• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Human Torch 8 - only a 4.5 wtf???.. B-1 restored...but how so low

28 posts in this topic

Human Torch 8. Things to note:

1. 1/3" or so cut above N. Goes through to several pages. How much does this hurt book

2. Crease through U in "Issue" is only crease, not cut.

3. Help me find any resto if it exists. I don't see any, but I am painfully inadeqaute and I don't want to send a restored comic to CGC.

When guessing the grade, don't give me your conservative opinion, give me your best guess as to what the CGC folks typically would say.

ALL INPUT APPRECIATED

1416596710567-51257266.jpg

1416596761773-364120937.jpg

1416596793911954391161.jpg

1416596845512-1440053667.jpg

1416597037031-1369329161.jpg

1416596979291-1892610326.jpg

1416597129078-2082563868.jpg

It looks like the crease through the U in Issue runs all the way down through the M and O in Human Torch and through the torch's head. Can you verify? With that major crease and the tear and the fold on the URFC I'm going to guess 6.5. Very nice comic!

Good eye...the crease runs down all the way to melting metal at sub mariners chest. It is slight though and hard to see past the top of the 'M' without an intense light.

A 6.5 is nice (especially with that tear). Damn, I want a 7.0 though.

Honestly I think the crease (even though light) limits the book more than the tear does. Considering how much CGC hits books that have a sub crease even if they are high grade and the crease is light. Still a 6.5 of this book is nothing to scoff at. You've shown some pretty books.

EDIT: And considering a 6.0 of this comic just went for over $2k yesterday in the HA auction I would guess it's pretty valuable if you look to sell it.

Wow, a 6.0 went for $2k. GPA not showing it. But since a 5.5 went for $1550 and a 7.0 went for $3k 11 years ago, I wonder if a 6.5 might go for $2.5k or maybe even $3k. Kinda cool.

Actually :gossip: $2151 Has no major creases or tears, but has much worse corners than your copy and the spine looks like it has a couple chips out of it.

Wow, a 6.0 went for $2k. GPA not showing it. But since a 5.5 went for $1550 and a 7.0 went for $3k 11 years ago, I wonder if a 6.5 might go for $2.5k or maybe even $3k. Kinda cool.

Actually :gossip: $2151 Has no major creases or tears, but has much worse corners than your copy and the spine looks like it has a couple chips out of it.

Good info...so does that mean mine is worse or better than this 6.0?

I like yours at about a 6.5 as I said previously. BTW I'd highly recommend you submit these comics to CGC if you are planning on selling. Both to maximize your profit and to minimize the risk of restoration for anyone buying the comics.

I absolutely will do so unless I get an offer on the board first (which is unlikely given the need for resto check, but who knows). I actually have a number of items to send in right now...need to do so. Still trying to figure out whether the flash 123 can hit a 7.0. There is a huge jump when it does so.

What a solid copy. Not bad for the Golden Age comic book. It seemed 6.5 to me due to the small tear. If I were you, I will gamble on the pressing to some bumps in the grade.

I don't see any non color breaking creases that a press would improve. I am a noob when it comes to pressing though. What am I missing?

What a solid copy. Not bad for the Golden Age comic book. It seemed 6.5 to me due to the small tear. If I were you, I will gamble on the pressing to some bumps in the grade.

I don't see any non color breaking creases that a press would improve. I am a noob when it comes to pressing though. What am I missing?

Speaking of the investment, any good defects can be removed by the pressing. The color breaking creases or folding lines are bad defects that pressing will not solve it. You can get one or two grades better that will become your best investment.

looks like it doesnt lay completely flat a press would cure that for sure --- and then id say it hits the 6.5 running