited.

Did you factor in gas, Chip?

First trip was 15 minutes round trip. Second was 10 minutes round trip.

April and I barely use the car otherwise, so I don't really count gas unless I'm driving for a significant amount of time. We usually schedule these pickups around stuff like grocery shopping or other errands so it's negligible.

Peace,

Chip

Is there a general concern that buying collections or cherry-picking off of Craiglist negatively impacts the ability of local comic book shops to locate sources to replenish their back issue stashes? This question is not meant to criticize anyone, but merely to gauge whether this is a legitimate concern.

I suppose a few factors in this determination are whether your LCBS actually sells back issues, whether the LCBS is a positive presence in your community, and whether the community wishes to support the LCBS. One local dealer, that I enjoy purchasing from on a regular basis, mentioned to me how it has become more difficult to locate viable collections these days. I presume that the advent of the internet is a significant factor in this.

Comic book stores have a lot of advantages when it comes to buying collections. If they don't use the internet and all the new fans brought by movies/media to maximize those advantages, its on them.

This is a fair argument.

That seems like an awful lot of hustling for a smallish return.

Every bit of profit is huge for me. If I can make $50, I'll drive anywhere in town. Hell, that's my gas for the month. :)

Peace,

Chip

I don't know what your margins are and I honestly wasn't trying to be snarky. I think I typed that before you posted how the actual trips weren't that long in distance or time.

That Fantasticar looks pretty sweet BTW.

Phase two of today is completed. This thing is large. Not bad for $10! :)

15597458840_e0042ea1ea_o.jpg

Peace,

Chip

That's really cool, now I want one! I know people thought they were pretty cruddy compared to the later Marvel Legends line, but you really can't beat that original run of toys that Toy Biz made in the 5" scale. The lines for X-Men, X-Force, Fantastic Four, Avengers, etc encompass such a HUGE selection of characters that have never been released in any other format. And I think the kinda chunky, less sophisticated sculpting is cool too.

Phase two of today is completed. This thing is large. Not bad for $10! :)

15597458840_e0042ea1ea_o.jpg

Peace,

Chip

There was an outlet mall in Flemington, NJ that I lived near in the late 90s that had a toy store that would sell last year's toys. I was able to pick up most the of Fantastic Four toys, and they were completely awesome. I'm not a toy guy by any means, but I loved them.

The Fantasticar was especially great.

OK, I'll let you all in on my secret CL listing trick. I place an ad that says:

"Hi, I'm one of the caregivers at a local mental hospital. We like to use old comic books to pacify some of our patients. Due to the tendency of some patients to chew on, and sometimes actually eat the comics, our supplies are running low. We need donations of old comic books immediately. We prefer the 10 cent issues from the 1940s and 1950s because they are thicker and take longer for the patients to destroy. Any help you can give is appreciated."