• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Failed Marvel superheroes

75 posts in this topic

Many of the big Marvel superheroes started in random issues of another title (Amazing Fantasy 15, Tales of Suspense 39, Journey into Mystery 83, Strange Tales 110.) Did Marvel plan on these characters becoming so popular? Are there other characters that did not make it? Thor and Iron Man continued to be the lead role in the issues following their debut. Were their characters that Marvel had hoped would do the same but missed? I am not so knowledgable about the individual issues in that time period. but did they ever introduce a superhero that they thought would make it big but failed? Did they expect the success they achieved with Thor and Iron Man?

AF TOS JIM and ST started as monster/horror titles, with the earlier issues referred to as "pre-hero". The issues you mentioned above is when the series started using "super heroes". It wasn't as if the earlier issues were filled with experimental super heroes that failed, and randomly they scored a hit at 15, 39, or 83. The one slight exception would be ST which started with super heroes in #101. AF was getting cancelled after 15, so they just took a chance on it with something completely different from 1-14. That's why Spidey goes straight from AF15 to ASM1.

You should watch this for some comic book history if you if you have a supported cable provider: http://abc.go.com/shows/movies-and-specials/listings/marvel-75-years-from-pulp-to-pop

I don't know of any that failed, but from what I understand, the heroes were given a trial run in those non-individual hero books so in case they didn't catch on, the company hadn't made a huge investment in them and the title would continue and throw another piece of spaghetti (i.e., another new hero) against the wall to see if it stuck (caught on w/ the fans).

I think it was also done back then because of how long it took the company to get the sales figures back to see if a new hero really HAD caught on. The FF, X-Men, and Hulk are exceptions to the general rule, even though the initial run of Hulk got canceled and he got folded into TTA.

Not failed ones, but for plenty of "dud" heroes, check out the list of the guest-stars in MTIO. lol I was told by a comic shop owner that the reason some of these "dud" heroes appearing in the team-up books was to renew the copyright on the characters. Seems likely, as I doubt The Thing teaming up with The Golem or Marvel's Scarecrow really made those issues jump off the racks. lol

I think its more like heroes that fell out of public favor, especially golden age ones. I doubt most people are aware Plastic Man or Catman were actual characters for example and as I understand they were quite popular in the day? Im actually quite interested in learning about (and eventually collecting) Super Heroes that where every bit as loved as Superman or Captain America but did not survive their era.

I think it is far easier to identify villains that did not catch on rather than heroes. Not too many appearances of Asbestos Man and the previously mentioned Marvel Scarecrow is not a quarter as popular or successful as DC's Scarecrow.

Ant Man/Giant Man was the lead feature in TTA but got replaced by Hulk and Submariner and never regained his prominence.

Submariner was a popular character in the Silver Age and early Bronze Age but faded from prominence over time (which I personally blame on the character being handled badly by writers).

I don't know of any that failed,

NFL Superpro! :sick:

That character wasn't introduced in one of the "generic" titles, was he? Didn't he start out in his own title?

He debuted in his own series that lasted 12 issues I think along with a one shot special.

IIRC years later he made some cameos here and there.

Edit: I just read this from Wiki: lol

Writer Fabian Nicieza admitted he wrote the story to gain free NFL tickets. He stated that he still receives flak for his comic.