• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pgx interview

53 posts in this topic

You know, sometimes you learn more about people by just making them comfortable and letting them run......... if you start hitting them hard from the start, they'll just clam up.

I thought the interview was pretty good, and more revealing than Patterson may have realized.

"I try to give all of the grading companies a fair shake over there thats all."

Cool. Can I get free advertising...oooops....I mean a softball interview on there also?

poke2.gifstooges.gifflowerred.gif

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to burn any bridges here. I would indeed like to do an interview with you Steve, or someone from your staff someday for the site.

This certainly doen't mean I or anyone else over at Stlcomics.com prefers PGX over CGC you know, it was just a small interview.

"I try to give all of the grading companies a fair shake over there thats all."

Cool. Can I get free advertising...oooops....I mean a softball interview on there also?

poke2.gifstooges.gifflowerred.gif

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to burn any bridges here. I would indeed like to do an interview with you Steve, or someone from your staff someday for the site.

This certainly doen't mean I or anyone else over at Stlcomics.com prefers PGX over CGC you know, it was just a small interview.

I was just having fun with you. flowerred.gif

Anytime you want to interview me you can. Not only that, you can ask me "hard" questions. I promise not to dodge anything about CGC, it does not need to be a fluff piece. grin.gif

Anytime you want to interview me you can. Not only that, you can ask me "hard" questions. I promise not to dodge anything about CGC, it does not need to be a fluff piece. grin.gif

Then I must request that you answer this hard question..

Steve...

Is it true that you have re located Newt to a small closet in the basement?.. AND took his stapler?

Ze-

Then I must request that you answer this hard question..

Steve...

Is it true that you have re located Newt to a small closet in the basement?.. AND took his stapler?

Ze-

Newt lives in our office like the Gimp in Pulp Fiction lived in the back room. 893whatthe.gif

And to those horrible rumors that I took his stapler, I say "No comment" sumo.gif

I just read the entire interview/press release. Not bad in my opinion, but I'm not so much a critic like most of you out there. One thing obvious to me is that Daniel surely reads these boards alot as he used many of the complaints against CGC stated here to his advantage, especially with the slab design. Heck, he made some very good points on that topic.

However, I did not care for his explanation regarding their experience. I realize that this is one of the sticky subjects for them, that they don't have much recognized experience to show off other than just being involved in the hobby for years, like most of us. But, with the exception of restoration detection, with the grading in and of itself I think that most experienced collectors could form a small group, standardize their own grading scale and do just as well as CGC or PGX. So I am completely comfortable with their grading. With restoration detection, you take their word on it or not that they know what they are doing. All a matter of trust in that area along with the reputation they have built so far.

I like the way they are going to Barex for their inner well, most likely influenced by our comments here. Being that this is the Cadillac of comic book message boards (at least I think, is it?) I imagine that Daniel strives to gain our respect and acceptance, especially as most of us are such CGC enthusiests.

In any regard, it was good to be able to read a statement from Daniel regarding many aspects of their business. I have to admit that it did give me a little bit more confidence in them, and I like how they are striving to improve whatever aspects of their business that they can. And being a much smaller company, they can implement these changes much faster than CGC could. I'll still send both companies my books. CGC is still tops with me, but I will be taking advantage of PGX's lower costs and turnaround times with my Economy level books. ------Sid

I will let George Panatela speak for me. From the Iron Slab's interview (emphasis mine(:

EG: When I polled forum members for questions to ask you this was #1 on the list by far and it is a very important one: As CGG/PGA becomes more accepted in the industry are there or will there be any plans to add CGG/PGA books to the analysis? They have graded over 10,000 Comic books now and their auctions are becoming more frequent on eBay. There are well over 200 CGG/PGA auctions on eBay at this very moment.

GP: A service such as ours lives and dies by the accuracy of the reporting it provides daily. It is therefore paramount that data we gather is comparing apples for apples and I have some real concerns about this being the case were we to include PGA sales. When CGG first appeared on the market, we tried to contact the owners to ask for more information. Unfortunately there was no response. In my opinion, only CGC currently offers a complete grading, restoration check, archival quality encapsulation and grading information service .

That is a stunning statement, simply stunning. Here is a company that is providing the high end community the basis for pricing, and it contacts you, the owner of a new certification and grading company, and nobody picks up the phone?

I will let George Panatela speak for me. From the Iron Slab's interview (emphasis mine(:

EG: When I polled forum members for questions to ask you this was #1 on the list by far and it is a very important one: As CGG/PGA becomes more accepted in the industry are there or will there be any plans to add CGG/PGA books to the analysis? They have graded over 10,000 Comic books now and their auctions are becoming more frequent on eBay. There are well over 200 CGG/PGA auctions on eBay at this very moment.

GP: A service such as ours lives and dies by the accuracy of the reporting it provides daily. It is therefore paramount that data we gather is comparing apples for apples and I have some real concerns about this being the case were we to include PGA sales. When CGG first appeared on the market, we tried to contact the owners to ask for more information. Unfortunately there was no response. In my opinion, only CGC currently offers a complete grading, restoration check, archival quality encapsulation and grading information service .

That is a stunning statement, simply stunning. Here is a company that is providing the high end community the basis for pricing, and it contacts you, the owner of a new certification and grading company, and nobody picks up the phone?

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Yes, and they refused to invest in some podunk startup called "Microsoft" in the 80s too...

The only thing I'm still hesitant about is whether PGX will continue to be too harsh on modern comics above 9.2.

Exactly, and the only reason I have not sent them many of such books. Odds are that you will get one, maybe two bumps up in grade from CGC for Modern high grades, I've even witnessed this with my own books. Not so much a difference on older or mid-grades books though. I don't know which companies' standards should be considered correct, maybe they both are, but when your primary objective is to get the book slabbed to sell, then you want to go with the company whose service will grant you a higher price. Not only are you likely to get a higher grade on your CGCed books, but their reputation demands a premium as well.

Factoring in the closer grading between the two in older books, and the fees and turnaround time, the benefits of the CGC name starts to diminish when getting into Economy level books. Silver and Bronze are not a dime a dozen, so your odds of commanding similar sales figures from both companies are closer to even than with the Moderns. With that said, I use a combination of the two and am quite happy with the results.

So, Everyone keeps fighting over which of these grading companies is the best.

Let's separate fact from fiction.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Fact: CGC'd books sell for more money than PGX and CGG.(esp. High Grade)

Fact: CGC is the most expensive.

Fact: PGX is the cheapest.

Fact: PGX and CGG are more strict on grades.(Esp. Moderns)

thumbsup2.gif

Fiction: All these companies use the same grading standards.

Fiction: These companies will adopt a common grading platform.

Fiction: These companies will disclose their grading criteria.

Fiction: Human error and the subjective nature of grading is eliminated by having a book pro. graded.

Fiction: Any of these companies will someday admit that one is better that the other, grades more accurately, and that everyone is right.."their holder sucks!".

yeahok.gif

By the way does anyone know if one holder has been scientificly proven better? Christo_pull_hair.gif

Fact: PGX and CGG are more strict on grades.(Esp. Moderns)

That is not a fact. There is a perception of that by some people above the 8.0 grade level, but below 8.0, PGX is far more lenient in their grading. That is a FACT.