• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Well, Chris Evans was a disaster on the recently reliable SNL tonight.

There goes that momentum and any watercooler talk Monday.

I bet Lorne Michaels is wishing he got Chris Pratt now. lol 

Well, you helped make this skit work.

SNL: Watch Chris Pine Mock the Many Super-Heroic White Guys Named Chris

lol

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I do try. lol 

It was the only thing that worked really.

Most of the sketches he was obviously reading off the cue cards (see Steven Seagal.)

We have been too spoiled with Louis CK and Melissa McCarthy. Still think Kristen Stewart was the best "non-comedian" host this season and Arianna Grande for last season.

Danica Patrick Wears Wonder Woman NASCAR Suit

4zoSUXi.png

Popular driver Danica Patrick will be wearing the red, blue, and gold colors of Wonder Woman for the next few weeks as she brings awareness to One Cure, an initiative that will help animals and humans alike in the fight against cancer. The photo surfaced on Reddit, and the suit looks phenomenal. Patrick appears quite happy to be representing the DC icon as well, and there's no doubt the hero would love the cause she's fighting for. Here's what she had to say about One Cure.

“I’ve given to all sorts of animal charities through the years, but One Cure is different,” Patrick said. “The purpose of One Cure is a game changer in finding a potential cure for cancer. Our pets are members of our families, and when they aren’t well, we want to do everything we can to help. Cancer has touched so many of us. Knowing we can use what we learn from keeping our animals healthy to potentially help save human lives is a cause I’m honored to support.”

First WONDER WOMAN Reactions On Twitter Are Positive But The Embargo Lifts Last Minute

bVw8fjC.png

Wonder Woman was screened to critics for the first time earlier this week, but everyone is under a strict embargo not to share so much as a single thought on the movie. However, some have inevitably broken that rule as you can see below. First up is Bustle's Anna Klassen, a female editor clearly appreciative of what Patty Jenkins brought to the table in the Amazon warrior's big screen solo outing.

Next up is a reviewer for The Daily Star, someone who's 4* verdict declaring it 2017's best superhero movie has already started popping up on posters. Alas, he also loved last year's Suicide Squad.

A now deleted Tweet from comic book writer Marc Andreyko (Wonder Woman '77) found by our friends over at Geek Feed stated that, "I can't get into specifics but @GalGadot gives a beautiful, nuanced, powerful performance, @PattyJenks is SO GOOD with actors." Well, that sounds good! 

my wife and two daughters are very excited for this movie. They cheer with the wife leading at various parts in the trailer and commercials.

30 minutes ago, paperheart said:

$65MM tracking? no way; does at least $85MM or higher if the reviews are good

SS opened with $133+, so I think WW will do as well if not better, regardless of reviews.

17 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

SS opened with $133+, so I think WW will do as well if not better, regardless of reviews.

So, interesting note on this - I think WW is going to have a tough time because of Disney.  I called my local large format (one of the old school IMAX screens where it's still legit 6 stories high).  They won't be showing WW because Disney cooked up a deal with a bunch of IMAX screens to keep extra showings of Pirates on the calendar.  Turns out, a bunch of the IMAX screens around me at AMC locations aren't showing WW opening weekend because of the commitment to Disney & Pirates.  I can only find 1 out of 4 in my area showing it IMAX. 

That will definitely cut into revenue since so much is being made off both IMAX and 3D these days.  Could undermine the opening.

Edited by Thawk

1 hour ago, Thawk said:

So, interesting note on this - I think WW is going to have a tough time because of Disney.  I called my local large format (one of the old school IMAX screens where it's still legit 6 stories high).  They won't be showing WW because Disney cooked up a deal with a bunch of IMAX screens to keep extra showings of Pirates on the calendar.  Turns out, a bunch of the IMAX screens around me at AMC locations aren't showing WW opening weekend because of the commitment to Disney & Pirates.  I can only find 1 out of 4 in my area showing it IMAX. 

That will definitely cut into revenue since so much is being made off both IMAX and 3D these days.  Could undermine the opening.

I am not surprised. Smart move by Disney.

That being said, I think that the WW movie will be huge and driven by a large female audience just like SS was. Last year my daughter and her friends saw SS multiple times (as did most female tweens/teens we know), and I expect it to be the same for WW.

On 5/15/2017 at 2:37 PM, Thawk said:

I think WW is going to have a tough time because of Disney.  I called my local large format (one of the old school IMAX screens where it's still legit 6 stories high).  They won't be showing WW because Disney cooked up a deal with a bunch of IMAX screens to keep extra showings of Pirates on the calendar.  

What reason is there to think that Disney deliberately did this?  The Pirates movies have been box office gold, so I'd expect any IMAX theater to willingly choose to show that instead of almost anything else, Wonder Woman included.  Seems like a fail by WB to release it a week after Pirates; they should have released it before or several weeks after Pirates.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

What reason is there to think that Disney deliberately did this?  The Pirates movies have been box office gold, so I'd expect any IMAX theater to willingly choose to show that instead of almost anything else, Wonder Woman included.  Seems like a fail by WB to release it a week after Pirates; they should have released it before or several weeks after Pirates.

They did it for the only reason there is for a studio, $$$,$$$,$$$. Studios compete with one another just like any other industry. It is smart business for them to do this, just like it was for WW to set a date that will likely hurt the broader Pirates box office take. Both studios are playing the game.

I highly doubt that IMAX would take Pirates over WW if it was just the two films going head to head. The last Pirates movie was a flop domestically compared to the first three (it is the only one of the four that did not top $250M in its release year yet it had the highest ticket prices), and I doubt this one will do any better. It is a tired franchise that is banking on a leading actor who is nowhere near as popular now as he was a decade ago. That being said, if I am Disney I would "incentivize" IMAX to keep Pirates running for longer as part of a broader Disney/Marvel film deal. IMAX would comply since the other film franchises are worth more to them than Pirates is.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

They did it for the only reason there is for a studio, $$$,$$$,$$$. Studios compete with one another just like any other industry. It is smart business for them to do this, just like it was for WW to set a date that will likely hurt the broader Pirates box office take. Both studios are playing the game.

I highly doubt that IMAX would take Pirates over WW if it was just the two films going head to head. The last Pirates movie was a flop domestically compared to the first three (it is the only one of the four that did not top $250M in its release year yet it had the highest ticket prices), and I doubt this one will do any better. It is a tired franchise that is banking on a leading actor who is nowhere near as popular now as he was a decade ago. That being said, if I am Disney I would "incentivize" IMAX to keep Pirates running for longer as part of a broader Disney/Marvel film deal. IMAX would comply since the other film franchises are worth more to them than Pirates is.

Pretty much that ^ 

I didn't say it was underhanded or anything - just what I was told by the theater.  If they can cut into the WB take on their second weekend, why wouldn't they?  When you spend what it takes to make a Pirates movie, you don't want to lose the top spot on the second weekend - you do what you can to keep the word of mouth going, not get replaced.  Especially when such a deal could so easily be tied into some future incentives for MCU / Star Wars premieres

Edited by Thawk