• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Famous/weird/bizarre buyers?
1 1

74 posts in this topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rub%C3%A9n_Blades

Ah, thanks Richard, learn something every day!

I did know that he collected low grade comics and sold his collection a few years ago.

Dean Kamen however, is probably one of the most prolific US inventors. He invented the Segway, the insulin Pump, and a process to purify water, among all kinds of other stuff including a really neat soda machine for Coke that allows users to pick over 100 flavors. That was in a deal with Coke, to get his water purifying system out to people who needed it in poor countries. I'm very impressed with Kamen..

He also donated a lot of his time to help kids with robotic programs...and his father was one of the best GGA artists.

The first GA book I ever sold was to a nice guy who was some kind of big shot at Lion's Gate or Lion's Gate 2. It was a coverless Action 23 and he wanted it because he was doing research for a movie on Superman.

I forgot about him, very nice person, he got us passes to see a TV show when we went to LA. That was at least 16 years ago and I don't remember his name.

I wasn't sure if that was the Dean Kamen you were talking about. He's the guy who invented the I - Bot, and was going to change history with the fuel cell powered scotter called " Ginger ". He's the owner of Deca Industries I believe.

Same person!

He also donated time to a lot of kids projects. My friend's son (who was in a group of very bright, but otherwise challenged teens) was in a robotic's group that he (Kamen) mentored. Some of the kids were autistic, others, had other problems. That was what impressed me, he just donated his time.

I kept a note he sent thanking me for selling him a piece of his father's art, but I am sure I lost in in some move.

Here's a few that have bought from me on ebay and elsewhere:

Life Magazines:

Wardrobe department for Mad Men

D. Cavett (the talk show host)

Comics:

Gene Colan (bought a Creepy #8)

Aaron Lopresti

Rube Goldberg's granddaughter

Terry Austin

There's a funny story with this sale. He bought a Fun Comics #11, which has an L. B. Cole cover. In the listing title, I put (along with other info) "FUN COMICS 11 LB COLE COVER" due to space limitations.

When he received the book, he sent me a message saying that he was surprised by the book. He thought that it was supposed to weigh 11 pounds from the listing title. I explained that it was to indicate an L. B. Cole cover. He then pointed out how a teacher of his had taught him the importance of punctuation.

I also told him how his inking had inspired me to do some work in the field. He responded by saying that he "never intended to lead young innocents into a life of crime" and that he hoped my lawyer wouldn't contact him.

Here's a few that have bought from me on ebay and elsewhere:

Life Magazines:

Wardrobe department for Mad Men

D. Cavett (the talk show host)

Comics:

Gene Colan (bought a Creepy #8)

Aaron Lopresti

Rube Goldberg's granddaughter

Terry Austin

There's a funny story with this sale. He bought a Fun Comics #11, which has an L. B. Cole cover. In the listing title, I put (along with other info) "FUN COMICS 11 LB COLE COVER" due to space limitations.

When he received the book, he sent me a message saying that he was surprised by the book. He thought that it was supposed to weigh 11 pounds from the listing title. I explained that it was to indicate an L. B. Cole cover. He then pointed out how a teacher of his had taught him the importance of punctuation.

I also told him how his inking had inspired me to do some work in the field. He responded by saying that he "never intended to lead young innocents into a life of crime" and that he hoped my lawyer wouldn't contact him.

frank miller related a similar story to me.

I sold Jim Starlin a few pieces of Gallo pewter at a show.

Tom DeFalco was a semi regular at my shop, and when I managed the shop in Puerto Rico, Ricky Martin, Robbi Rosa and some of the other members of Menudo would come by after hours.

The pro wrestlers The Missing Link , SD Jones and Rocky Johnson used to stop by but hardly ever bought anything.

I sold a full run of Jack Kirby's Sandman run to The Secret Stash (Comic Book Men) thru eBay a few months ago. I googled the address to see if it was really them & it match up.

They didn't leave any feedback :P

I sold a high grade copy of The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis #4 to Bob Denver on eBay. This was back in the early days of eBay, so I remember receiving a personal check from them for the book.

I also sold a Flaming Carrot trade paperback to the Secret Stash, I think that was before the TV show was out.

I sold a full run of Jack Kirby's Sandman run to The Secret Stash (Comic Book Men) thru eBay a few months ago. I googled the address to see if it was really them & it match up.

They didn't leave any feedback :P

:roflmao: That doesn't surprise me one bit. From what I can figure from their show is that they ain't the most professional of people. doh!:facepalm:

Sold a gameboy game to company that created it which was kind of weird. I had it with the original instructions and the box so they may have wanted it for their archives.

Sold a couple of old Disney things to a state senator. I cannot remember his name. I have the envelope somewhere.

Sold David Carradine an issue of Super-Snipe for $40 at SDCC around 1989. His check bounced.

Neil Patrick Harris bought some Super Magician comics while he was playing Doogie Howser M.D.

Yao Ming came in the shop looking for import Transformer figures. That was cool. I really looked up to him. He's a foot taller than me!

Glenn Danzig came in the shop while on tour about fifteen years ago and bought some golden age. He's two feet shorter than Yao Ming.

We had Ed "Big Daddy" Roth for a store signing in the early '90s. He decided to to sign all of the posters in the bathroom while he was doing his business.

Chatted with Dennis Miller about the Jack Kirby Fantastic Four issues while his kids looked at comics.

Chatted with Matt Groening while his kids loaded up a long box of Richie Rich and Archie comics.

But my favorite of all was selling Ed Sabol of NFL Films a stack of Lone Ranger comics at a show in Philadelphia. At one point I told him that his was the only job I would trade mine for. He said he always wanted to have a comic shop. For a second there I thought we had a deal. He truly was about as nice as they come.