• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Art Adams appreciation
1 1

43 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Comicdave said:

The first time I remember seeing Art Adams was at a San Diego Comic-Con I believe in 1984. He was at a table doing sketches and nobody was around him. I think he had only done a couple covers at this point. I remember noting to myself that his art was pretty good, but since I hadn't heard of him, I didn't bother to get a sketch from him. The following year i believe the 1st issue of Longshot had come out and since he was now known to me I got a sketch from him. A Longshot and Ricochet Rita. The next year 1986 I was helping my then boss at his booth at San Diego Comic-Con (I was a manager at one of his stores). On the Friday of the con I stayed and worked the store the 1st half of the day, so the other employee would have a chance to attend the con. By the time I got to the con, I found out that earlier in the day Art Adams had brought and sold the original art for Longshot 1. He apparently sold the cover for $100 and interior pages for $50 each. :whatthe: The dealer who bought the cover for #1 put it up for sale for $300. I tried to trade the original art for the cover of Marvel Fanfare #5 (Marshall Rogers wraparound Dr.Strange) and an interior splash by Jim Starlin from Death of Captain Marvel (the nightmare sequence where he's fighting all of the bad guys) for the Longshot cover, but while the dealer was thinking about it, someone came up and bought the Longshot cover. Oh well. 

Great story Dave. Do you still have that sketch of Longshot & Rita?

Yes, Art does amazing commissions, I think they rate between 5k-7500

Those are certainly fine examples of some of them!

32 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Great story Dave. Do you still have that sketch of Longshot & Rita?

Yes, Art does amazing commissions, I think they rate between 5k-7500

Those are certainly fine examples of some of them!

I believe I have a copy of the sketch, but unfortunately I sold nearly all my original art and sketches long before they exploded in value.