• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper Art Adams appreciation
1 1

43 posts in this topic

There's only one artist that influenced me in the 80s and made me get into drawing at the time and it was the legendary Arthur Adams! I have since stopped drawing and collecting for awhile, but then got back into it a few years ago. So yeah, Art Adams to me, will always be the king of Copper Age. Feel free to share your inspiring Art Adams covers, books, original art, sketches, doodles or graded books.

A compilation of Art Adams copper books that I know of:

Action Comics Annual #1

Alien Worlds 3D #1 (6 pages)

Appleseed #1-5 vol 2 (cover)

Batman #400 (6 pages)

Classic X-Men #1-10, 12-16, 18-22 (cover and interior front cover sketch)

Cloak & Dagger #9

Conan #247-249 (cover)

Daredevil #238, 239 (cover)

Defenders #142 (cover)

Excalibur - Mojo Mayhem

Fantastic Four #347-349

Firestar #3 (cover)

Godzilla B&W portfolio (Dark Horse)

Great Comic Book Artists TP (1989) #2 (cover)

Gumby's Summer Fun Special #1

Gumby's Winter Fun Special #1

Web Of Spider-Man Annual #2

Last of the Viking Heroes #7 (cover)

Longshot #1-6

Longshot TPB

Marvel Age Annual #4 (cover)

Marvel Fanfare #13 (cover)

Marvel Fanfare #37 (pin up)

Marvel Holiday Special (cover and interior pages)

Marvel Super Heroes Summer Special (cover)

Marvel Team Up #141 (cover)

New Mutants #38, 39 (cover)

New Mutants Special #1

Spectre Annual #1 (cover)

Uncanny X-Men #214, 218 (cover)

Uncanny X-Men Annual #9, 10, 12, 14

Uncanny X-Men From The Ashes TPB (cover)

x factor #41, 42

X-Men Asgardian Wars TPB (cover)

X-Men Heroes For Hope (cover)

Finally, does anyone here own a copy of High Energy #1, I have long wanted to see its interior as it had the first published work of Art. I've been looking to find a copy for the longest but never see it come up on the Bay

1026043_10201595187064517_1072506149_o.jpg

From my understanding Longshot # 1 is his first pro work.

It may have been released after some other published work, simply because he took FOREVER to complete longshot.

If you are looking for difference in style, I wouldn't expect it, since Longshot 1 was very early.

Not really, Im just a fan and have all his copper books, that's the only one Im missing.

Yes, Art took forever on books, but for art's sake (no pun intended) it was well worth it and always well received. You can clearly see a difference in his art from his really early books (Xmen annual 9,10 lets say to X men annual 14). Each panel used to be packed with details and amazing texture renderings. It got a little sloppier with late copper - modern issues, but that's probably because he couldnt meet his deadlines. Theres nothing wrong with taking your time in perfecting your work, if the results are well worth it.

Not really, Im just a fan and have all his copper books, that's the only one Im missing.

Yes, Art took forever on books, but for art's sake (no pun intended) it was well worth it and always well received. You can clearly see a difference in his art from his really early books (Xmen annual 9,10 lets say to X men annual 14). Each panel used to be packed with details and amazing texture renderings. It got a little sloppier with late copper - modern issues, but that's probably because he couldnt meet his deadlines. Theres nothing wrong with taking your time in perfecting your work, if the results are well worth it.

New Mutants Special #1 and X-Men Annuals #9 & #10 are sumptuous banquets for the eyes. Every page is a masterpiece, a delight to behold, and each time, there's something new to see.

I pick up NM Special #1 whenever I can. Not only is it a tough, tough book in 9.8, but it's criminally cheap.

Longshot was his first mainstream work, so it's a little sketchy, but by 1985-86, he was producing masterpieces. By 1990, it was pretty much over. I think his last really great work was X-Men Annual #12.

I wish he still did, but I'm not sure he can anymore.

New Mutants Special #1 and X-Men Annuals #9 & #10 are sumptuous banquets for the eyes. Every page is a masterpiece, a delight to behold, and each time, there's something new to see.

I pick up NM Special #1 whenever I can. Not only is it a tough, tough book in 9.8, but it's criminally cheap.

Longshot was his first mainstream work, so it's a little sketchy, but by 1985-86, he was producing masterpieces. By 1990, it was pretty much over. I think his last really great work was X-Men Annual #12.

Every word my friend, every word

Every word my friend, every word

This doesn't happen often, but I am in complete agreement with RMA on this one.

This is an excerpt off his interview @ Comics Interview #46

CBA: What was High Anxiety [misnaming High Energy]?

Arthur: [laughs frenzied and nervously] That never happened! There is no High Anxiety! [laughs] It's an old Mel Brooks movie! [laughter] Honestly, I met some guy-can't even remember his name now, it's been so long-at a convention, and he was putting together a comic book magazine, and he saw some of my stuff and asked me to put something together, and I put together something I hope will never, ever see print! Ever! [laughter] It was pretty bad.

CBA: What was it?

Arthur: I can't remember it that well, it was just not good. [laughs]

CBA: Was it super-heroes, science-fiction...?

Arthur: [sobbing] It was horror, as I recall... please stop. I'll give you money.

CBA: [laughs, after accepting a large sum of cash] Thanks. We'll move on, now! Was that your first published work?

Arthur: That might've been the first, but the first piece I was ever definitely paid for, was a pin-up in the back of Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew

I thought his Ultimate X stuff was really good.

(not my pages)

AAdams002.jpg

UltimateX05pg20.jpg

But mostly these days he's doing covers. He had a "run" of about 10-15 covers for secret avengers.

He also did the insanely cool connecting covers for Original Sin, which IMO is one of the best things he's ever done. It's 8 connecting covers. In spoilers because of the insane size.

Original-Sin-BAW.jpg

Art does a bunch of variant covers these days. I think he's done a handful for the current John Carter series as well as the Marvel ones. I picked this one up a few years ago, I think it's for AvengersChildre's Crusade #3:

1510017-scarlet_witch.jpg

Edited by pmpknface

Disagree it was over after 1990.

Art Adams is still the man. Do you hear me, punks?

STILL THE MAN.

Totally! I like his stuff from the last ten years better than the stuff from the first ten years!