• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Failed Marvel superheroes

75 posts in this topic

There is a whole B grade list of DC characters who have been given their own books multiple times, and had them cancelled multiple times: Aquaman, Atom, Hawkman. Have they ever really "caught on"?

You know Aquaman is kind of in a unique league as he was one of I believe only a few DC characters (Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow) that was continued to be published throughout the 50s as all others went kaput until the SA revived many of them.

Obviously he and Green Arrow were back-up features but Aquaman did get his own book in the SA and was a founding member of the JLA. I'm not sure if he has not been been around.

Captain Marvel was a 60s invention that didn't really catch on. The rebranded him as a superhero in the 70s, but he did not really get popular until Jim Starlin wrote and drew the book.

Marvel is obligated publish a Captain Marvel title every so often for the sole purpose of retaining the trademark. Which is why you don't see any of the DC books featuring the original Captain Marvel published under that title.

So, that's one title published now and then you'll see even if it doesn't sell.They just want to keep hold of the title.

The Cat / Tigra

She's got potential, but they keep missing the mark. I've always had faith that someone will get her placed right on a team or something - eventually.

They need to give Tigra a character-whats it like being part tiger? How does this make her act? What is her motivation?

Not just wise-cracking while fighting bad guys.

220px-BrotherVoodoo.JPG

Voodoo.jpg

The Shroud failed as well.

Super-Villain_Team-Up_Vol_1_7.jpg

267068-109013-shroud.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]Moon Knight dressed in Black...

:whatev:

But we all know they were trying to emulate Batman right?

[/font]

;)

But we all know Batman was trying to emulate The Shadow and Zorro right?

;)

:)

Probably that guy was replaced by Cloak with Dagger.

Good point. The house of ideas had a remarkable batting average in those early years. Even the early X-Men went 67 issues and wasn't cancelled but went into reprint.

I am pushing it but there was an almost forgotten character called, "Dr. Droom". I don't know if he was ever brought back. Someone besides me and the board member who calls himself Dr. Droom must have noticed. I think he was a Dr. Strange character who got shuffled out the door for some reason.

I snatched this off the internet.

Doctor Droom never appeared on the cover of Amazing Adventures (which was reserved for such terrible menaces as Manoo (no relation) and Monsteroso) but, skipping only one issue, he lasted as long as the title did. That was no great achievement, however, as the title was changed with #7 (December, 1961) to Amazing Adult Fantasy, and the format changed with it — no more monsters and no more Doctor Droom, just a full comic each month of little fantasy stories by Lee and Ditko. The final issue, re-titled again to take the word "adult" out, introduced Spider-Man.

Good point. The house of ideas had a remarkable batting average in those early years. Even the early X-Men went 67 issues and wasn't cancelled but went into reprint.

I am pushing it but there was an almost forgotten character called, "Dr. Droom". I don't know if he was ever brought back. Someone besides me and the board member who calls himself Dr. Droom must have noticed. I think he was a Dr. Strange character who got shuffled out the door for some reason.

I snatched this off the internet.

Doctor Droom never appeared on the cover of Amazing Adventures (which was reserved for such terrible menaces as Manoo (no relation) and Monsteroso) but, skipping only one issue, he lasted as long as the title did. That was no great achievement, however, as the title was changed with #7 (December, 1961) to Amazing Adult Fantasy, and the format changed with it — no more monsters and no more Doctor Droom, just a full comic each month of little fantasy stories by Lee and Ditko. The final issue, re-titled again to take the word "adult" out, introduced Spider-Man.

Dr. Droom was brought back, I remember him in later issues of the Avengers where he was called Dr. Druid.