• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Hero 6 Movie Review

88 posts in this topic

To me, a majority of this movie was setting up the characters and (eventually) creating the team. The actual fighting was secondary to the characters (which I think is good).

It surprises me, then, that a sequel has not been announced which focuses more on the fighting villains aspect.

There are a couple of scenes where the villain is in a mask that could be scary to a 4-year-old. There are some intense chase scenes that again shows the villain and some scenes where the main character is sad and dealing with loss. That might take some explanation to a little one.

When I took my 9-year old we did see pretty young kids at the theater too. There are some very cool science and funny scenes that the little kids loved. It's also almost two hours long! Overall, I think a 4-year-old would like the movie. Hope this helps!

Thanks. There is no Frozen type movie this year and not a lot of choice so I don't want her to regret coming.

There are a lot of kids movies coming out next yr.

BH6 is the Frozen type movie, made by the same people :). Whether it can stay in theatres until mid spring like frozen did....yet to be seen.

I've been so excited about this movie, I just haven't had time to see it yet.

Are there any good BH6 books to read? I went to my LCS and he said no and that they would be coming out with a new book about the movie, but I thought I'd double down and ask some more experts.

I had no idea about the backstory leading up to the movie, and even the engagement between Disney and Marvel to make this movie something different.

------------------------

After Disney's acquisition of Marvel Entertainment in 2009, CEO Bob Iger encouraged the company's divisions to explore Marvel's properties for adaptation concepts. By deliberately picking an obscure title, it would give them the freedom to come up with their own version. While co-directing Winnie the Pooh, director Don Hall was scrolling through a Marvel database when he stumbled upon Big Hero 6, a comic he had never heard of before. "I just liked the title", he said. He pitched the concept to John Lasseter in 2011, as one of five ideas for possible productions for Walt Disney Animation Studios, and this particular idea "struck a chord" with Lasseter, Hall, and Chris Williams. In June 2012, Disney confirmed that Walt Disney Animation Studios was adapting Marvel Comics' series and that the film had been commissioned into early stages of development. Because they wanted the concept to feel new and fresh, head of story Paul Briggs only read a few issues of the comic, while screenwriter Robert Baird admitted he had not read the comic at all. While both Sunfire and Silver Samurai were members of the team in the comic, they do not appear in the film due to 20th Century Fox already having obtained the film rights to those characters as part of the X-Men franchise.

Big Hero 6 was produced solely by Walt Disney Animation Studios, although several members of Marvel's creative team were involved in the film's production including Joe Quesada, Marvel's chief creative officer, and Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel Television. According to an interview with Axel Alonso by CBR, Marvel did not have any plans to publish a tie-in comic. Disney planned to reprint the Marvel version of Big Hero 6 themselves but reportedly Marvel disagreed. They eventually came to agreement that Yen Press would publish the Japanese manga version of Big Hero 6 for Disney. Conversely, Lasseter dismissed the idea of a rift between the two companies, and producer Roy Conli stated that Marvel allowed Disney "complete freedom in structuring the story." Regarding the film's story, Quesada stated, "The relationship between Hiro and his robot has a very Disney flavor to it...but it’s combined with these Marvel heroic arcs." The production team decided early on not to connect the film to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and set it in a stand-alone universe instead.

------------------------

Incredible movie. I was very surprised to discover it was a Marvel Comic property and further, that the original comic involved such characters as the Silver Samurai (who I imagine Disney can't use). The humour was spectacular, but not forced in the slightest. What was the most surprising was the movie's use of death and loss as both an emotional device and a legitimately powerful plot point.

The family and I went to see it yesterday and thought it was excellent. The missus liked it, 7 year old son liked it, I liked it. Even though I expected the Johnny Sokko/Giant Robot finale, it still tugged at the heartstrings. Except for one other guy, we were the only ones who stayed through the closing credits; since it wasn't a straight up Marvel superhero movie I didn't even know for sure that it was coming.

My only gripe was Prof. Callaghan's motives. Was he secretly evil throughout his whole career and had everyone he had inspired fooled, or did he suddenly turn bad the moment he saw Hiro's mini-bots? I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but his actions didn't make sense.