• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK HULK 1

46 posts in this topic

Gadzukes, I would guess that cost of slabbing is also a huge factor. Lets use that Hulk 1 4.0 as a point of reference from earlier. Ok so I pack it up and then have to fedex it from UK to CGC. I'm gonna use my corporate account to generate costs (I get a significant discount, so factor that into the numbers) Fedex is giving me quotes for overnight at $140.62 and $98.72 for economy. That means I'm gonna have to pay almost $200 in shipping costs plus import duty when the book comes back. Plus 3% of $5,000. So total grading fees would be $353.44+ import duty.

There's no import duty and the shipping costs are a LOT less than that...certainly if submitted through a member dealer.

Ahhhh ok that makes perfect sense. I was basing it off of a personal submission. Thanks for info. What would it run for a submission through you guys or a like shop? Like $200 us graded and shipped both ways?

By the way. The census shows the date of the UK AF15 as being a month later than the US AF15. Is that a glitch or is that a fact?

Often wondered about this. As you know, it doesnt have a date on the cover and I imagine the indicia inside is no different, other than the extra but about T&P on inside FC.

So I have no idea why they say September? I do know the my Dad bought it that summer back in'62. :cloud9:

gaz973, Why are there so few pence copies slabbed by CGC? Is it because Brits don't want to risk shipping them overseas? Or is it because they really are super rare comics.

Another way I should ask this is.... Do you see a lot of "raw" pence copies in the UK? Of key issues?

When you look at the CGC census for AF15 it shows 32 UK copies and 2246 US copies.

That's 1 UK graded copy for every 72 US graded copies.

With the highest grade being a 7.0 (my copy... woohoo)

For Hulk 1 it's 24 UK slabs and 1134 US slabs.

That boils down to 1 UK graded copy for every 47 US copies.

With the highest UK grade being a 6.5

Xmen 1= 37UK - 2930US

FF 1 = 7UK - 1515US

TTA27 = 7UK - 634US

JIM83 = 13UK - 1166US

A couple of reasons really. Firstly there is less of a stabbing culture in the UK than in the US which combined with it being a bit more expensive, means that people just aren't motivated to slab them.

Secondly, I believe that there was also less of a collecting culture in the UK than the US, particularly back when these keys were being printed meaning that less people cared for their comics leading to a lower percentage of higher grade copies on an already low percentage of the print run.

I recently viewed a huge collection belonging to a deceased customer over here. Most of it was pence priced, so I wasn't that motivated anyway, but the discrepancy between their grades and valuations on the keys compared to mine was just too great. I told them they needed to get them slabbed, but no. The AF 15 & Hulk 1 looked pretty nice, but you can't grade a book 6.5 when it has extra staple holes down the spine from being bound together with other copies I told them.

In the end we couldn't agree.

With 70s Marvel All-Colour Comics, the cover month tended to match the month during which they appeared at the newsagents here. When I was able to start buying cent import copies, I noticed that the month on the cover was usually three months ahead.

So, the cent copies for the American market and the pence copies for the British market could've been printed during exactly the same run - both first editions, in effect - but in being sent over as ballast on a ship, by extremely slow surface mail taking around 3 months, that cover month discrepancy was eroded and wasn't apparent over here on our copies.

gaz973, Why are there so few pence copies slabbed by CGC? Is it because Brits don't want to risk shipping them overseas? Or is it because they really are super rare comics.

Another way I should ask this is.... Do you see a lot of "raw" pence copies in the UK? Of key issues?

When you look at the CGC census for AF15 it shows 32 UK copies and 2246 US copies.

That's 1 UK graded copy for every 72 US graded copies.

With the highest grade being a 7.0 (my copy... woohoo)

For Hulk 1 it's 24 UK slabs and 1134 US slabs.

That boils down to 1 UK graded copy for every 47 US copies.

With the highest UK grade being a 6.5

Xmen 1= 37UK - 2930US

FF 1 = 7UK - 1515US

TTA27 = 7UK - 634US

JIM83 = 13UK - 1166US

A couple of reasons really. Firstly there is less of a stabbing culture in the UK than in the US which combined with it being a bit more expensive, means that people just aren't motivated to slab them.

Secondly, I believe that there was also less of a collecting culture in the UK than the US, particularly back when these keys were being printed meaning that less people cared for their comics leading to a lower percentage of higher grade copies on an already low percentage of the print run.

This is the result of stricter gun laws. People can't shoot each other nearly as easily as Americans so they resort to the next best thing-- a good, proper stabbing.

It's science.

Every time this Pence/Cents conversation comes up I get more interested in Pence copies.

Pence copies will have their day. Come on Brits lead the charge on this.

And CGC..... how about having a "Bring out your dead Pence" promotion where you do a 33% off grading/slabbing that's good only on pence copies. That might bring a few more Pence copies out of the woodwork.